Wiki Posts
Search

question about diff oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default question about diff oils

just want to know the mechanism behind the different weight in fluid. Like does 2,000 make the tires spin with more speed or torque? Or does 7 or 10 thousand?

what effects does different weights have on the transmission? If i can understand this i will help with the setup i want.

cause i have no idea except when someone says such and such a weight will help understeer/ oversteer etc. That is cool. but a basic understanding would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Buggies dont have transmissions. Download the Hudy setup book and go to diffs and that is all you will ened to know about them.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

The lower the # the thinner the oil.The thinner the oil the easier the 2 tires on that diff can spin indipendintly.The thicker the oil the more the 2 wheels will be locked together up to say 100,000 in dirt they will act like a solid axle with no diff,both will spin the same speed even if one has no traction & the other is in a massive traction zone. Totaly opposite for thin oil like 1,00 in dirt the wheel with no traction will recieve all the power & balloon up like a pie plate & the one with lots of traction will do almost nothing,just sit there & not make the car move forward. Its all done by making the spider gears inside your diff have more resistance to pushing the oil out of the grooves where the teeth mesh.Thick oil is harder for one gear tooth peak to push the oil out of the other gears valley part of the teeth. Hope that helps but you still need to watch what the tires are doing from closer than the drivers stand when the car is doing something you dont like untill your used to how oil changes the handling. People will tell you this will do that but its only in general terms & you really wont be able to choose for yourself untill you just start trying different oils.Try large jumps in oil like 5,000wt at a time changes to see the difference in handling & once you get the idea of what your seing & feeling then it will be easier to zero in on what you want that diff to do.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanx butch. i felt like that was it all along, but that really helped me understand. And chris i downloaded the setup book. Thanx guys.