R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   debonding tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/308692-debonding-tires.html)

ngl 06-30-2009 09:29 PM

debonding tires

is there any good way to unglue tires, if so how?

Alan D. 06-30-2009 09:38 PM

Put the in the oven at 350* for 5 to 10 minuets and they fall off the rim.

fatdaddy 06-30-2009 10:50 PM

get a empty coffee can with a lid on it. put some 1" wood block in a + on the bottom. fill it up with acetone under the wood. fits 2 buggy wheels, or one truggy wheel.

wait a few days, and presto! the glue melts and everything comes out ok. wheel, tire, foams. all still good if you need to reuse any of them.

the fumes do the work, not the liquid

rossoh10 06-30-2009 11:11 PM

Its the fumes that work..Huh? I`m going to have top try it that way

I use a 5 gallon bucket fill with 2 gallons of acetone.Submerge the tires in the fluid and place the lid on the bucket ..Wait 24 hrs and remove the wheels

I have a friend that has been reusing the same fluid for the last few months..Make sure you keep the lid on it so the stuff don`t evaporate

Foams wiull be garbage but the tire and rim will still be good...I use this method to reuse the rims or to remove good tires from craked or broken rims

markr04 07-01-2009 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by rossoh10 (Post 6008457)
I use a 5 gallon bucket fill with 2 gallons of acetone.Submerge the tires in the fluid and place the lid on the bucket ..Wait 24 hrs and remove the wheels

+1, exactly what I do. Except mine are usually done in 5 hours.

fatdaddy 07-01-2009 06:33 AM

I have a friend that has been reusing the same fluid for the last few months..Make sure you keep the lid on it so the stuff don`t evaporate

Foams wiull be garbage but the tire and rim will still be good...I use this method to reuse the rims or to remove good tires from craked or broken rims

yeah, if you want to save the foams its the only way to go. takes a couple days for the glue to melt, but it worth it if you just cracked a new set of rims or have long wear foams you dont want to waste

Davidka 07-01-2009 07:11 AM

Acetone works great but beware of Losi Pink, Proline R3 and Panter Clay (likely J-Concepts Gold too), if you do the acetone trick on these rubber compounds the tires will shrink and harden like voodoo skulls. Have to employ the bake trick on these.

ngl 07-01-2009 07:20 AM

so will acetone ruin the foams or not?
up top he said it wouldn't
you said it would

cary 07-01-2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ngl (Post 6009595)
you said it would

I found that it does (YES)

ngl 07-01-2009 07:31 AM

thanks, i might try baking then

does it make the house stink though?

thanks for all the replys

Davidka 07-01-2009 07:32 AM

If you're using acetone, bet on the foams being destroyed. Sounds like if only the fumes come in contact with the outside of the tire then the foams can survive but usually acetone will eat foams.

fatdaddy 07-01-2009 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ngl (Post 6009595)
you said it would

if you submerge the tires in acetone it will destroy the foams.

if you do my method and keep the tires up out of the acetone, and allow the fumes to do the work, then you will be able to save the foams.

rossoh10 07-01-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ngl (Post 6009630)
thanks, i might try baking then

does it make the house stink though?

thanks for all the replys

Yes you`ll be able to smell it in the house.....I cooked a frozen pizza three days later and it tasted like rubber,even after letting the oven dry out..I will never use the oven again

YUK!!!

UltegraSTI 07-01-2009 10:54 AM

dont submerge in acetone, its the fumes that do the work. so sit them up off a pool of acetone and cover. go drink some brews, go to bed, wake up, check them, go to work, come home, more brews, run a tank or batt, then b4 bed, check em and more than likely done. ready for refoam, tire change, or removal of a cracked rim

R

2fst2c 07-01-2009 11:02 AM

I just did some and I boiled them. Threw them in an old pan and boiled them for about 20 mins. 1 at a time. Tires came right off. You'll want to have some gloves on though. I used a couple OvGloves.