Wiki Posts
Search

blowing glow plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default blowing glow plug

hi, guys. need help. have a go engine which has been very trust worthy. it seems today all of the sudden when i was trying to tune my engine, i started eating up go plugs.
the engine has been very good on 25% byrone.
temp was never above 200f

compression is still good. but not sure why

any input would be appreciated
Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

never above 200 ? its barely getting hot enough to run it without damaging the piston and sleeve. may be running too rich causing them to blow.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Might be a good idea to take it apart and make sure a glow plug element didn't do some damage or maybe some dirt got in it and is causing problems. I wouldn't keep trying to run it until you take it apart and atleast clean it all out good. Cheaper to look at it now then find out the cause later.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

check your head clearance to...you may need to add a copper shim or 2
Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If the engine has some gallons on it and this just started then you should take off the backplate and check the lower rod bushing and rear bearing for play. The rear bearing could be going bad without necessarily becoming rough and the rod bushing wear symptoms are poor idle and short plug life without otherwise poor performance. Play in either results in inaccurate piston travel, that usually results in blown plugs.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Default glow plug problem

cheers for the input guys. will have a look at my engine
Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Addict

Default some very small grits

hi guys finally removed the top cooling head and back plate,

the conrod seems fine, pison is fine, just found some grits or fine metal bits on top of the piston head where the glow plug comes to contact.

will this be the cause of blowing my glow plug or is it bits of the glow plug?thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muaythai
hi guys finally removed the top cooling head and back plate,

the conrod seems fine, pison is fine, just found some grits or fine metal bits on top of the piston head where the glow plug comes to contact.

will this be the cause of blowing my glow plug or is it bits of the glow plug?thanks
you might wanna look at the bottom of your piston a little closer

it is more than likely broke in the wrist pin seat area

it sucks but replacement parts for taiwan engines are cheap
Old 07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Default clearance

Originally Posted by hustler777
check your head clearance to...you may need to add a copper shim or 2
how would i know that?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Default powerful team magic glow starter

guys , u head if your glow starter is to powerful , it can blow the plug

my team magic glow starter is real powerful. it literally lights up the plug. could this be the cause??
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Is it running overly rich and packing fuel into the plug? I had this problem on an engine with an air leak. Kept trying to richin it up to bring the temp down and in turn put way to much fuel into the engine. It would smash the electrode and the plug was toast.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadracer43
never above 200 ? its barely getting hot enough to run it without damaging the piston and sleeve. may be running too rich causing them to blow.
+1 too rich for a go motor im surprised its even moving ....i have never seen a go motor that ran good at 200 degrees ...i dont tune by temp ...but ive run many gotechs and they seem to run best in the 230-250 range ...inmho
Old 07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by muaythai
guys , u head if your glow starter is to powerful , it can blow the plug

my team magic glow starter is real powerful. it literally lights up the plug. could this be the cause??
Its supposed to light up the glow plug.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Like someone else said, if it has been running fine and has a couple gallons or more on it, it is almost certainly a rod or bearing. Put a new rod and rear bearing in it and all your troubles are gone.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Usually finicky tune then wont idle then blown plugs in that order are a sign of wear & Go motors while fast for the money are not the longest lasted motors.I would check for worn rod bushing then worn bearing,actually both at the same time but rods usually go first running that cold & depending on breakin.Motors that are very tight initially seem to be the ones that dont last that long. 4 screws & a simple check is all it takes to eliminate those.You sound like you have had no problems in however many gallons you have so far, so I am just assuming you have a basic grasp of tuning or at least how to tune to the feel you like(& if you can tune you should be able to find an air leak). Something that just happens out of the blue that you cant tune out seems that something changed other than tune,again assuming you know haw to.The only things that change are wear items Like rod & bearing,piston/sleeve wear wont cause blown plugs but poor bottom end & poor idle. Now with that said I'm not pointing out you cant follow 1-2-3 & arive at 4 because I have seen many experienced guys that should know better try & tune a worn rod & bearing all day before they give up,its just the human(male) condition not to get beat by a motor especialy in front of others. A lot of this is based on ussumptions but thats just what I've seen.

BTW the reason I suggest a rod like it aint no thang is the last I checked Go rods are like $18 & a TKO rear bearing is like $20-ish, not bad even if your not 100% sure their bad & cant find someone at the track that knows what bad feels like.

& call Russ at racefactor if he still owns it ,he was very helpfull to the go guys when he first started importing Go & may be more helpfull than anybody here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.