Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
balancing putty >

balancing putty

balancing putty

Old 06-30-2009, 06:59 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,847
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default balancing putty

just wondering what kind of putty or other methods guys r using to balance tires. i have some modeling putty, would this work?
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:04 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (86)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Omaha,NE
Posts: 2,591
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default

Most use modeling clay and a tire balancer. Or you can use a old hub if you don't want to spend the cash on a balancer.
WideOpenThrottle RC is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (55)
 
jpalessi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,747
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
just wondering what kind of putty or other methods guys r using to balance tires. i have some modeling putty, would this work?
this is what i use

http://www.gmksupply.com/html/gmk_0103.html
jpalessi is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
iTrader: (67)
 
cary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

I use lead tape you can get it at most hobby shops or golf shops
it works good but the clay looks easier to use don't now how it
holds up I use a Hudy wheel balancer
cary is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,847
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Qmartin View Post
Most use modeling clay and a tire balancer. Or you can use a old hub if you don't want to spend the cash on a balancer.
i have the balancer. just not sure if guys r using putty or tape.
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (171)
 
"Smiley"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cypress, Tx
Posts: 4,859
Trader Rating: 171 (97%+)
Default

The best way is to use Non Hardening Modeling Clay. You can buy a whole pack for about $2. A pack will last for awhile.
"Smiley" is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 AM
  #7  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

tape for 1/2 off wheel's and putty for zero....i still like tape over putty for the fact i know how much tape i add and how much it weight's....the putty is more hit and miss but does do the trick......if you have a real heavy sided tire like a proline LRP or something the putty needs to be spread out to counteract the heavy side...but with putty you tend to blob it in 1 area causing Another heavy side opposite to the 1st one....so in reality your not helping the tire out that much..this is where the tape comes into play as you can spread out the weight on a much larger surface area to actually balance the tire....Not just Offset the heavy side with putty.....that's how i see it at least.
Integra is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,847
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

so were on the inside of the rim do u put it. close to the inside edge, middle or near the outside?
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM
  #9  
Tech Master
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Posts: 1,369
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I just use ShooGoo it works for me and bonds nicely. also removal is fairly painless
jdeadman is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 AM
  #10  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
so were on the inside of the rim do u put it. close to the inside edge, middle or near the outside?


pics are worth 1000 words.

1/2 off



buggy tire but principle still applies with zero off trug rims
Integra is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
  #11  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,847
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
pics are worth 1000 words.

1/2 off



buggy tire but principle still applies with zero off trug rims
cool that helps alot thanks. who makes the tape u use.
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
  #12  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (148)
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,522
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I like the clay it is not as pretty but it's more precise on weight and placement. GMK or racers edge. I get it at amain. It does not come off at all.
Frank L is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
  #13  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I like the clay it is not as pretty but it's more precise on weight and placement. GMK or racers edge. I get it at amain. It does not come off at all.


NO WAY is putty/clay more accurate then tape...sorry Frank but i Firmly believe the tape is Way better overall...you can place it where you want...spread it out if need be...and you can measure the piece you put on and remove weight and know how much is there..and its defiantly not going to fall off from a little dust or mud...ive seen piece's of putty go Flying when you blast the inside of the wheel with a good 100PSI.


pballer2777 i get it from a whole sale golf place....you want a 100" roll....Not a folded up piece..some places charge Way too much for so little.
Integra is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
  #14  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (28)
 
pballer2777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,847
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Integra View Post
NO WAY is putty/clay more accurate then tape...sorry Frank but i Firmly believe the tape is Way better overall...you can place it where you want...spread it out if need be...and you can measure the piece you put on and remove weight and know how much is there..and its defiantly not going to fall off from a little dust or mud...ive seen piece's of putty go Flying when you blast the inside of the wheel with a good 100PSI.


pballer2777 i get it from a whole sale golf place....you want a 100" roll....Not a folded up piece..some places charge Way too much for so little.
when i go to get it from a golf place what do i ask for?
pballer2777 is offline  
Old 06-30-2009, 11:13 AM
  #15  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (52)
 
Jaz240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,494
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
when i go to get it from a golf place what do i ask for?
Lead tape
Jaz240 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.