R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   RX Liporun times (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/313552-rx-liporun-times.html)

losi_racer 07-22-2009 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6095609)
that pack is hurt...i would be surprised if it didn't give you issues.

On a side note ive had issues with my losi 2000 rx pack....granted its over a year old and seen probably 150+ cycles but it started to glitch out one practice night multiple time's back to back...so i immediately brought it in and swapped the losi out for one of my 900mah practice packs....3 tanks back to back and no more issue's...so my losi 2000 is now sitting on the shelf and i stocked up on 6 more 900's....45 min on 900 isnt a problem....but a full hour might be close. :nod:

hes used it since. packs not swollen at all, looks the same as when he got it new. I told him to keep an eye on it but hes used it twice and peaked the charge twice also since so im not worrying about it, thanks for the heads up

KSimmonds 07-22-2009 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6097430)
JR has an excellent 3 yr warranty, the 9100 series was released about 18 months ago. So by my calculation that's about 18 months left of warranty if you bought them the day they were released. Not worth risking a $140 servo for lack of a $20 regulator.

I would guess you're assuming I bought these new which I didn't. I've seen more then 10 regulators shut off during a race, cause glitching, and other general problems for several highly ranked drivers in my area. Like I said, I won't be using a regulator, ever. Everyone else is more then welcome to do whatever they want, I'm not someone that voices my opinion as the only right answer.

token 07-22-2009 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by KSimmonds (Post 6099977)
I would guess you're assuming I bought these new which I didn't. I've seen more then 10 regulators shut off during a race, cause glitching, and other general problems for several highly ranked drivers in my area. Like I said, I won't be using a regulator, ever. Everyone else is more then welcome to do whatever they want, I'm not someone that voices my opinion as the only right answer.

I just happend to be on the phone last night with Horizion support for a warranty problem and just happend to ask about this.

Kevin from Horizion - say that 9100 series servo - should not be ran without a regualtor. The electronics in the servo is only made to handle 6.0 volt with a spike cap of 1.5 volts, but that 1.5 volts should not be a current steady load. And they will not warranty they servo - he claims they know when the servo has been abused or not use correctly.

This what he told me and Im posting it for the OTHER people that wants to make sure they are doing it correctly

Oh, and so far this year , I have not seen on regulator fail - and I race every weekend.

Integra 07-22-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by devilchrist (Post 6099182)
My sony erricson cellphone shuts down the phone when battery level goes below 3.5v. It's a single cell 9mah lipo battery.

I think I will now do the same and keep my lipo above 3.5v/cell always, I use to bring it down to 3.3v but, I have a feeling sony erricson guys know a bit more about batteries.

voltage was measured using fluke DMM.

static voltage #'s dont mean much you need something that will put a load on the pack to reallly tell its condition.

Originally Posted by losi_racer (Post 6099853)
hes used it since. packs not swollen at all, looks the same as when he got it new. I told him to keep an eye on it but hes used it twice and peaked the charge twice also since so im not worrying about it, thanks for the heads up

My pack seemed fine at first as well...No puffing, took a full charge every time and in general seemed fine....they it started giving small minuscule glitch's that i could only feel...then the system started to shut down and with only a pack swap all the issues went away....Im not saying the pack is 100% messed up...but i cant help but feel something is up with it after 3 tank's of no glitching on a different battery.

mudboger07 08-14-2009 08:48 PM

ok guys, i recieved the losi lipo from the lhs today and in trying to mount it along with a cc bec inthe battery box there doesnt seem to be enough room. Is it ok to mount the cc bec out side of the batt box or?

Integra 08-15-2009 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 6206740)
ok guys, i recieved the losi lipo from the lhs today and in trying to mount it along with a cc bec inthe battery box there doesnt seem to be enough room. Is it ok to mount the cc bec out side of the batt box or?

yes just make sure its well secured and aint goin anywhere.:nod:

mudboger07 08-15-2009 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6207731)
yes just make sure its well secured and aint goin anywhere.:nod:

Thats what i was thinking last night..I've thought about mounting it on top of the battery box cover as I do plan on running the 2 nmih pack we have for qualifing and the lipo for the main, or should i just run the lipo for the qual and mains, its the losi 2000 mah lipo pack. I guess if i can find a good place to mount it I could run i t without the regulator, Ive ran the jr servos on 7.4 before on the crawlers we have and the spect rx is rated for 9 volts.....everything ive read on this issue has been 50 50 either way....

