Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Building Rc track in backyard >

Building Rc track in backyard

Building Rc track in backyard

Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 AM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (-1)
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default Building Rc track in backyard

im building a 8 scale rc track in my back yard for use of atleast 3 buggys on it at once, but where can i get ALOT of dirt to do this with
davidg01234 is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 AM
  #2  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 577
Default

Look around your area for land development, those guys remove dirt in big quantities and have to use their fuel,labor and equipment to take it to a suitable stock yard if you are closer than their stock yard chances are you can buy it from them cheap. I do it all the time I have gotten it for free a lot of times.
Joey Platinum is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

Those little free ad books they have at liquor stores usually have ads for free dirt U haul.
butch man is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:19 AM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 68
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I see free dirt ads in craigslist all the time. Check that out.

Verti Goat
www.vertigoraceway.com
Verti Goat is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 PM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Cory Kerber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 769
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Verti Goat View Post
I see free dirt ads in craigslist all the time. Check that out.
x2
Cory Kerber is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Devilbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Also, the deeper you dig, the more dirt you have to make jumps. Elevation changes, under ground tunnels, and wooden bridges make for interesting races!
Devilbrad is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 476
Default

Originally Posted by Devilbrad View Post
Also, the deeper you dig, the more dirt you have to make jumps. Elevation changes, under ground tunnels, and wooden bridges make for interesting races!
What ever you do, do not dig!
- You loose vision of you're car
- Where you dig, water seems to really like it

We had the oportunity of a lifetime, we had army engineers shoving up with some heavy machinery. The guy on the ground pointing out the track didnt have a clue and told them to dig so- and -so.

Two days later a worthless track - never in use. Sad story.

Dont dig, build!
casevac is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 03:18 PM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Quad Racer 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 2,973
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default

would building an rc track with mostly top soil and then make the jumps out of clay be good enough? even though it would be more maintaince to keep it up?
Quad Racer 34 is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Devilbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by casevac View Post
What ever you do, do not dig!
- You loose vision of you're car
- Where you dig, water seems to really like it

We had the oportunity of a lifetime, we had army engineers shoving up with some heavy machinery. The guy on the ground pointing out the track didnt have a clue and told them to dig so- and -so.

Two days later a worthless track - never in use. Sad story.

Dont dig, build!
That is a good point! Another consideration...the whole jump doesnt need to be dirt. When we built BMX jumps and tracks, the jump had a lot of filler material, like old tires, large non decomposable objects, etc etc. Took much less dirt that way.
Devilbrad is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 476
Default

Originally Posted by Devilbrad View Post
When we built BMX jumps and tracks, the jump had a lot of filler material, like old tires, large non decomposable objects, etc etc. Took much less dirt that way.
For sure! To build the largest you'd really need some tonnes of material, and it needs to be treated and compressed. My next combo will be filled - definetly!
(yeah, I have my own track as well )
casevac is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 03:52 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Devilbrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by casevac View Post
For sure! To build the largest you'd really need some tonnes of material, and it needs to be treated and compressed. My next combo will be filled - definetly!
(yeah, I have my own track as well )
Plastic 55 gallon drums FTW!
Devilbrad is offline  
Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
  #12  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
ICBeloitRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 324
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

is there a thread about track building anywhere? this could be a really useful resource, i'm hoping to do the same thing eventually, and it'd really be nice to have some RCT help
ICBeloitRacer is offline  
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
iTrader: (102)
 
triggerman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mid mo
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

another thing to think about is the hair that will grow on the track. i built mine this spring and i have a grass problem. round up has helped a little bit. but on a 170x80 track, it has gotten to be an expensive problem. it would have been better if i was ready for it, and i should have been. i was just excited about playing on it.

i had to get one guy out here to blade it all for me. and another with a bobcat. now i have to see if one of them can come out and drag it again. and im now waiting on them.
triggerman101 is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:48 AM
  #14  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 476
Default

Originally Posted by triggerman101 View Post
another thing to think about is the hair that will grow on the track. i built mine this spring and i have a grass problem. round up has helped a little bit. but on a 170x80 track, it has gotten to be an expensive problem. it would have been better if i was ready for it, and i should have been. i was just excited about playing on it.

i had to get one guy out here to blade it all for me. and another with a bobcat. now i have to see if one of them can come out and drag it again. and im now waiting on them.
You need to get hold of consentrated roundup or even better: MCPA 750. Only a fraction of the price.
Mix it and spray it in large scale.

My back yard:

casevac is offline  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:55 AM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
imaxx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LA
Posts: 2,741
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pyvZ...eature=related
imaxx21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.