R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   can I replace the fuel line on my losi tank? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/308973-can-i-replace-fuel-line-my-losi-tank.html)

markt311 07-02-2009 01:06 AM

can I replace the fuel line on my losi tank?

I want to replace the fuel line coming out of my tank. I figure I should use Losi tubing since that's what the tank was designed to fit. Question is is it do-able?

I was having tuning trouble one day and in my frustration I threw a filter and extra tubing on there, it works ok, but I've found where my air leak was and I want to go back to the stock setup since that's what 99% of people run. And I don't want to buy a $20 tank unless I have to.

Thanks
Mark

MFigueroa 07-02-2009 02:38 AM

yea u can switch it. i've done it b4.:nod:

air8 07-02-2009 04:03 AM

Yep. I change it before every big race. Use a dental hook or small needle nose pliers, or a bent paper clip to pull the line out of the tank. Remove the filter. Then pull the line out the front of the tank. Simple.

when putting new line in make sure your inner stone filter does not hang up against the back of the tank. You want it to float freely inside there.

Frank L 07-02-2009 06:23 AM

Just about any fuel line will work. I tried the losi fuel tubing replacement and it was different than the stuff on the tank. I didn't like it. I use kyosho tuning now and it works great. Getting it inside the tank is a little bit of a pain but it can be done I get it through and then use needle nose pliers to grab it and them slide the clunk on just be careful not to poke any holes in it with the pliers or letting the lid close on it. It you do cut that section out.

JPierson 07-02-2009 06:29 AM

take your time but yes it is possible. Goodluck!

Chill_Will 07-02-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6014594)
Just about any fuel line will work. I tried the losi fuel tubing replacement and it was different than the stuff on the tank. I didn't like it. I use kyosho tuning now and it works great. Getting it inside the tank is a little bit of a pain but it can be done I get it through and then use needle nose pliers to grab it and them slide the clunk on just be careful not to poke any holes in it with the pliers or letting the lid close on it. It you do cut that section out.

Just about any line will not work. Losi line is different. Good to hear Kyosho line will work but I tried others and it leaked. Go back to the original set up.

Frank L 07-02-2009 07:08 AM

I didn't know that losi line was special. I guess I got lucky trying kyosho. I thought that it took a specific size tubing but when the kyosho worked I just assumed. I have seen purple line used too I didn't ask what kinda line it was. I have only tried losi and kyosho. I love kyosho products I just don't like their cars.

hustler777 07-02-2009 09:44 AM

try dubro line...the I.D. is tighter than usual line i've found...holds super tight

spawn_x 07-02-2009 10:40 AM

I am glad to see this thread, I've been meaning to talk about the Losi tank setup and how well it works

What is the reason Losi went to this design? To have "clunker" bounce around inside?

What about the pressure fit? Does that start to be a problem and allow for a pressure leak? I've always been worried about mine.

Thank you

dash riprock 07-02-2009 11:35 AM

I just replaced mine yesterday and one trick I used to make it much easier was to dab some fuel on the outside of the tubing.This made the tubing slippery and it slid right into the hole in the tank.Then with a long pair of needlenose finish pulling the fuel line in and then out of the filler hole.You can then install the clunk/filter on the end of the tubing.Pop the clunk back in the tank and pull any excess tubing back out of the tank.Once the fuel has evaporated the tubing is nice and snug in the tank.

air8 07-02-2009 11:40 AM

If the vehicle is upside down the fuel will be on the lid. With the loose clunker in there the clunk will fall into the fuel and not starve the engine of fuel. So your vehicle can stay upside down for longer as long as your engine is tuned right.

spawn_x 07-02-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 6015691)
If the vehicle is upside down the fuel will be on the lid. With the loose clunker in there the clunk will fall into the fuel and not starve the engine of fuel. So your vehicle can stay upside down for longer as long as your engine is tuned right.

Thanks, but does it have any disadvantages such as prone to pressure leaks?

Chris__RC 07-02-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by dash riprock (Post 6015679)
I just replaced mine yesterday and one trick I used to make it much easier was to dab some fuel on the outside of the tubing.This made the tubing slippery and it slid right into the hole in the tank.Then with a long pair of needlenose finish pulling the fuel line in and then out of the filler hole.You can then install the clunk/filter on the end of the tubing.Pop the clunk back in the tank and pull any excess tubing back out of the tank.Once the fuel has evaporated the tubing is nice and snug in the tank.

Also, you can trim the outside edge of your fuel line so when you first try to get it in, it fits easier. Just like the Losi clutch pins. Then once you get it in cut the trimmed part off.

bgbelden 07-02-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dash riprock (Post 6015679)

I crack myself up:tire::lol::lol::tire:

air8 07-02-2009 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by spawn_x (Post 6015699)
Thanks, but does it have any disadvantages such as prone to pressure leaks?

Ummm... not in my three years of using the tank and line. I think you'll be fine.