R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   First time racing... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/315645-first-time-racing.html)

jhipps835 07-28-2009 11:28 PM

First time racing...

I got my buggy about two weeks ago and have breaking it in and running it in the yard and street. Ive gone to the track to practice with my truggy but then sold it to get my losi buggy. And havent been to the track yet with it. How many times have you guys gone practicing before racing? Would 4 hours be enough? This saturday there is practice 12-4 and racing at 5. There is also practice Thursday 5-10 and Friday 5-10. How much practice would be enough to be ready to race? Any input would be nice

markr04 07-28-2009 11:39 PM

If you can make it around the track, staying in the lanes, and you're not a danger to yourself or others, then go race. There should be a "Sportsman" class at your track, and it is open for n00bs to near-experts (or near-intermediate if your track has it).

sperera 07-28-2009 11:42 PM

I think 4 hours should be enough, as long as your not planning to win stright off the bat.

As helpful as practice is, your first few racers are better practice on how to drive when other vehicles are in the mix.

I would start racing after 4 hours of alone practice.

air8 07-29-2009 01:06 AM

There's no such thing as too much practice. The more you drive the more comfortable you will be.

Remember to go be a turn marshall after your race.
Try not to slow other racers down with your vehicle.
Try not to slam into other racers' vehicles when entering corners.
Make sure you have a throttle return band(rubber bands for hair) or spring.
Pay for your racing fees before the Mains-your final race of the day.
Be sure to ask many, many questions. Ask the owner,director,parts person,racers...etc.

These things plus hundreds more will help you develop a good reputation at the track, and learn quickly.

cluffy1 07-29-2009 01:31 AM

i had no practice when i went to my first race 5 months ago. i started my car and warmed it up in the car park thats all the practice i had.

few simple rules.

if you miss a corner don't backtrack in the middle of the track(you mite hit another car headon)
don't try to spot a car that is going belistic by puting your finger over the exhuast pipe(it hurts a lot). try to keep out of the way of other drivers when marshalling( it hurst getting a buggy to the ancle)
ask as many questions as possible

good luck and have fun
dane

Frank L 07-29-2009 06:24 AM

Theres always practice before the race which is fine just remember that you will be setting up your pit and bs ing with your friends at the track so forthose 4 hours you may get a good 2 in. if you break something then you wl eat up that time fixing the car too. Also before the race the track will be packed with other drivers usually, this always makes it harder to practice and get your lines down. The best technique for practice I have found is to go a day or 2 before and practice when there's no pressure, no time limit, the track only has a coir cars on it and fewer people there equal fewer diatractions. Then you can get your engine dialed in and car tuned right. When I go a few days before o fnd I do better on race day and I am more comfortable on the drivers stand. More practice never hurt anyone.

token 07-29-2009 06:51 AM

You can race with no practice at all - you will be in the way and everyone yelling at you, learn to pull over for faster guys - look at the nitro pit chall this year, everyone in the mains was pulling over for Tebo and (one of the Ryans)

Practice as much as you can, you can only get better, no such thing as to much practice. Get to the track early and watch the pro guys practice - get on the track ad run with them.

roadracer43 07-29-2009 07:06 AM

The more wheel time you have the better off you will be. Follow the instructions given in earlier posts and you will be ok. Never try to race someone that has already lapped you. They have the right of way.

hms88 07-29-2009 07:16 AM

Everyone at Leisure hours which is where i believe you are going to race are very understandable. The first few times i raced i never had practice except before the race. Just listen to everyones advice from above.. and don't take me out!!

Semple 07-29-2009 07:33 AM

I just went to open practices for a year before actually racing. Even so, that first club race I was nervous and frantic the whole day. I had way too much fun that day and every other day I am at the track.

R/C Lidz 07-29-2009 01:27 PM

there's a whole lot more to raing than just the 6 minutes you're on the track. Go to a couple of races first to get the hang of the ins and outs of a race day. That way you're not so caught up in the mix that you don't get to enjoy the day. You figure an average race day is 8-10 hours with only about 45 minutes of track time. In between you have to marshall, fix and/or prep your car.

Akhor 07-29-2009 01:31 PM

Just jump right in.. There is no better way to learn.

Jaz240 07-29-2009 01:37 PM

I also did what I thought was practicing on a track for about a year before I started racing..Turns out what I was doing was just running on a track, as I was not really trying set-ups or attempting to get any faster...I bashed for 10 years before it got boring and I wanted to run my stuff on tracks just becasue it was more fun..I didn't ever plan to race, because I watched races and saw how many guys totally destroyed their cars (especially in novice class) I figured I would do the same thing, so I never raced, Last September someone talked me into racing, and I sure wished I had started earlier..It is the most thing you can do with an RC car, and I wish I would have actually been practicing the whole time, because my racing sucks!! Its an adrenaline rush, and I cant find that happy medium between going so slow you lose, or driving fast as hell and crashing and losing:D

fatdaddy 07-29-2009 01:40 PM

just have fun and dont be discouraged when somebody has a pissy fit. some people take this way too seriously.

just remember, were grown men racing with toy cars for bowling trophys ;)

shanty140 07-29-2009 02:07 PM

This year was my first for racing and I just jump right into it. My first time ever on the track was my first qualifier. Of coarse I started in Slass class and went from there. After one race I brought out the buggy.