Wiki Posts
Search

Who makes the highest quality engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
nevermind. Replied your pm. And jazz, are you saying the jammin has more punch then the speed?

The Jammin is a top end engine..as far as Overall speed on a 100 foot straight, it will outrun all the OS's and the +4, maybe the toro Nero will hang with it, but thats not part of racing Dreaux..races are won and lost in the turns..The bottom line is you need to pick what you want and be happy with it, remember what I said about how important run times are though, and The jammin's as awesome as they are don't get the run times as the +4, vspec, Ninja, or Speed..Not sure about the Toro Nero though, but I would imagine since it is 7 ports it will be lacking in run time as well..right now I am finding that the two most important things in any race is that the engine stays running, and you can get 10+ minutes on a tank of fuel in a buggy..That's a really short list of engines to choose from to get those 2 features
Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
nova plus 4 i know ever one says but it feel soft on the bottom it dose but it usable power on the track i can run my plus 4 for a round and then put my ninja in for the next round and you will notice that my lap time with the plus 4 are 3 sec if not more faster because it has usable power not retarded stupid power that has me blowing conors and tires of the rim
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
I agree, the only problem is that Nova's ceramic bearings cost a fortune. Easy solution, break it in with the stock bearings and once it's ready to race, drop in a set of TKO bearings and you're good to go.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
All are good choices, but honestly if you can afford it go with the speed all the way. The novas are great engines, but IMO don't make the power of the OS's. Also like you mentioned the cranks aren't coated, which is fine, but they WON'T last as long as a coated crank(not saying the engine itself, but the crank). Another downside is that they don't include a ceramic bearing, but that is simple to take care of with a set of TKO's. To me though, the biggest downside of the nova's is the high price tag on parts. Con rods can be up to $60. OS rods, even speed rods are no more than $45(not $75). You can also use a ninja rod in the speed(same rod) which will set you back less than $40. The jammin's are awesome engines, but simply don't get the fuel milage of the others. The OS is your best bet if you can afford it. It has an awesome powerband and great fuel milage. Can't go wrong with the speed...
+1 on what he said. Speed is the ticket.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

I think the highest quality engine out there is the Os Speed Would Edtion

The highest quality engine manufactor would be a toss between Nova and RB
Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You said you saw (1) +4 run and were not impressed. Sounds like it was not paired with the right pipe or tuned properly. It sounds like you are excluding engines based off of minimal information. You have to realize that alot of posters get on here and say this thing sucks and only lasted 1 gallon. Who knows what they might have put that engine through. Most wont admit if they do something stupid. As for me, it is easy to find buzz on good engines. You have an OS, if you like it maybe you should stay with OS. I run PTM NR and they are great motors. They only grip I have on NR is the crank pins seem to wear out quickly. I too am looking to try something different. I will try either a speed, ninja, Orion US Spec or the Reedy.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scwrod
You said you saw (1) +4 run and were not impressed. Sounds like it was not paired with the right pipe or tuned properly. It sounds like you are excluding engines based off of minimal information. You have to realize that alot of posters get on here and say this thing sucks and only lasted 1 gallon. Who knows what they might have put that engine through. Most wont admit if they do something stupid. As for me, it is easy to find buzz on good engines. You have an OS, if you like it maybe you should stay with OS. I run PTM NR and they are great motors. They only grip I have on NR is the crank pins seem to wear out quickly. I too am looking to try something different. I will try either a speed, ninja, Orion US Spec or the Reedy.

Was this toward me?
I have a +4 - brought it after AD won the SilverState with it I brought that and the matching pipe and I can tune, Im actually good a tuning. I simply do not liek the engine, its an off and on switch, its not smooth, it does not have good low end power, to be effective with this engine you need to be heavy on the throttle.
My opinion. And I every engine I post about I own and have ran and compared.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you want it to last, replace the rod after the first gallon and open it up and check it out after each race day.

I like the stock bearing break-in then ceramic idea

I think Token is correct Nova or RB quality
but the Speed is a really nice lump
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

dreaux...since you like your vspec then just turn it up a notch and try a jx ninja. its basically right in between your vspec and what might be ultimate "the speed"....myself i just bought my second engine of the year(for truggy&oval). if i could had spent extra$ i would of went nova +4 without any doubt. its good consistant usable power plain and simple(and will last 8gal if used properly). that said i went jpx 21. im at a gallon now and its close to ready. its the best $200 iv spent hands down
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just want to throw this in there for some of the doubters, OS engines can easily last as long as any other. That includes the standard v-spec. I currently have 10 gallons on my v-spec(real gallons, not internet gallons) and it is running like a champ. I changed rod and bearings(to TKO) like I do in all of my engines. Never been pinched, nor have any other parts been replaced(besides the rod and bearings). This engine was broken in correctly. Has never seen above 250* F. It is usually kept between 210- 235. It has never ingested dirt. And what I think is the most important factor, It has never been run on 30% fuel. Imagine that. I run all 20% odonnell race fuel, and have no problem keeping up with 30%, and the engine life is evident.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

That's good stuff Jammin! shows doubters that if you care for any engine it will treat you right
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

You have picked all good engines, for longevity it would be a tie between RB and Nova. I have 19 years experience with nitro engines of all makes and will give you my 2 cents.
1. Availability in your area should be first concern
2. You are the number 1 key to longevity with your screw driver!!!!
3. RB can be a little tricky to tune but are amazing once you get the hang of their carbs.
4. Preheat your engine before starting it will double the life. I have preheaters I bought in Syracuse that keep your engine at 200 before I start it. We have used these for four years now and I am still running WS7II on original piston and sleeve. Engines probably have close to 8 gallons through them and compression is like day they were bought.
I am now going too test Reedy .21 but cannot comment yet as they are still in transit to me. Our team has 6 NRCTPA World Championships or more and numerous nationals most with RB power They have proven to be our strongest yet.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
That's good stuff Jammin! shows doubters that if you care for any engine it will treat you right
Exactly!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

There are plenty of great engines. Asking what the best engine is is like asking which fast food Restaurant makes the tastiest french fries. When you're talking about the best of the best engines, it gets subjective.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Was this toward me?
Nope i am only talking directly to the OP.

Originally Posted by dreaux
sirio, novarossi, o.s., rb, grp, ofna

I am really liking the extech for some reason. I don't know why but the ninja isn't doing much for me. I already have a vspec. thinking about the toro nerro. Maybe a plus 4 but i saw it at the track and was not impressed. However the grp i saw was impressive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.