R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   balancing putty (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/308484-balancing-putty.html)

pballer2777 06-30-2009 06:59 AM

balancing putty
 
just wondering what kind of putty or other methods guys r using to balance tires. i have some modeling putty, would this work?

WideOpenThrottle RC 06-30-2009 07:04 AM

Most use modeling clay and a tire balancer. Or you can use a old hub if you don't want to spend the cash on a balancer.

jpalessi 06-30-2009 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by pballer2777 (Post 6004573)
just wondering what kind of putty or other methods guys r using to balance tires. i have some modeling putty, would this work?

this is what i use

http://www.gmksupply.com/html/gmk_0103.html

cary 06-30-2009 07:08 AM

I use lead tape you can get it at most hobby shops or golf shops
it works good but the clay looks easier to use don't now how it
holds up I use a Hudy wheel balancer

pballer2777 06-30-2009 07:18 AM


Originally Posted by Qmartin (Post 6004594)
Most use modeling clay and a tire balancer. Or you can use a old hub if you don't want to spend the cash on a balancer.

i have the balancer. just not sure if guys r using putty or tape.

"Smiley" 06-30-2009 07:31 AM

The best way is to use Non Hardening Modeling Clay. You can buy a whole pack for about $2. A pack will last for awhile.

Integra 06-30-2009 07:54 AM

tape for 1/2 off wheel's and putty for zero....i still like tape over putty for the fact i know how much tape i add and how much it weight's....the putty is more hit and miss but does do the trick......if you have a real heavy sided tire like a proline LRP or something the putty needs to be spread out to counteract the heavy side...but with putty you tend to blob it in 1 area causing Another heavy side opposite to the 1st one....so in reality your not helping the tire out that much..this is where the tape comes into play as you can spread out the weight on a much larger surface area to actually balance the tire....Not just Offset the heavy side with putty.....that's how i see it at least. :nod:

pballer2777 06-30-2009 08:39 AM

so were on the inside of the rim do u put it. close to the inside edge, middle or near the outside?

jdeadman 06-30-2009 08:57 AM

I just use ShooGoo it works for me and bonds nicely. also removal is fairly painless

Integra 06-30-2009 09:21 AM


Originally Posted by pballer2777 (Post 6004870)
so were on the inside of the rim do u put it. close to the inside edge, middle or near the outside?



pics are worth 1000 words.

1/2 off
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...0381243122.jpg


buggy tire but principle still applies with zero off trug rims
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...SC_0040231.jpg

pballer2777 06-30-2009 09:27 AM


Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6005032)
pics are worth 1000 words.

1/2 off
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...0381243122.jpg


buggy tire but principle still applies with zero off trug rims
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...SC_0040231.jpg

cool that helps alot thanks. who makes the tape u use.

Frank L 06-30-2009 09:37 AM

I like the clay it is not as pretty but it's more precise on weight and placement. GMK or racers edge. I get it at amain. It does not come off at all.

Integra 06-30-2009 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6005082)
I like the clay it is not as pretty but it's more precise on weight and placement. GMK or racers edge. I get it at amain. It does not come off at all.



NO WAY is putty/clay more accurate then tape...sorry Frank but i Firmly believe the tape is Way better overall...you can place it where you want...spread it out if need be...and you can measure the piece you put on and remove weight and know how much is there..and its defiantly not going to fall off from a little dust or mud...ive seen piece's of putty go Flying when you blast the inside of the wheel with a good 100PSI.


pballer2777 i get it from a whole sale golf place....you want a 100" roll....Not a folded up piece..some places charge Way too much for so little.

pballer2777 06-30-2009 11:07 AM


Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6005300)
NO WAY is putty/clay more accurate then tape...sorry Frank but i Firmly believe the tape is Way better overall...you can place it where you want...spread it out if need be...and you can measure the piece you put on and remove weight and know how much is there..and its defiantly not going to fall off from a little dust or mud...ive seen piece's of putty go Flying when you blast the inside of the wheel with a good 100PSI.


pballer2777 i get it from a whole sale golf place....you want a 100" roll....Not a folded up piece..some places charge Way too much for so little.

when i go to get it from a golf place what do i ask for?

Jaz240 06-30-2009 11:13 AM


Originally Posted by pballer2777 (Post 6005438)
when i go to get it from a golf place what do i ask for?

Lead tape


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:33 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.