Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Lipo Receiver Batteries for Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy

Hello all,

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Presumably this is overkill.

2) This is what I am looking at, but they seem to be OOS everywhere. Do you have any other suggestions?

3) I have two on/off switches - one has a three prong connector (on the battery side) and one has a two prong connector. In looking at batteries, it seems that the Losi batteries use the two prong connector and it doesn't fit the 3 prong connector. Is the connector type manufacturer specific?

4) I got a switch with the two prong connector in the RTR from Losi, but can't seem to find the replacement part. This is the closest I can find to match, but don't know for certain that it does.

Thanks a lot.

[EDIT]I attached pictures of the two connectors. The red connector has two notches on the top that prevent it from going into the black connector. I guess I can cut them off, but for a few $ it hardly seems worth the effort.

[EDIT]For those that think I am an idiot , I know these two pictured connectors will never go together. Imagine the other end that fits these pictured connectors perfectly. The red one has two notches on the top that prevent it from slipping into the black one.
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Receiver Batteries for Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy-dscf3245.jpg   Lipo Receiver Batteries for Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy-dscf3246.jpg  
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Hello all,

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Presumably this is overkill.

2) This is what I am looking at, but they seem to be OOS everywhere. Do you have any other suggestions?

3) I have two on/off switches - one has a three prong connector (on the battery side) and one has a two prong connector. In looking at batteries, it seems that the Losi batteries use the two prong connector and it doesn't fit the 3 prong connector. Is the connector type manufacturer specific?

4) I got a switch with the two prong connector in the RTR from Losi, but can't seem to find the replacement part. This is the closest I can find to match, but don't know for certain that it.

Thanks a lot.

[EDIT]I attached pictures of the two connectors. The red connector has two notches on the top that prevent it from going into the black connector. I guess I can cut them off, but for a few $ it hardly seems worth the effort.
ok on the losi vehicles you need the losi rx pack ...the losi rx box is small in comparision to some ....the losi rx pack is the best fit ...and yes choice 1 is overkill and prolly wont fit ...also you need a regulator if you arent running higher volyage servos ...on the connector ....alot of connectors are like a servo connector ...if you battery connector is of the bigger typ you may have to shave off the side that is not used ...if that makes sense ...it is a normal thing to have to do ...i just had to shave one this morning while working on a buddies truck ....the losi switches and batts use a jst connector ...and not the standard hitech connector ...i will take a pic of the one i shaved it may make more sense ...brb
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zixxer
ok on the losi vehicles you need the losi rx pack ...the losi rx box is small in comparision to some ....the losi rx pack is the best fit ...and yes choice 1 is overkill and prolly wont fit ...also you need a regulator if you arent running higher volyage servos ...on the connector ....alot of connectors are like a servo connector ...if you battery connector is of the bigger typ you may have to shave off the side that is not used ...if that makes sense ...it is a normal thing to have to do ...i just had to shave one this morning while working on a buddies truck ....the losi switches and batts use a jst connector ...and not the standard hitech connector ...i will take a pic of the one i shaved it may make more sense ...brb
This is an example of me not seeing the forest for the trees. I already knew about the regulator (I am running Hitec 7955 for steering and 7965 for throttle/braking), but I just assumed that the connectors would all work.

Is the pack I referenced in #2, the right one?

If so, does the switch in #4 appear to be correct?

Thanks a lot.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

i dont have great light in here ..but you may get the idea ...basically this connector started out as a 2 wire plug in a larger hitech connector ...if that makes sense ...so the side where the 3rd wire would go you just shave it off with a razor knife and it will allow you to plug it into you losi switch plug ...if you stick with th elosi batt it should just plug right in ...i run the losi batt and regulator ...you will always have to finagle things to make different brands match up ....every one would rather you buy all there junk but it doesnt always work out that way ...hope that made sense and or helped
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Receiver Batteries for Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy-img_2909.jpg   Lipo Receiver Batteries for Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy-img_2911.jpg  
Old 08-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

This is an example of me not seeing the forest for the trees. I already knew about the regulator (I am running Hitec 7955 for steering and 7965 for throttle/braking), but I just assumed that the connectors would all work.

Thanks a lot.
to make it all work without modifying anything you need a switch with a jst connector ...sorry sometime i know what i want to say but dont say it just right ....you may have to mix and match and cut and solder connectors to make it all work ...and yes the pack #2 is the one you want for a losi vehicle ...but if you want to not have to cut and or solder you need a switch with a jst connector
Old 08-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

and yes after looking at the futaba switch more closer ..it looks like it has the jst plug on the battery side ...so if you couple that with the losi rx pack#2 you should be golden
Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Thanks a lot.
+1 on the 7955 & 7965 I have that combo in my truggy and I love it.

As for the switch this one from JR is great. CLICK HERE
Old 08-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the black female plug you have is a JR Type....the Red connector is a JST....the 3 pin plug like the JR but has the little tab on the side is a Futaba......it would be nice is everything was standardized but the fact that everyone has their own preference in plugs most just solder on what they use and be done with it.

as for packs....check ebay....there's quite a few good deals to be had.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You could just get the losi regulator w/switch, mine has jst for batt, JR for receiver. I also made a adapter, jst for batt, JR for receiver, no switch or regulator so I mostly run direct.
My nomadio transeiver is large and the losi receiver box is too small to fit both comfortably.I run a Hitec7955 st, hitec5955 thr/b. Did you say what radio you use?