Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Differential question

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Differential question

So a while back my cousin gave me this acme conquistador. Everything ran well on it but one time it just started making a noise like grinding the gears on a 5 speed and it woulldnt move more than an inch.. Its a direct drive so i figured it was the diffs but when i took boht of them off the teeth were all intact. There were some filings in the case but nothing extreme, but then again i havent had much experience with the differentials of my cars. Anyonee have an idea of what the problem might be?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jab917
So a while back my cousin gave me this acme conquistador. Everything ran well on it but one time it just started making a noise like grinding the gears on a 5 speed and it woulldnt move more than an inch.. Its a direct drive so i figured it was the diffs but when i took boht of them off the teeth were all intact. There were some filings in the case but nothing extreme, but then again i havent had much experience with the differentials of my cars. Anyonee have an idea of what the problem might be?

sounds like you checked the Ring and Pinion gear's(Big gear and little gear)....but there's another set of gear's INSIDE the diff cup...im guessing you possibly blew those to smithereens...open the diff's and see what's up....worst case scenario you blew the bevel's apart...best case scenario a set screw backed off the drive shaft or something real simple....so check out the drive line first before tearing into the diffs too far.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

where are they? inside the little cylinder shaped casing? cause i just took those apart and everything is still intact any other ideas?