Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New to 1/8 buggy >

New to 1/8 buggy

New to 1/8 buggy

Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Default New to 1/8 buggy

I have raced a little electric off road, but wanted to give my had at 1/8 buggy. I have done nitro before. What are some tips tricks?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

#1 Study the tuning bible thread that's on top of the Nitro forum. Learn to tune and you will enjoy Nitro. You're in Green Bay so you're probably racing at Dirt Heaven. Ask Jim Neupert if you're having trouble, he's really good at tuning, you'll see his stuff is always running really well.

#2 It's nirto but you'll see that there's twice as much battery charging going on. Try to not forget to charge anything (starter box, glow ignitor, RX packs)

#3 Keep extra glow plugs, you never know when you'll need one.

#4 check your car's bearings periodically (take them out and check them). A bearing can be going bad and you won't know until it seizes and takes you out of the race for the day while you try to figure out what happened.

#5 don't get hung up on the engine of the week thing. A well tuned OS RG.21 will run the same lap times as a $500 OS Speed on any track you'll race in Wisconsin.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Hit me with a PM and email I can attach the hudy set up guide it will give you all the how to on setup. Besides that just be patient and make small adjustments when tuning the engine. Ask questions and ask for help when you get stuck at your local track most guys will practically do just about anything to help.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Dont neglect your shocks, diffs, bearings, clutch, and especially your air filter. Those things all need to be maintained, cleaned and rebuilt regularly
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

These things take a beating

KEEP IT CLEAN - CHECK AND RECHECK

you will enjoy it better
Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

I am pretty close to getting the engine to where I like it. I got it so it gets no more above 260 degress and now I am just working on the low end, I think I need to lean is out a little bit because you pinch the fuel line and the rpms increase a lot. I just want to get the ehgine close so when I go to the track the first time, I can work on my driving.