Integra 08-15-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by mudboger07 (Post 6207792)
Thats what i was thinking last night..I've thought about mounting it on top of the battery box cover as I do plan on running the 2 nmih pack we have for qualifing and the lipo for the main, or should i just run the lipo for the qual and mains, its the losi 2000 mah lipo pack. I guess if i can find a good place to mount it I could run i t without the regulator, Ive ran the jr servos on 7.4 before on the crawlers we have and the spect rx is rated for 9 volts.....everything ive read on this issue has been 50 50 either way....

Non JR HV's dont like the extra voltage too much...they will fail faster then normal...(which imo isnt very long anyways)

the 2000 lipo will last you all day for sure....unless you run 10-15 tanks of practice or something crazy.

Zerodefect 08-15-2009 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6100432)
static voltage #'s dont mean much you need something that will put a load on the pack to reallly tell its condition.

My pack seemed fine at first as well...No puffing, took a full charge every time and in general seemed fine....they it started giving small minuscule glitch's that i could only feel...then the system started to shut down and with only a pack swap all the issues went away....Im not saying the pack is 100% messed up...but i cant help but feel something is up with it after 3 tank's of no glitching on a different battery.

Good point. I hacked off a servo lead that has aligator clips attached to +&-.
I plug it into my RX and put the clips on my Fluke 189 DVOM, then I hold the car down hard that way the steering servo has to work really hard and watch the voltage dance. If it drops too much......

After that test its easy to see why little regulators like the Castle 10amp have a hard time keeping up.

Anyways, why is everyone going to the 2000 mah lipos? Do you have 2 hr mains? 800 mah is good for most club races . 1000 is good for a 1hr main, isn't it.

Seems like a good place to save space/ weight.

Integra 08-15-2009 05:49 PM

I like my 900's. :nod:

Sam-E 08-15-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6100432)

Just because your pack failed does not mean all packs will fail, the packs age, the amount of abuse, and other factors will also contribute. If the pack is not swollen and maintains voltage under load then there is no need to replace it... if the pack has lost capacity or if it shows signs of swelling then then I would replace it.

Remember the plane guys abuse their Lipo's a lot more than a receiver pack, and I have seen cells under 3.0V charge and spin props like no tomorrow.

mudboger07 08-15-2009 09:00 PM

Well i desided to modify the flat battery cover (losi 2.0Buggy) to allow to install a cc bec on the outside..Now to set it for 6 volts and run it in the morning......I desided to mount it outside of the battery box to disapate heat if needed...:nod:

COBRARACING 08-16-2009 12:53 AM

Guys dont waste your time switch to lifep04 6.4volt 1400 stick or hump packs for rx .

no regulator ,charge over 10 amps ,no low voltage cut off,safer ,longer lasting,overcharge with no damage.
run your 1 hour A mains no problem for truggies or buggies .

Zerodefect 08-16-2009 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by COBRARACING (Post 6210138)
Guys dont waste your time switch to lifep04 6.4volt 1400 stick or hump packs for rx .

no regulator ,charge over 10 amps ,no low voltage cut off,safer ,longer lasting,overcharge with no damage.
run your 1 hour A mains no problem for truggies or buggies .

+1 for Futaba, Airtronics, JR

or Switch to KO or Spektrum with Hitec 7955 or7950 servos and run Unregulated. Looks like car voltage regulators are going extinct as fast as they became available.

Integra 08-16-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sam-E (Post 6209582)
Just because your pack failed does not mean all packs will fail, the packs age, the amount of abuse, and other factors will also contribute. If the pack is not swollen and maintains voltage under load then there is no need to replace it... if the pack has lost capacity or if it shows signs of swelling then then I would replace it.

Remember the plane guys abuse their Lipo's a lot more than a receiver pack, and I have seen cells under 3.0V charge and spin props like no tomorrow.

:confused: