R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Buggy for a beginner (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311802-buggy-beginner.html)

magnapackz 07-13-2009 06:26 PM

Buggy for a beginner

Hey everyone I tried the search, but nothing came up. I am wanting to get into 8th scale buggy racing. Mainly to have fun. What would be a decent buggy to start out with? I don't want to spend alot at first, but probably will later. I was looking at the Kyosho 7.5, what do you guys think

dreaux 07-13-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by magnapackz (Post 6063121)
Hey everyone I tried the search, but nothing came up. I am wanting to get into 8th scale buggy racing. Mainly to have fun. What would be a decent buggy to start out with? I don't want to spend alot at first, but probably will later. I was looking at the Kyosho 7.5, what do you guys think

i was going to say rc8 rtr or kyosho inferno rtr (ready to run)

even a traxxas jato

Jaz240 07-13-2009 06:48 PM

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ter-buggy.html

Garet Jax 07-13-2009 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by magnapackz (Post 6063121)

What's your price line?

UltegraSTI 07-13-2009 07:52 PM

spend the $ and go losi 2.0 RTR u cant beat it for RTR and go! like i said in other posts i hate nitro but i bought to race with nitro friends and its the only way to go right from the box. great radio, telemetry to keep your motor in check and allow you to learn what works/doesnt. starter box so no stupid pull starts or drills to deal with. you cant beat it for the $. 625 or so online.

have fun

R

Garet Jax 07-13-2009 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by ultegrasti (Post 6063586)
spend the $ and go losi 2.0 RTR u cant beat it for RTR and go! like i said in other posts i hate nitro but i bought to race with nitro friends and its the only way to go right from the box. great radio, telemetry to keep your motor in check and allow you to learn what works/doesnt. starter box so no stupid pull starts or drills to deal with. you cant beat it for the $. 625 or so online.

have fun

R

I agree with ultegrasi. It this is the way you decide to go, you should check out my post in the starter buggy thread. It give a lot of details about the costs and options to start with.

Good luck.

Stirex 07-14-2009 01:00 AM

Well as no one has talked about this, honestly there is kind of a routine answer to this before we start talking about brands.

None of these are meant as insults, you just didn't state alot details.

1. New to RC? (If yes, get an RTR Electric (Slash, SC10, B4, no radio shack, walmart, target brand), play with it for awhile, see if you like it, don't mind the wrenching or maintaing aspect. Wouldn't suggest getting one off Ebay if you are really new to the RC world, to risky to have something wrong with it that you won't initially know how to fix, or look for.

2. New to Nitro? (If yes get an RTR one, get used to tuning, breaking in, taking care of it, and seeing if the costs meet your budget)

3. What does your local hobby store (LHS) (if any) carry? (No use in buying a Losi and your LHS can't order or stock the parts. It really kinda sucks waiting 4-6 days for a hinge pin...)

4. Racing or bashing? (Racing, see what the tracks support, what classes are being fielded, and what the majority is running, no good going out there with a 1/8 buggy and all they run are Slashes and Electric.)

5. Pick something you like. Everyone on here will tell you Brand A is better the Brand B or vice versa, or Brand A breaks, but someone else says it won't. You can talk to others that might have what you want, or the LHS if they are knowledgable.

6. Do the research, do the research, study the manuals, the tips, the break-in stickies, the tuning stickies etc.

7. Be patient, don't get frustrated, and above all remember it is a Hobby, it is meant for fun...

token 07-14-2009 07:09 AM

Dude all BS to the side go with the Losi 8B 2.0 RTR its $799.99 but comes READY TO RACE, DSM radio starter box, put batteries and fuel - breaking and race.

It will be the best thing you can do right now - the AE RTR you will not be happy, not Race ready,

Saber186 07-14-2009 08:49 AM

what some of you guys don't seem to understand is there aren't many of us that fart $50 bills.I know I sure can't afford $500-$800 for a new buggy
A guy just starting out can have just as much fun and compete with a $250 -$300 rtr.

jzemaxx 07-14-2009 10:03 AM

For the money, the Matrix R2 is hard to beat.

midwestcajun 07-14-2009 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Saber186 (Post 6065966)
what some of you guys don't seem to understand is there aren't many of us that fart $50 bills.

Ok..thats funny right there.

token 07-14-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saber186 (Post 6065966)
what some of you guys don't seem to understand is there aren't many of us that fart $50 bills.I know I sure can't afford $500-$800 for a new buggy
A guy just starting out can have just as much fun and compete with a $250 -$300 rtr.

Ok, then you have to worry about support and parts - you will spend more money upgrading and replacing stuff. We was just trying to set you in the right dierction do you can spend more time driving and less time pissed that you cant get parts.... thats all

Akhor 07-14-2009 10:45 AM

Go down to your track and see what everyone else is running. Then buy that buggy as there will be lots of people that will be able to help you on that particular product.

Saber186 07-14-2009 10:46 AM

Horizon Hobby carries parts for the Matrix.You'd get the same support as you would with a Losi

Saber186 07-14-2009 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by jzemaxx (Post 6066252)
For the money, the Matrix R2 is hard to beat.

++1