Community
Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. V-spec HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default O.S. V-spec HELP!

just wondering why the top of my piston has a lot of carbon build up? is it bcuz i am running it lean or too rich? i thought i had it tuned perfectly bcuz i had constant running temps of 210 degrees...after awhile the sleeve had so much carbon build up that it locked up my piston...dissembled it, clean it and now everything works fine...but i still want to know what was the cause of all that carbon build up? is 210 degrees to low??? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by In3g_z33
just wondering why the top of my piston has a lot of carbon build up? is it bcuz i am running it lean or too rich? i thought i had it tuned perfectly bcuz i had constant running temps of 210 degrees...after awhile the sleeve had so much carbon build up that it locked up my piston...dissembled it, clean it and now everything works fine...but i still want to know what was the cause of all that carbon build up? is 210 degrees to low??? any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance!!!
I dont know about carbon build up, but my vspec run between 200 and 240 depending on where I am. But After every race I take apart EVERYthing and clea it up, I know after time you will have oil res on the top of the piston, never heard of it locking up 210 is fine but you cant just go off of temp - how is it running how is the idle
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

What kind of fuel (brand and %) and glow plug are you using?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Top of the piston will have some carbon build up. You can cleanit up but it is completly normal. I have never had an engine that did not have this no matter what fuel I use from grp to nova to os and sideinder to odonnell to byrons and now coldfusion. I run coldfusion fuel now which is one of the purest fuels I have ever seen. No color additives or other un necessary additives and there is discoloring on the top of the piston but everywhere else is clean like the engine is new.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Carbon build up is from the castor oil in your fuel. Fuels that are 100% synthetic like Nitrotane and Prime do not carbon up. Depending on your fuel's oil percentage I would tear down and clean the carbon build up off of the top of the piston frequently as well as clean & polish the "button" or compression chamber. Doing this will ensure a clean burn and keep your engine free of pre-detonation.

DO NOT scrape the carbon off, you will have to chemically remove it. I suggest a good carb cleaner or brake cleaner that is acid free.

To polish the button I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish (or brasso or the like). Best method is to install an old glow plug in the button, chuck it in a drill motor and spin it up at a medium speed and polish away.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Heavy carbon build up is a sign of bad fuel.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Maybe I mis spoke it won't be the first time. Discoloring on the top of the piston is normal right? That's where the combustion occurs so there has to be some color change to the top of the piston. After looking closer it looks like discoloring. So are you guys saying that your piston top and button look shiny and new gallon after gallon?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This may help.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Cory Kerber
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
Maybe I mis spoke it won't be the first time. Discoloring on the top of the piston is normal right? That's where the combustion occurs so there has to be some color change to the top of the piston. After looking closer it looks like discoloring. So are you guys saying that your piston top and button look shiny and new gallon after gallon?
Discoloring yes... Heavy carbon build up no! It's obvious that the piston will discolor some. What you don't want is a thick coating of carbon.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by token
I dont know about carbon build up, but my vspec run between 200 and 240 depending on where I am. But After every race I take apart EVERYthing and clea it up, I know after time you will have oil res on the top of the piston, never heard of it locking up 210 is fine but you cant just go off of temp - how is it running how is the idle
both low and high end idle seems to be perfectly fine with constant running temps. of 210...
Old 07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Heavy carbon build up is a sign of bad fuel.
bad fuel? i run byrons 2nd gen fuel....is that bad??? what other better fuel brands is good??? O'donnell?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

i have another question...i'm planning to buy another V-spec as for a spare but was wondering what is the difference between the two i have seen before which both had different Item code numbers: one was 13890 and the other was 13895...does that mean that one is like a newer/older version of the other??? i also noticed that the throttle dust cover on the 13890 is blue and black on a 13895...any difference of performance/specs wise between the two???
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bad fuel? i run byrons 2nd gen fuel....is that bad??? what other better fuel brands is good??? O'donnell?
Actually Byrons Gen 2 is GREAT fuel. (So is O'Donnell!) I personally don't run either, but know lots of folks running both with no issues.

Carbon buildup is NOT a defect with the engine... there must be something else going on there. Carbon build up means SOMETHING that is going into the engine is not burning cleanly and completely.

What plug do you run? (I don't run anything but an OS P3 in my VSPEC) Are you putting after run oil in it? If so, how much and how often? What % of nitro do you use? (contrary to what folks will tell you, a VSPEC does NOT need an extra head shim to run 30%) How long has the fuel you are running been open? Has it been exposed to sunlight for any significant period? (bottle sitting in the sun)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Actually Byrons Gen 2 is GREAT fuel. (So is O'Donnell!) I personally don't run either, but know lots of folks running both with no issues.

Carbon buildup is NOT a defect with the engine... there must be something else going on there. Carbon build up means SOMETHING that is going into the engine is not burning cleanly and completely.

What plug do you run? (I don't run anything but an OS P3 in my VSPEC) Are you putting after run oil in it? If so, how much and how often? What % of nitro do you use? (contrary to what folks will tell you, a VSPEC does NOT need an extra head shim to run 30%) How long has the fuel you are running been open? Has it been exposed to sunlight for any significant period? (bottle sitting in the sun)
i always run OS P3 plugs, 20% nitro and put after run oil (4 drops into carb. and 2 drops through the head when Plug is removed) after EVERY run...the fuel i bought is new and always never been exposed to sunlight and engine is only a month old with only a gallon through the engine...do you think i'm running the engine too rich??? what am i doing wrong???

any other fuel brand that is good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.