Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How hard IS it to build an MBX6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default How hard IS it to build an MBX6?

If I've never built a nitro 1/8 scale before?

I am not an idiot and would take it slow and go bag by bag. I should be fine
eh?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mugen cars usually go together without much trouble. You might run into a small snag or two due to the lack of good text but people on here will answer any questions you might have.

Just make sure you have some good metric allen drivers. You could build it with the included L wrenches but I would not advise it.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You'll do fine if you go slow and pay attention.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

locktite, ca and propper shimming, just like all kits.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1. sand the diff cups and inside the gearbox

2. before you put the pillow balls in the upper and lower arms (in the front), pre thread the arms, ie take a same size screw or the balls themselves and turn them with a pair of pliers. do this and you wont strip the ball head.

3. grease the outdrives (the metal things that go into the diff cups), do not overfill the spider gears. fill just above the crosspins.

4. they are NOT self locking wheel nuts. You must tighten them.

5. when shimming the diff (you will know because they will show you a pic of a shim on the outdrive going into the case). leave just a tick of play between the bevel and conical. the pic shows shimming for tighter gear mesh. Well both of mine had to be shimmed for less.

6. make sure the bevel gear (the one that connects to the center drive shafts) is very very snug with the universal cups.

7. you will more then likely put one or more of the arms upside down or on the wrong side. There will be a very small L or R in the lower corner. Find it.

8. the clutch can be a little tricky. you will need ALOT of the shims. the pic shows only two. Keep about .5 mm of play between the bell and screw at the end of the shaft.

9. when setting the gear mesh between your clutch bell and spur. Get a plastic baggie from your kit (one of the thinest ones) and put it between your bell and sput and hold the engine and bell against the spur when you tighten it. I screwed this up pretty bad before i learned. Make sure your entire drive train is free and smooth as a baby's ass

10. last but not least. there is a protective cover over the lexan body. LEave it on while you paint the underside
Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like the student has become the master! Way to pay attention Dreaux.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Its about as hard to build a modern rc kit as it is to read the instructions twice over. All the newer vehicles, parts are so much more precise, fit is much better across the board. old cars, especially 10th scales would take filing of parts, sanding, trimming, etc, etc.

Just take it step by step, don't rush it, build it over say a weeks time, depending on how much free time you have. Make sure everything is tight, locktite anything that may back out of metal parts. I've never built a mugen, so i'm not familiar with their manuals, but if they are as in-depth as an Assocuiated manual, you will feel very comfortable the whole way through.

and like someone else said, ask questions on here if you get lost!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by butch man
Sounds like the student has become the master! Way to pay attention Dreaux.
thanx butch my driving is getting better too.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by megasaxon
Its about as hard to build a modern rc kit as it is to read the instructions twice over. All the newer vehicles, parts are so much more precise, fit is much better across the board. old cars, especially 10th scales would take filing of parts, sanding, trimming, etc, etc.

Just take it step by step, don't rush it, build it over say a weeks time, depending on how much free time you have. Make sure everything is tight, locktite anything that may back out of metal parts. I've never built a mugen, so i'm not familiar with their manuals, but if they are as in-depth as an Assocuiated manual, you will feel very comfortable the whole way through.

and like someone else said, ask questions on here if you get lost!
it's written by japeneese people. so uh i can say without a doubt that it's probably not as good as associated. But yea take your time and get it right. i took 2 weeks.

use thread lock but don't use it on your servo saver shafts and engine mount screws (under the chassis) if you do use just a LITTLE LITTLE BIT. all the other metel to metal is ok.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

chad i know some who can build the car and paint the body at the same time. COUGH COUGH
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
chad i know some who can build the car and paint the body at the same time. COUGH COUGH
^^^LOL. Sounds like if you get in a pinch and need a little extra help, you will have someone around you. Like everyone else said though. Take your time and DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!!! Sometimes people can be harsh around here, but it is better to ask in advance and save yourself the pains later on. I had a lot of issues on my first build I ever did, but I didn't really know what I was doing and I never asked questions. I was really to throw it all away very quickly...and then someone helped me out. WOW was i dumb.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You might also want to leave the S3 O-rings out of the diffs (the ones that go behind the planetary gears.)

Also, there are a few mods you can make that will keep things running more smoothly. For instance, I would suggest trimming back/rounding the edges of the black plastic splash guard in the area near the carb boot. Another thing I do, since the pipe sits very close to the tank is that I put some heat insulation material on the side of the tank facing the pipe to avoid unnecessary heat transfer and potential vapor-lock.

-Leave off the little rubber boots on the driveline CVDs; they have been known to come loose and cause damage, especially to the fuel tank.

-Grind down the aluminium pylon that holds the pipe wire; the latter is very close to the fuel tank and with heavy chassis flex, the tank can hit the pylon and crack. That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy

LOL

I'm considering buying a brand new one, unless I can find a nice roller. But if I did, how long do you think it would take you and me to build it if I brought it over?

It's not the BUILDING of the car that I am concerned with, I am sure I could do it, it's just all these little "tips" and "secrets" about building this car that are probably NOT in the manual, but rather just from people having "trial and error" situations.

Kind of like how that one guy a few posts up is saying stuff like "the instructions dont use enough shims here, and etc. etc."
Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13
LOL

I'm considering buying a brand new one, unless I can find a nice roller. But if I did, how long do you think it would take you and me to build it if I brought it over?

It's not the BUILDING of the car that I am concerned with, I am sure I could do it, it's just all these little "tips" and "secrets" about building this car that are probably NOT in the manual, but rather just from people having "trial and error" situations.

Kind of like how that one guy a few posts up is saying stuff like "the instructions dont use enough shims here, and etc. etc."
the stuff i wrote is not really secret stuff. You will be fine with or without it. I have not built a car in 15 years before this one. Thease things i said probably apply to most rc's. And those were the areas that i had problems with. I am glad i went through it though. I know my buggy on a personal level. you will be fine. THe drive train will take some amount of trial and era. But then again that was just me. You might get it right the first time.

oh. almost forgot. The throtle linkage gave me fitts. you might want to consider getting the dynamite linkage kit up front. I just now have the linkage figured out. and it still gives me fits.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Another thing worth doing if you're handy with an exacto knife is to make some gaskets out of heavy card-stock paper, felt or even some gasket material for between the gearboxes and the chassis. In a pinch, a little grease will do, it just guarantees the inside of the gearboxes stay clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.