cv pin removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Interesting read :

Two questions, if I may:

1- Can anyone please point out a budget ebay chain breaker that actually works?
2- What do you replace the pins with? (MBX6 for me - pins are worn out, time for a replacement)

thanks

Paul
you replace worn pins with new pins, no?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
you replace worn pins with new pins, no?

part #????

there's no such thing as a "bone replacement pin" that I know of in Mugen's partslist... hence my question - what do you guys use?

Paul
Old 07-31-2009, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

part #????

there's no such thing as a "bone replacement pin" that I know of in Mugen's partslist... hence my question - what do you guys use?

Paul
should be 3mm diameter pins...

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...p?idproduct=69

cheers!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Master

part no: MUGC0265

Old 07-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by air8
I can recommend steering away from the Innovative Bone saver. I've tried two different ones. Same results. The bolts aren't strong enough grade material. If they were Grade 8 it might work better. But it's basically a one time use tool.

I purchased my two Bone savers about 6 months apart. I waited till they were on backorder hoping they would come out with higher grade bolts. But no. Same pieces broke on both. The Bone Saver works good for about 3-4 driveshafts and then the bolts are done.
The bolts have been upgraded to a grade 8.
It’s not a onetime use tool. Many others and I have used the same tool for years with no issues. With the grade 5 bolts.
I do not recall ever hearing from you on your tool issues, so you never gave me, the manufacture to make the tool right for you.
If you wear the bone pin down to the point where it is like a needle, sure I can see the pin deflecting and breaking.
I designed the tool, make the tool, market the tool, and stand behind the tool.
Therefore, if there are issues, I will replace whatever parts need replacing, or refund the end user for the tool.
I have only had a few with problems, and the ones that called me or e-mailed me I took care of, no questions asked.
All tools will have some kind of issues one time or another, there is no way around that.

Everybody has his or her own opinion, but I have yet to see anyone mention that using a chain breaker in inherently dangerous. What happens when the pin shatters and impales the user, are you that are so in favor of using a tool for something it was not designed for going to pay the medical cost for those who are injured?
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ganymede
should be 3mm diameter pins...

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...p?idproduct=69

cheers!
interesting - are you saying spare joint pins would fit on the bone side??? I guess I'll pull out the calipers this evening, as I'd think the joint pins would be both longer and thinner...

will con/in-firm later.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ralph Walters
It’s not a onetime use tool. Many others and I have used the same tool for years with no issues. With the grade 5 bolts.
I do not recall ever hearing from you on your tool issues, so you never gave me, the manufacture to make the tool right for you.
If you wear the bone pin down to the point where it is like a needle, sure I can see the pin deflecting and breaking.
Therefore, if there are issues, I will replace whatever parts need replacing, or refund the end user for the tool.
I have only had a few with problems, and the ones that called me or e-mailed me I took care of, no questions asked.
All tools will have some kind of issues one time or another, there is no way around that.

Everybody has his or her own opinion, but I have yet to see anyone mention that using a chain breaker in inherently dangerous. What happens when the pin shatters and impales the user, are you that are so in favor of using a tool for something it was not designed for going to pay the medical cost for those who are injured?

The pin is captured in the main tube...there's NO chance of it "shattering" and "impaling" the user....the breaker works....your tool works....but not as good....let's just say that....that's my opinion deal with it.

for the guys wanting a link to the breaker here ya go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...motiveQ5fTools

As for pins you can go mugen or Xray....$for$ and availability i use Mugen pins....12.8 for center bones and 13.8 for wheel bones.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

interesting - are you saying spare joint pins would fit on the bone side??? I guess I'll pull out the calipers this evening, as I'd think the joint pins would be both longer and thinner...

will con/in-firm later.

Thanks,
Paul

these are 3x12 and 3.13 the other end pins are 2.5mm
Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default hey

arr thanks mate im hoping that i can find one here in australia as its cheap to buy it but the postage hurts on that wich is a shame baut thanks for the link mate
Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

C0265 is the pins for the front and rear drive shafts (3 x 13)
C0270 is the pins for the front and rear center drive shafts (3 x 12)

The center shafts need shorter to reduce the risk of catching the brake pads and the angles do not get extreme compared to the F/R drive shafts, the front and rear drive shafts need slightly longer to ensure enough pin still contacts the outdrive cups when as entreme angles(full extension or under full compression of the suspension).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My apologies Mr. Walters. I purchased the tool from an on-line store. I didnt' find contact information in the box or the online store. And after some internet searching I found nothing more about the tool or where to purchase replacement parts.

My only reasoning for calling it a one time use tool was the fact, the bolt which is machined down to press the drive pin all the way out, broke. I purchased a second Bonesaver to get a measurement from this bolt so I could try to machine some grade 8 bolts. I came up empty searching for any kind of replacement parts. Again i apologize if you have updated the system.

However I would be interested how to purchase the Grade 8 hardware from you. These can be handy tools when at the out of town races because they pack away so compactly.

Thanx
Chris
Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Addict

I have a bonesaver and I'm happy with the tool. It does the job and fits in my toolbox. I did have a the same problem with the screws breaking and I contacted Ralph by email and he sent me grade 8 replacements no questions asked. The customer support was great.

If the pins are worn to the point that they are thin, you need to grind down the thin part.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

That's good to know about grinding the pin down. I sent Ralph a PM saying pretty much the same as above. It's good to see guys standing behind their product.

Last edited by air8; 08-01-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Ralph set me up good. Two sets of new bolts, upgraded to grade 8, plus new instructions. So I must say the Bonesaver is working for me again. I replaced the pins in 5 or 6 cv shafts this weekend with no problemo'. So I'm happy to have this tool back in the box even though I usually only replace the shafts at home. But you never know when you'll need the right tool for someone else. LOL.

Thanx again Ralph for the hook up.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Micro-Press

This works good too, and is a lot less than the Hudy tool. You need a vise to clamp it in though, to hold it. So it's kinda hard to use at the track. But then, you shouldn't need to replace CV pins at the track anyway.
+1 This is a great tool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.