Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Lipo RX problem >

Lipo RX problem

Lipo RX problem

Old 07-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Lipo RX problem

I picked up a used Lipo rx pack and found that it won't take a charge. My Lipo charger is setup for 2A but the pack will only take .15A. A volt meter says the pack it at 6.0V and it is completely discharged. Is there anyway to get this pack to take a charge again?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had a similar problem with a full size pack. I used my thunder power lipo charger that had a safe mode to slowly charge the pack back up. My Ice kept giving me error messages when I tried to charge it saying something like check the number of cells or low voltage warning and wouldn't charge it. After numerous times of safe charging, the pack is now useable. I highly recommend that you monitor it closely and if you do try and charge it, try to do it outside and be sure to keep your eye on it. Try to have a fairly large bucket of sand also nearby so that in case anything goes wrong you are ready for it. good luck.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You can make a "poor mans lipo sack" by using two baggies each filled 3/4 with sand. lay them flat, place one below the battery and one one top. It the lipo gets hot enough to melt the plastic, the sand puts it out....
Not a perfect solution but very effective.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Spend the 30 bucks and get a lipo safe sack from racers edge or trinity. There was a post on here from a guy who was charging his pack at night on his night stand and it went bad and he almost burned the house down. I have also seen pics of Cara that burned to the ground from a faulty lipo. O use one in my starter box and I keep it unplugged while transporting and storeing. In. It taking any chances. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I will keep charging them at .2a and see what happens. so far they have not heated up and the pack seem to be stable. I have used sickpuppy's idea of using a ziplock of sand to help prevent fire in between me checking up in it.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Spend the 30 bucks and get a lipo safe sack from racers edge or trinity. There was a post on here from a guy who was charging his pack at night on his night stand and it went bad and he almost burned the house down. I have also seen pics of Cara that burned to the ground from a faulty lipo. O use one in my starter box and I keep it unplugged while transporting and storeing. In. It taking any chances. Peace of mind is priceless.
I realize my little temp sack thing is not the same as a lipo sack but for temporary or one time use, it can prevent a fire. Franks right though, if you are gonna use lipo's on a regular basis, a real sack is the way to go. I see them at the track all the time. Only fire I've seen so far was a Novak ESC coming out of the corner into the straight going up in smoke. It was sad and cool to watch at the same time,LOL But then, I have a piston and rod from a OS .18 on my keychain with a hole burned thru the middle too....
Your burned up home would not be cool......
Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yup, the main thing here is to be safe. Monitor it and have the things you will need to put out a fire if there is one. Also, try to charge it outdoors if possible too. Having the lipo safe sack will help, but my understanding is that it will not put out the fire if there is one. It will buy you some time to deal with the worse case scenario. Good luck.