Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tough Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Tough Truggy

hey.. I was wonder which rtr truggy stands king of the hill in the bashing arena. Its mainly between the jammin, 8t 2.0, RC8t but I am open to suggestion. I know about the TTR st-1 but parts would be hard to come by seeing that its mainly amain that carries parts.

If i get the jammin I would be able to get a 2.4ghz radio and a starter box

If i get the losi then that already has the stuff

If i get the RC8t then I would only be able to get a 2.4ghz radio OR a starter box

my budget is $750 and Im pretty sure I want a truggy no racingjust light to moderate bashing
Old 07-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default back yard basher

If your not going to race don't spend the cash on a new race truck , get a used one it would be just right for bashing . I have a used MBX5T that is sitting in a box . it is one tuff truck .. I would let it go for 200.00 . I might even be able to find enough stuff to get you going . all but the radio gear !! LMK
Old 07-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I would have to say the losi 2.0. I admit I am definatly biased but the losi trucks have been good to me for the last 2 seasons.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

go losi 2.0, has everything you could ever need to race it or bash it, easy to get parts for, and bad fast
Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Get what your local hobby store will support. Also check with your friends, see what they are running.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have to go against the grain here and say don't buy the losi 2.0 RTR truggy to bash with. It comes with the 454(.28) engine and it's a fuel hog. I can barely get 5 mins on a tank of fuel. sure it's a great truggy and is fast, but it's no fun when every time you get it up to temp you have to stop and refuel.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by sickmojave
I have to go against the grain here and say don't buy the losi 2.0 RTR truggy to bash with. It comes with the 454(.28) engine and it's a fuel hog. I can barely get 5 mins on a tank of fuel. sure it's a great truggy and is fast, but it's no fun when every time you get it up to temp you have to stop and refuel.
if you want long run times in a RTR you can't buy an 1/8th scale anyway. I've never seem an RTR 1/8 motor that got more than 8 minutes. need a 1/10 gas truck or something electric to get more run time
Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by megasaxon
if you want long run times in a RTR you can't buy an 1/8th scale anyway. I've never seem an RTR 1/8 motor that got more than 8 minutes. need a 1/10 gas truck or something electric to get more run time

Well if that's the case go with the losi. I really like mine but I'm going to a .21 engine for better run times.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say for bashing the Losi would NOT be my top choice. The parts wear on them is pretty high, meaning it costs more to maintain. (If you are racing, bite the bullet and get the Losi, it is a purebred racer!)

For bashing, I'd look for TOUGHNESS not all out performance. The XRAY XT8 (I have that for that very reason, even though I race and don't bash) or an MBX5T are both good candidates.

It would be very tough to stay in your budget with anything new, except the RTR Losi is VERY close to that...

The Caster K8T might be a good choice... I think is may come with a 2.4 ghz radio, (Check with them please... I'm not positive on that... I know SOME of the RTR stuff does...) and is priced reasonable. (I think $350 with current "sale code" of "Summer Sale") Not sure about the servos, but on most RTR buggies and truggies the steering servo is a weak point (even on the Losi.) It is also pretty tough, if not well known. It is not a "new tech" truck like the Losi or MBX6T, in fact is is very similar to an MBX5T... I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with "super big bore" shocks, and that it "dogbones" instead of CVDs for the center and rear drivetrain, where the pro version has CVDs.

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...2&cat=1&page=2

I'm not saying that is THE truck to buy, just offering it up as an option. It is a lot of value for your hard earned money, and I wouldn't have any hesitation to race it either. (Although I would probably replace the steering servo, like any RTR.)

Also, for bashing... 2.4 ghz isn't strictly needed... it is nice to have though, as you never have to worry about frequency conflicts.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

LOSI
Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I would say for bashing the Losi would NOT be my top choice. The parts wear on them is pretty high, meaning it costs more to maintain. (If you are racing, bite the bullet and get the Losi, it is a purebred racer!)

For bashing, I'd look for TOUGHNESS not all out performance. The XRAY XT8 (I have that for that very reason, even though I race and don't bash) or an MBX5T are both good candidates.

It would be very tough to stay in your budget with anything new, except the RTR Losi is VERY close to that...

The Caster K8T might be a good choice... I think is may come with a 2.4 ghz radio, (Check with them please... I'm not positive on that... I know SOME of the RTR stuff does...) and is priced reasonable. (I think $350 with current "sale code" of "Summer Sale") Not sure about the servos, but on most RTR buggies and truggies the steering servo is a weak point (even on the Losi.) It is also pretty tough, if not well known. It is not a "new tech" truck like the Losi or MBX6T, in fact is is very similar to an MBX5T... I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with "super big bore" shocks, and that it "dogbones" instead of CVDs for the center and rear drivetrain, where the pro version has CVDs.

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...2&cat=1&page=2

I'm not saying that is THE truck to buy, just offering it up as an option. It is a lot of value for your hard earned money, and I wouldn't have any hesitation to race it either. (Although I would probably replace the steering servo, like any RTR.)

Also, for bashing... 2.4 ghz isn't strictly needed... it is nice to have though, as you never have to worry about frequency conflicts.
Thanks for the info about the caster but parts availability looks to be a problem.

I have also heard about the parts wear on the losi...

anyone have any info on the durability of the jammin kinda leaning towards that one. Heard the x1 was durable as hell don't know about the x2. so If you guys have any more advise its all welcomes
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

I think a 2.4ghz will be best for me.. I have no luck with pull out antennas no matter how hard i try lol but the main reason is I also bash with a few guys that run fm and am... plus its the new thing
Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

If all your going to do is bashing, I wouldn't get any of those three. You simply don't need to spend that much to bash. I would suggest a Thunder Tiger ST-1. I have an RC8T right now, but before this I had an ST-1, and it was TOUGH. Plus, you can't beat the price, $289 at amainhobbies.com
Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

the jammin x2 is an awesome truck! very durable and i've had no problems with it. i drive very aggressive and put the truck through some amazing crashes. one being the truck cartwheeled for about 40 feet and nothing broke. i can't speak for the losi 2.0 but i did have the losi 1.0 before i got the jammin. it was a nice truck also but once i drove the jammin it just felt right.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
the jammin x2 is an awesome truck! very durable and i've had no problems with it. i drive very aggressive and put the truck through some amazing crashes. one being the truck cartwheeled for about 40 feet and nothing broke. i can't speak for the losi 2.0 but i did have the losi 1.0 before i got the jammin. it was a nice truck also but once i drove the jammin it just felt right.
+1 jammin x2 is bulletproof ..and most lhs stock or can get jammin parts ...i have 8 gallons on mine ...race it all the time ...and i am still running the parts that came with it except for a bent rear camber link ...my fault ...a broken left mud gaurd ....my fault ....the losi are good aswell ..but like dommit said they do brake a good bit ...if your just bashing ...stick with what runs into things better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.