Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
losi shock cap mod >

losi shock cap mod

losi shock cap mod

Old 07-20-2009, 12:02 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
mrbusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 1,572
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default losi shock cap mod

what are the thoughts on running the shock cap mod without th event hole and only running the foam under the bladder any thoughts and views experience with it
mrbusta is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
mrbusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 1,572
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mrbusta View Post
what are the thoughts on running the shock cap mod without th event hole and only running the foam under the bladder any thoughts and views experience with it

ooopppsss meant the vent hole
and what do u use under the bladders
mrbusta is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 05:27 PM
  #3  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (6)
 
PIMP_9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

the reason for the vent is to have the heat and pressure that get trapped under the bladder to release and create a stable dampening enviroment. The foam is to support the bladder now that you vented it. I woud say try it and report to us that have done the mod are curious about it.I asked about this a long time ago I just asked Billy Fischer and he got me all hooked up with the foams I did the mod and I never looked back. He useda purple compund on road tire
PIMP_9000 is offline  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
  #4  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
mrbusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 1,572
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default hey

and that was cut to what size the foam did it cover the vent hole








Originally Posted by PIMP_9000 View Post
the reason for the vent is to have the heat and pressure that get trapped under the bladder to release and create a stable dampening enviroment. The foam is to support the bladder now that you vented it. I woud say try it and report to us that have done the mod are curious about it.I asked about this a long time ago I just asked Billy Fischer and he got me all hooked up with the foams I did the mod and I never looked back. He useda purple compund on road tire
mrbusta is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:09 AM
  #5  
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default Small area

That is such a minutely small area you are dealing with, I don't see how you could see any kind of difference at all whether you are venting to outside atmosphere or closed off , IMO.
elkman is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
mrbusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 1,572
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by elkman View Post
That is such a minutely small area you are dealing with, I don't see how you could see any kind of difference at all whether you are venting to outside atmosphere or closed off , IMO.

so u have tryed the mod with success mate without the vent at what track conditions
mrbusta is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:38 AM
  #7  
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default No I haven't

Originally Posted by mrbusta View Post
so u have tryed the mod with success mate without the vent at what track conditions
I am just trying to see how it could make a difference. I am not trying to shoot holes in the theory, I am just looking at it in a "what difference could it make" point of view. If it is a signifcant improvement then it may be something I couls do. Doesnt sound expensive or life changing.
elkman is offline  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
mrbusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 1,572
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default hey

Originally Posted by elkman View Post
I am just trying to see how it could make a difference. I am not trying to shoot holes in the theory, I am just looking at it in a "what difference could it make" point of view. If it is a signifcant improvement then it may be something I couls do. Doesnt sound expensive or life changing.
wasnt meant harsh elkman i was asking as it sounded like u had an experience with it no offence mate
mrbusta is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
  #9  
Tech Regular
 
elkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gresham Oregon
Posts: 359
Default None taken

Originally Posted by mrbusta View Post
no offence mate
I am easy going
elkman is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 PM
  #10  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (43)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 722
Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by elkman View Post
That is such a minutely small area you are dealing with, I don't see how you could see any kind of difference at all whether you are venting to outside atmosphere or closed off , IMO.
All that is going on is, the air that is trapped behind the bladder is never consistent when you build the shock. It changes based on how much you have bled the shock. When the shaft starts to compress, when you hit a bump, pressure starts to push the bladder upwards. The air trapped in the cap starts to compress. If the amount of air is different in the 2 front or rear shocks, the shock that has the higher pressure will slow down faster than the other. Did you ever see a car or truck tilt to one side going over an otherwise even jump. If you vent the cap, you will more than likely have 2 even shocks in the compression stroke. This is the way full size racing shocks work. They are vented and then they have valves to adjust the speed the pressure is released and that gives a further tuning option. The vent holes allow you to build the shock easier also. I fill mine to 1mm below the shock body, drop on the bladder and screw down the cap. They rebound to about half way 97% of the time. I get the proper amount of pack(to slow the shock down progressively) That allows me to run a little softer with out bottoming the chassis on big jumps. The bad thing is, bladders have to be changed as soon as they get a dimple in them and on some tracks that could be 2 to 3 race weekends. I have not had any issues with dirt getting in and I can feel more responsiveness when the the truck is pushed to it's limits.
crazysavage is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.