Old 07-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

After Run Oil
Old 07-22-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
wouldn't it be great if AROs are available in aerosol cans
I've been running this oil for a while now. Buddy of mine has used it for years.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/yshop...D=36&ProdID=21
Old 07-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

WD40 will actually promote rust, after run oil is by far the best way to go
Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devbloggs
WD40 will actually promote rust, after run oil is by far the best way to go
um ok. Take two pieces of carbon steel and set them outside one with nothing and one with wd40 and see which one oxidizes first.

wd40 has never given me problems. I use aro but wd40 will not hurt your engine. If your in a pinch a squirt through the glo plug hole is no problem.

i have old engine parts that i have in airtight ziplocks with wd40 and there is no problem with them. And they have been there for months.

anything that will dry it out would be devastating though. Nitro blast, brake cleaner, de natured alcohol etc.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No one has really answered his question of why not to use WD40.

This is what i came across while looking up info for after care in nitro engines.

" DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE WD40 AS AFTER RUN !!! It has a detergent that de greases and that eats the protective oil coating left in the engine. "

I only use after run oil, with all the money you put into your rig why risk it to save a couple bucks.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

The FAGs didn't say anything about using WD-40 as ARO.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CMB21
No one has really answered his question of why not to use WD40.

This is what i came across while looking up info for after care in nitro engines.

" DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE WD40 AS AFTER RUN !!! It has a detergent that de greases and that eats the protective oil coating left in the engine. "

I only use after run oil, with all the money you put into your rig why risk it to save a couple bucks.
Yep WD-40 is actually a degreaser. There is a reason it's called After run oil. It's designed for it's purpose. I really think you can spend the couple extra bux to buy some ARO. WD-40 is great. Just not for engines.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I dont use any ARO...if my motor's are sitting for any extended period's of time they are dis assembled and stored dry in paper towel...even if im not racing for a good couple weeks i wont bother with ARO.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Castor oil is an excellent after-run for short storage times. Cheap as heck too, apply it with a syringe. Fully compatible with all motor components (remember a lot of fuels actually still use castor oil). Only issue is it gums up after a while... hence use it as week-to-week ARO and then use sthing different for longer term.

Paul
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Rookie

WD40 is used for un-siezing rusted parts and lining
insiginifcant thing that see little heavy use. Ask any mechanic and see how
much he uses WD40 instead of grease or oil.

Ask and skateboarder that know what he's doing and see what he or she uses on their bearings, If you use wd40, those bearings will be seized the day after you stop using them.

WD40 isn't for protection, it's mainly for cleaning and free-ing up things. All you'd be doing with WD40 is cleaning whatever oil from the fuel is left, out of the motor, leaving it exposed and viable to rust and corrosion.

So far. It seems like aro is by far the winner in this thread. You wanted peoples opinions, aro is their opinion.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

So last night I spoke with 2 engine modders - one in CO and one in CA

They both say, it is recommended NOT to use WD40 in an engine in replace of After Run Oil. The reason behind this is: 1) it is highly flammable and using to much in an engine blown out glow plugs and it can screw up the button head because it will not allown the glow plug thread to hold, becuase its used to ease the tention between screws nuts and bolts.
2)it is a degreaser/cleaner first and lube later. The oil they use in WD40 is a thin low content oil, for smooth surfaces the oil do not stick, it just slide off and settle at the bottom.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

wd40's purpose has been water displacement, it does have minor lubricating properties as well, wd40 means water displacement 40th try. not saying pro or con on the aro aspect have used it for this with no problems and have heard to the contrary. but it is designed to displace water.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default my opinoion not to offend

from what i have been led to beleive is that traxas have it in there manual to use wd40 as aro but i would suggest that its a great marketing ploy as use it and its not the best for ur motor so go buy another traxas wich is a good for buisness so they can have a big turn over not good for the new customers but as frank-l said wen u pay a lot on ur mill why stick shit in it why dont u use urine for fuel then if u eat shit ull pass farts galore and bad terds from ur rear so eat good and ull be healthy hense the motor is the life of ur toy so treat her with top quality liquids and she will treat u rite
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mrbusta
from what i have been led to beleive is that traxas have it in there manual to use wd40 as aro but i would suggest that its a great marketing ploy as use it and its not the best for ur motor so go buy another traxas wich is a good for buisness so they can have a big turn over not good for the new customers but as frank-l said wen u pay a lot on ur mill why stick shit in it why dont u use urine for fuel then if u eat shit ull pass farts galore and bad terds from ur rear so eat good and ull be healthy hense the motor is the life of ur toy so treat her with top quality liquids and she will treat u rite
Well, that's polite.

Anyway I've heard good things about marvel mystery oil. MMO is $5 per quart when the hobbico stuff is around $5 per 2oz. Is the Marvel stuff the same or any better than ARO? Judging from the responses methinks I'm not gonna use any more WD40 in my engine, and I should probably warn my friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.