Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need some advise >

Need some advise

Need some advise

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Need some advise

I'm looking to finally dive into some club racing next year and need advise on if I should keep running my current rig, cen matrix buggy with nova .21 3 port, or upgrade to a new D8. The D8 falls into my budget if I were to get a new buggy, any other buggy would have to be purchased used which isn't a problem. My servos are good, I spent money there, the only other idea would be to buy a new radio since I'm currently using a Airtronics MX3 FM. The radio works fine I have never had to worry about interference because everyone at the track is pretty much using 2.4. Just need a little advise. I've been running the matrix for about 2 years and got it dialed in pretty good for the local track and have gotten to were I run pretty consistent, just need to start picking up more speed. Just looking for your thoughts, thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

If i was you i would run the buggy you have now until you spend more time fixing it the you do racing. The D8 is a good buggy for sure i mean if you have money burning a hole in your pocket i would get it. as far as you motor the n21bf is a great little motor for racing. I would look at picking up a new radio prob something like the spektrum or something along those lines.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its not that I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I'm just looking to next year and am willing to spend around $300 if I need to. I'm not looking to go dominate, I just feel like I'm ready to jump in and want to be some what competitive.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

If thats the case then i would get the D8 for sure.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

I have a D8 it's a good car, but from where your standing why not keep your current car, putt the money in track fees. you have a great motor, you have a good radio. do your research on improvements for your car, suspension, gearing, tires etc. then when you are dominating on the track then spend the coin for a new set of wheels.
good luck have fun at the races
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the D8 is an awesome car. i absolutely love mine. very easy to drive, and very easy to maintain.

as far as some durability issues you might hear about is the shock towers, but this has been fixed with a newly revised rear shock tower that's a lot more beefy. also the CVD's were having issues breaking in the beginning, but they have made a material change and i haven't seen people experiencing this problem in a while.

switching to the D8 has definitely improved my lap times, and consistency. i highly recommend it!

if you get one and need any help, shoot me a PM or post here in the D8 thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ies-buggy.html

Happy racing!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You got a buggy and it seems like you have not done much if any club racing. I would stick to the CEN for atleast a 1/2 season or the whole season. Get a feel for club racing and the things you need. Your going to need lots fuel and some tires. A personal transponder is not a must but really great not have to worry about borrowing track transponders. You will understand what i'm talking about once you start racing. The things that make racing expensive are fuel, tires and entry fees. 1 gal. fuel $30 Race fee $15-$40 depending on race a set of tires about $50. You will go through about a 1/2 gallon or more of fuel or more each race unless you don't practice. Trust me being new your going to practice allot. Tires can be costly but a good set will last you 2 to 3 races or more. Before you buy tires make sure you go to the track and see what everyone else is running. Don't just start buying tires and wasting money. Save money where you can look for deals on the non renewables i.e. tires and fuel.

I would get:

2 cases of fuel someone usually has 2 cases for sell for around $150 2 cases generally will cost you $240 or more retail.
1 used transponder $75
spend the rest on tires. look in the for sale section someone always has tires for sale at a bargain. Only get nip and new
also make sure you got a good rx battery
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

I'd at least give the Matrix a shot at your first two races. I've seen one that was tuned well enough to be competitiive, if the driver would just stop crashing. But it looked good.

Then you'll be able to appreciate the agility of the newer buggies when your ready to move up.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
You got a buggy and it seems like you have not done much if any club racing. I would stick to the CEN for atleast a 1/2 season or the whole season. Get a feel for club racing and the things you need. Your going to need lots fuel and some tires. A personal transponder is not a must but really great not have to worry about borrowing track transponders. You will understand what i'm talking about once you start racing. The things that make racing expensive are fuel, tires and entry fees. 1 gal. fuel $30 Race fee $15-$40 depending on race a set of tires about $50. You will go through about a 1/2 gallon or more of fuel or more each race unless you don't practice. Trust me being new your going to practice allot. Tires can be costly but a good set will last you 2 to 3 races or more. Before you buy tires make sure you go to the track and see what everyone else is running. Don't just start buying tires and wasting money. Save money where you can look for deals on the non renewables i.e. tires and fuel.

I would get:

2 cases of fuel someone usually has 2 cases for sell for around $150 2 cases generally will cost you $240 or more retail.
1 used transponder $75
spend the rest on tires. look in the for sale section someone always has tires for sale at a bargain. Only get nip and new
also make sure you got a good rx battery

hmm... so where do you get 2 cases of fuel for 150?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I didn't read the whole post so i don't know if someone said this already... but from my experience. NEVER buy anything used.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smb17
I didn't read the whole post so i don't know if someone said this already... but from my experience. NEVER buy anything used.
i wouldn't necessarily say never. i've gotten a lot of great things used. it's probably best to say buy used WISELY, instead of never. but hey, to each his own. you must have lots of $$ flowing out of your pockets.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I say just get the d8
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
i wouldn't necessarily say never. i've gotten a lot of great things used. it's probably best to say buy used WISELY, instead of never. but hey, to each his own. you must have lots of $$ flowing out of your pockets.
Let me rephrase that. I wouldn't get a used car. Another person's upkeep isn't the same as your own. When you get something used you usually get a picture. The picture doesn't tell you how USED it is. Last time I got a used buggy all the diff's were blown out, out drives worn out, shafts worn out. Ebay wouldn't do anything about it. So I put enough into that buggy to where I could have bought another one. If you are going to get something used do it in person and make sure everything looks good. Lesson learned.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
hmm... so where do you get 2 cases of fuel for 150?
There are always guys in my area selling fuel. Usually they have won it at a race or have more than they need from there sponsor.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

You have a good radio and plenty of motor. I would say get the D8. A way better car than what you have now imo.