R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Set up station or camber guage??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/316688-set-up-station-camber-guage.html)

maximuspowell 08-02-2009 07:37 AM

Set up station or camber guage???

What is your opinion? It seems to me that the only thing the set up station is good for is to set up front toe. That when trying to set up camber front and rear that the set up station just isn't enough. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

fukitol 08-02-2009 07:51 AM

love mine. throw it on the setup station after every tear down. no guess work ya know:batman:

butch man 08-02-2009 10:10 AM

How precise do you want to be & how much money you want to spend? Station is the only way to go for me. If you think a rpm guage will be the same as setup station your dreaming. If your one of those that has to be exact & want it the same every time then spend the money. If you the type that is satisfied with a quick check & go by it feels good to me then save the money for tires or fuel & get the plastic camber guage.

silverM3 08-02-2009 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by maximuspowell (Post 6149797)
What is your opinion? It seems to me that the only thing the set up station is good for is to set up front toe. That when trying to set up camber front and rear that the set up station just isn't enough. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?

I have this for almost 3 yrs. I think it is worth every penny.

http://www.rc-toro.com/product_info....9f2b2ac9c7e601

FactoryTeam08 08-02-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by butch man (Post 6150253)
How precise do you want to be & how much money you want to spend? Station is the only way to go for me. If you think a rpm guage will be the same as setup station your dreaming. If your one of those that has to be exact & want it the same every time then spend the money. If you the type that is satisfied with a quick check & go by it feels good to me then save the money for tires or fuel & get the plastic camber guage.

Setup station might be accurate but is negated by the slop in our cars, put a sloppy losi on the station and the rpm gauge is just as good.

casevac 08-02-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08 (Post 6150932)
Setup station might be accurate but is negated by the slop in our cars, put a sloppy losi on the station and the rpm gauge is just as good.

You might get the same result, and alot cheaper, for sure.
However, when you adjust toe, you change camber, and vice versa.
Drop it in to the setup bench, have some ride height blocks (I make my own out of wood) under it and its dialed in 5 minutes. Camber, toe, steering/servo adjustment, front caster.
Best thing would perhaps be to get together and share one, because you really dont use it on a daily basis (unless you do changes on a daily basis).

Devilbrad 08-02-2009 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by casevac (Post 6150963)
You might get the same result, and alot cheaper, for sure.
However, when you adjust toe, you change camber, and vice versa.
Drop it in to the setup bench, have some ride height blocks (I make my own out of wood) under it and its dialed in 5 minutes. Camber, toe, steering/servo adjustment, front caster.
Best thing would perhaps be to get together and share one, because you really dont use it on a daily basis (unless you do changes on a daily basis).

Actually, camber doesnt change when you adjust toe. Having worked on full size cars and race cars for close to 20 years, first rule of alignments is do it alphabetically. Camber, then caster, then toe. That way each step doesnt change the previous step. Saves time and hassle.

FactoryTeam08 08-02-2009 03:18 PM

I use a setup station and they are great for toe and I do like mine but they are by no means necessary, in fact, my camber gauge is just as good...

Buy a station if you can afford one but don't for a moment think that you need one.

PTP Racing 08-02-2009 03:35 PM

I bought a set-up station a long time ago. I used it to set up my car and it was out to lunch. I cant explain it. It should have been light years better but it wasnt.

I use this now. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Gauge-Green

It works great as long as you have a nice flat surface to work off.

casevac 08-02-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Devilbrad (Post 6151076)
Actually, camber doesnt change when you adjust toe. Having worked on full size cars and race cars for close to 20 years, first rule of alignments is do it alphabetically. Camber, then caster, then toe. That way each step doesnt change the previous step. Saves time and hassle.

Werent aware of that rule, anywho - I personally find it more conveinient to do theese settings while the car is mounted in a setup station.

Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08 (Post 6151106)
Buy a station if you can afford one but don't for a moment think that you need one.

:nod:

NitroAmmo 08-02-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryTeam08 (Post 6151106)
I use a setup station and they are great for toe and I do like mine but they are by no means necessary, in fact, my camber gauge is just as good...

Somebody else is always willing to show their's off and use it too! :nod: