Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Motor Problem.... >

Motor Problem....

Motor Problem....

Old 07-12-2009, 08:40 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Unhappy Motor Problem....

I have a Picco Evo 3 P7 .21 on my buggy. My motor has a bad bog i can not get rid of. It will run OK between 190-210 degrees, as soon as i go over that it gets worse. Now after i finished my break in, i was racing on my track and my filter came off and drove it for about 30 ft. I tore the motor down cleaned it out and it seem to run fine to me(These piccos have a tight fitting sleeve). But lately I've noticed it has a slight bog. Now the piston goes up to about 1/8inch away from the top of the sleeve.

I need your input.

Tyler
Gearhead racer is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
Mr. Twister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hendersonville Tn
Posts: 1,271
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post
I have a Picco Evo 3 P7 .21 on my buggy. My motor has a bad bog i can not get rid of. It will run OK between 190-210 degrees, as soon as i go over that it gets worse. Now after i finished my break in, i was racing on my track and my filter came off and drove it for about 30 ft. I tore the motor down cleaned it out and it seem to run fine to me(These piccos have a tight fitting sleeve). But lately I've noticed it has a slight bog. Now the piston goes up to about 1/8inch away from the top of the sleeve.

I need your input.

Tyler
these is a thread on here about the ORIEN 21 US spec, it has pics on how to seal the carb. it is a common issue with the picco carb, just grab some JB weld and look at the pic and that may help with the bog as long as the needles are good, it has some info on the settings for the picco carb as well, Good Luck
Mr. Twister is offline  
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (86)
 
mblgjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 2,179
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

Weird.

I'm going on my 3rd gallon on my Evo 3, with NO issues. Been one of the easiest engines I've ever had.

A lot of people actually over tighten the carb pinch bolt and distort the carb, which is my summation of why some have leaking issues.

My sleeve is SUPER tight when cold still; but I do preheat mine to around 160* before every run.

I run mind right around 200* as well. It runs fine around 190-210 all day long on Byron's 25%. I've run it in both buggy and truggy. Doesn't bog, never has.

Is this something it's acquired, or it's always done? Have you considered you may have the top/bottom needle balance a little off? IE you've got the top rich and the bottom lean, so it 'starts' to jump out there then lays down.

Hope you find your problem!
mblgjr is offline  
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default

Originally Posted by mblgjr View Post
Weird.

I'm going on my 3rd gallon on my Evo 3, with NO issues. Been one of the easiest engines I've ever had.

A lot of people actually over tighten the carb pinch bolt and distort the carb, which is my summation of why some have leaking issues.

My sleeve is SUPER tight when cold still; but I do preheat mine to around 160* before every run.

I run mind right around 200* as well. It runs fine around 190-210 all day long on Byron's 25%. I've run it in both buggy and truggy. Doesn't bog, never has.

Is this something it's acquired, or it's always done? Have you considered you may have the top/bottom needle balance a little off? IE you've got the top rich and the bottom lean, so it 'starts' to jump out there then lays down.

Hope you find your problem!
Ill have to check that, i know i had aleak. I would richen it and it wuold stay 250-270 and a bad bog. Ive tried factory settings and i work from there getting no where.

Tyler
Gearhead racer is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
-R2-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 2,268
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

needle settings are flush and flush, you need to look for pinched or torn o-rings if the basic needle settings are not working for you, you should now be rich and girgling fuel. Do not use silicon to seal the engine that's what the o-rings are for the Evo engine is not hard to tune. If it continues then you would need to look at other items on your car like your tank,filter and fuel line also a broken or crack exuahst coupler.
-R2- is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM
  #6  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
JBURCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampton Va
Posts: 626
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gearhead racer View Post
Ill have to check that, i know i had aleak. I would richen it and it wuold stay 250-270 and a bad bog. Ive tried factory settings and i work from there getting no where.

Tyler
Tyler you know how to fix it,,,,,,,,,Get another engine from Mark at Powerhouse and that will fix your problems forever
JBURCH is offline  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:46 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
 
Gearhead racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in PA
Posts: 2,020
Default

Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
needle settings are flush and flush, you need to look for pinched or torn o-rings if the basic needle settings are not working for you, you should now be rich and girgling fuel. Do not use silicon to seal the engine that's what the o-rings are for the Evo engine is not hard to tune. If it continues then you would need to look at other items on your car like your tank,filter and fuel line also a broken or crack exuahst coupler.
Their not hard to tune just its driving me NUTS!! ive check all of that, i have a good idea where my problem is.
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
Tyler you know how to fix it,,,,,,,,,Get another engine from Mark at Powerhouse and that will fix your problems forever

I know but my local hobby guy sponars me ,so i buy motors thourgh him. Mark will be seeing my more in the future after i get this motor screaming!!
Gearhead racer is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.