Wiki Posts
Search

rank the top five buggies

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
well, there is no way to tell you how the chicken tasted like... u hav to taste it urself...

can we offer u some X and show u how deep the rabbit hole goes?
if i get another buggy it would be a xray btw. but honestly i will stay with the 6 for a while. I have just about a complete set of spares for wear. If i get a new buggy, it will be expensive. although i have all the servos, engine and pipe

feel free to give me one though

nevermind, i quit doing X long ago lol!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
hahaha. i remember going to toys r us when i was a kid and drooling over the nikko rc's.

+1 - when I was 8 years - I actually went to my LHS and asked for a Nikkio,

they sold me a Tamiya Thundershot $99 for the Kit $39 for a extra reciever and Blackfoot $200 for everything hahahahahahahhaahha - now look at where Im at $1500 for one car
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
if i get another buggy it would be a xray btw. but honestly i will stay with the 6 for a while. I have just about a complete set of spares for wear. If i get a new buggy, it will be expensive. although i have all the servos, engine and pipe

feel free to give me one though

nevermind, i quit doing X long ago lol!!!

enjoy the mugen rehab for the time being... if u want some adrenaline get some X! after all, u can always go back to rehab with ur 6 right?

remember one thing, if u don't break anything, u are not driving fast enuf...

N'uff said!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Losi
Xray
Kyosho
Mugen
HB
Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I see that some people like to quote victory stats to justify their choices. I suppose you can go that route of you choose, but I don't give much credibility to high-profile wins and chapionships. Here's why.

Firstly, it's all in the driver. There are a handful of drivers that are top-tier, like Drake, Truhe, Hara, etc) that are capable of winning, regardless of the sponsorship sticker that you slap on the side of the bodyshell. Heck, they could probably still win driving a Hyper 7 and a little luck.

-The rest of us are, for the most part, nowhere near their level, and can't really exploit a given chassis or engine's maximum potential, so much of the "this car is faster than that car" is mostly moot.

Secondly, the top-tier drivers don't pay for their gear, be it cars, parts, engines, etc; they really couldn't care less if parts wear-out/need replacing after one main; they'll just toss the worn part over their shoulder, and bolt-on a brand-spanking new part, or pull a whole new car out of the box and keep going. And since they are "team" drivers, they never have to worry about a shortage of spares, because they have the direct backing of the sponsor, the very best and newest parts, and all of its ressources right at their fingertips.

-Those of us sponsored by our wallets, actually need to take into consideration not only the cost of spares & upgrades, but also availability (or lack thereof.) Some parts of the world are virtual toilets for R/C activity (like Quebec) so helpful hobby shops are few & far between, and having to order from overseas can be an exercise in patience, sanity, and a drain on the wallet.

Thirdly, because of the top-tier drivers' wealth of expertise and experience, they don't need anyone to help them troubleshoot the car, geometry or settings, since they contributed themselves to its design, and know their gear practically inside and out, in their sleep, with one hand tied behind their back.

-Many weekend warriors and novices (like myself) rely on sites like these to troubleshoot many of our problems (God bless the internet!) Unfortunately, some companies are very cryptic with helpful info, or just not helpful at all. For example, if I has one of those Team Magic abominations, I think I'd be crying my eyes out for lack of parts, club & technical support.

Anyway, all this to say that some of us, for the reasons listed above, have very different criteria in selecting gear than the big boys.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

D8
MBX6
Losi 8
RC8
MP9

Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revo61
D8
MBX6
Losi 8
RC8
MP9

thats right! D8 on top!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

guys you cant pick which car is the best by a handful of guys in the world that drive them. If you gave any of the top drivers another car they could do the same thing with it. Every car is diff then the others in the way they drive. Some cars you can drive and push harder then other and the other way around. Drake could drive a d8, xray, Ae, mugen all the same as he does his losi. maybe 5% is the car the other 95 % is all driver
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There are 8-10 Buggies out right now, that are all very capable of winning. To pick any one or even 5 as the best, would just be silly in the right hands all of them are more than capable:

XRAY, LOSI, AE, MUGEN,Tamiya, KYOSHO, Odonnell, Hot Bodies, HYPER9, SH Z, and Caster all make very good buggies..Take your pick!!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
There are 8-10 Buggies out right now, that are all very capable of winning. To pick any one or even 5 as the best, would just be silly in the right hands all of them are more than capable:

XRAY, LOSI, AE, MUGEN,Tamiya, KYOSHO, Odonnell, Hot Bodies, HYPER9, SH Z, and Caster all make very good buggies..Take your pick!!
Good post and agreed
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I tell people here locally to run something that a local sponsored fast guy runs, in our case there are 3-4 brands to pick from. Why, because they are supposed to help with setup, questions etc. A fairly good driver that doesn't have experience with setup will struggle, especially with todays new cars. If they have a local guy that knows the local tracks is a big help. Running the worlds winning setup may not help a Intermediate on a totally different track.

Rex
Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My top 5
1 RC8B
2 RC8 with BB shocks, steering and batt mod
3 RC8 with steering and batt mod
4 RC8 with steering mod
5 RC8
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The best buggy out there is the one that I am driving!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22Racer
I tell people here locally to run something that a local sponsored fast guy runs, in our case there are 3-4 brands to pick from. Why, because they are supposed to help with setup, questions etc. A fairly good driver that doesn't have experience with setup will struggle, especially with todays new cars. If they have a local guy that knows the local tracks is a big help. Running the worlds winning setup may not help a Intermediate on a totally different track.

Rex
In my experience most Pro's setups are too aggro for regular drivers
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22Racer

Rex
I agree with Rex's post! I switched to a MBX6 and MBX6T to try something new and because there are quite a few local fast guys that run them and they have been a big help with setup's and advice. I've gotten much faster as a result! When I ran Ofna, I felt like an outsider and could not get any help with my stuff locally.

My advice would be to buy a good quality kit that the fast drivers are running at your track or local series and pic their brains. If you would have asked me last year to rank the best buggy I would have said Losi 8 but now I'm a Mugen MBX6 lover! It's all personal preference anyways.

1. Mugen MBX6
2. Losi 2.0
3. Associated RC8 Factory Team
4. Kyosho MP9
5. Hot Bodies D8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.