Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Life expectancy of a nitro

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Arrow Life expectancy of a nitro

I'm looking to buy a tekno nitro buggy and looking at motors everyone is talking about gallons ran through.. What's a good amount and how long can they last? Also what motors are better then other. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

How many gallons you get out of an engine will vary a good deal. If broken in properly and well taken care of 7 to 9 gallons is sensible. Imo, you can't go wrong with a Novarossi or O.S. For a budget minded buyer a Novarossi P5 is a real good choice.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That is a question that could have a thousand answers to each one. It really comes down to experience and personal preference.
With the longevity, it's up to you. It will take time to gain the experience of how to tune it and this will have an effect on the longevity of the engine. They could last as little as a gallon or 2 or as much as 8-10 gallons. Make sure to always put the piston at the bottom when you are done running it and put after run oil in it before storing.

What brand is personal preference. I've run Novarossi for many years, I've never had a bad one. I've had a couple of on road motors that I've popped but they were well used and I was running them at the edge. I've also got a Reds that is a very good engine as well. I only bought it because I got a really really good deal on it otherwise I would've bought another Novarossi. I've only bought one motor from them but they have really good prices is novarossidirect. You really can't go wrong with any of the new motors out. OS are fast, but they are pricy!

Good luck on your decision. Find someone that is willing to help you learn how to tune it. Don't just rely on them to tune it all the time, have them teach you. Have them teach you why it's doing what it's doing. Get a good temp gun. The exergen is expensive but it could save your motor.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Little JD
I'm looking to buy a tekno nitro buggy and looking at motors everyone is talking about gallons ran through.. What's a good amount and how long can they last? Also what motors are better then other. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
IMO it depends on how it was broken in, where it was run, how hot it got, etc..etc..Again it depends on your application. Top of my list OS and RB off roads and Nova on road. Once it's tuned they stays that way..My 02
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

It depends. How good of a tuner are you, and do you mind changing little parts, or are you lazy and not like to change air filters, like MOST new 1/8th scale racers?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

New to nitro have been running electric and keep up on maintenance such as keeping everything oiled and completely taking the car apart and cleaning them.. I'd think I would keep up on the maintenance of a nitro but just don't have any experience with them
Old 07-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if your new buy a nova gold head 3 port from absolute for $100, once you get comfortable with it and tuning then think about getting a more expensive motor.
I gave one to a local racer when he got his first nitro buggy, he thought he needed a b2101 combo. he refused to take the motor saying the rpm was too low on the spec sheet until i brought it to the track and he seen it run. no its not the most powerful but its still more than a begginer needs unless your blessed with maifield like driving tallent
Old 07-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Any thoughts on the argus motors? Had a guy offer me a argus (alpha copy) r8
Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Notice the brands people mentioned ? Try and stick with well proven commodities. Argus may be a fine engine for someone who knows nitro engines and how to make them run well and last. But early on , stack the deck in your favor by choosing something that's a long time solid proven performer. your O.S. , Nova, and Werks will all bring solid reliability and plenty of power to the table with easy tuning windows and lots of support.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

didnt read all the responses but engine life is directly related to tuning and care of the engine. If its you're first I'd suggest buying a more budget friendly engine and just be ready to find out you ran it to lean or didn't care for it properly. There is a learning curve to nitro, part of what makes it more enjoyable. But don't be surprised when you roast a engine or three.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Regardless of which brand you buy, if this is your first nitro engine, and you're not an experienced tuner, plan on it going to an early grave. You may be the exception, but folks new to nitro tend to be too needle happy, and can easily end up going too lean.

Buy a good quality, but reasonably priced motor (think Werks B3, entry level Novarossi or Picco, Triton L3, LRP, etc....) and run a good quality fuel. If you have someone that can help you learn how to tune, you can get your feet wet with your first engine (and any of the ones I listed will be more than enough power for you), then move to a higher end mill for the next one.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I say start with an elite 5 just to get you used to dealing with nitro and it's cheap

http://novarossidirect.com/ELITE-5OFF_p_3232.html

Or start with a p5xl either will do and learn with that then move to a drake motor or legend or os or werks or reds. All of those will be fine.

As for expectancy. It all boils down to how well you take care of your air filters, how well you keep it slightly on the rich side while still being satisfied with performance and be sure to use a quality fuel.

Iv gotten 12 gallons out of a motor and Iv also gotten 5 gallons. All about how you take care of it.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stubbs
Regardless of which brand you buy, if this is your first nitro engine, and you're not an experienced tuner, plan on it going to an early grave. You may be the exception, but folks new to nitro tend to be too needle happy, and can easily end up going too lean.

Buy a good quality, but reasonably priced motor (think Werks B3, entry level Novarossi or Picco, Triton L3, LRP, etc....) and run a good quality fuel. If you have someone that can help you learn how to tune, you can get your feet wet with your first engine (and any of the ones I listed will be more than enough power for you), then move to a higher end mill for the next one.
Agreed, going for a entry level motor doesn't mean buying junk. All the makers he listed make very good entry level engines that in all honesty are all that are needed for the average club racer. A high end engine 99% of the time doesn't make you any faster, but it can make you slower if you can't tune it or control it when properly tuned.

Novarossidirect.com has some good deals on really good entry level engines such as the Elite 5 as another poster recommended. There are plenty of good entry level engines from good makers out there.

Last edited by Apco1; 07-19-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Elite 5, eight gallons.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

+1 on the Elite 5

I'd go with a Nova pipe set too, 2096/021 is a good one for buggy