R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   balancing putty (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/308484-balancing-putty.html)

Integra 06-30-2009 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6005464)
Lead tape

yupper's but in a 100" roll form...dont let them sell you the folded up piece that's only like 18" long...it wont get you that far.

Chris__RC 06-30-2009 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6006331)
yupper's but in a 100" roll form...dont let them sell you the folded up piece that's only like 18" long...it wont get you that far.

Where do you get the 100 foot roll? I bought a couple packs that were folded and they only last a couple sets of tires, even less if they are Pro-Line. The small packs were $5, how much are the big ones?

Integra 06-30-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 6006451)
Where do you get the 100 foot roll? I bought a couple packs that were folded and they only last a couple sets of tires, even less if they are Pro-Line. The small packs were $5, how much are the big ones?

Not 100 Feet....100 Inch's...hah I wish i could get 100' Worth...that would be AWESOME...but would also weight a TONNE. :lol:

RMKinWI 06-30-2009 04:14 PM

I use lead tape on buggy wheels, because they are not usually that out of balance. I use putty and lead tape on truggy wheels - putty to get you close and tape to finalize. I do like the tape better, but on truggy wheels you need to use alot of tape to get them balanced - AKA's are better balanced than Proline and seem to hold the balance longer.

I think it's a must to balance your tires - I can tell the difference - exp-specially with the truggy.

Just my .02 cents -

Chris__RC 06-30-2009 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6006462)
Not 100 Feet....100 Inch's...hah I wish i could get 100' Worth...that would be AWESOME...but would also weight a TONNE. :lol:

Sorry typed that out wrong. But how much are the 100" rolls?

Integra 06-30-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by RMKinWI (Post 6006574)
I use lead tape on buggy wheels, because they are not usually that out of balance. I use putty and lead tape on truggy wheels - putty to get you close and tape to finalize. I do like the tape better, but on truggy wheels you need to use alot of tape to get them balanced - AKA's are better balanced than Proline and seem to hold the balance longer.

I think it's a must to balance your tires - I can tell the difference - exp-specially with the truggy.

Just my .02 cents -

Aka truggy tire's ive found to be 3g-8g out
aka buggy tires are around .5g-3g 3g being on the extreme

Proline's....well i stopped counting the strips...but its in the range of 18-20g

Originally Posted by Chris__RC (Post 6006594)
Sorry typed that out wrong. But how much are the 100" rolls?

ive paid anything from 4-6$ for a roll. :nod:

Frank L 06-30-2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Integra (Post 6006825)
Aka truggy tire's ive found to be 3g-8g out
aka buggy tires are around .5g-3g 3g being on the extreme

Proline's....well i stopped counting the strips...but its in the range of 18-20g

Have you tried the new proline velocity VTR rims? Or are these numbers for the old rims?

markr04 07-01-2009 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6008181)
Have you tried the new proline velocity VTR rims? Or are these numbers for the old rims?

He's referring to the tires. Proline's tire molds are injected on one side only, which is why they are more unbalanced than others.

AKA, for example, injects on two sides opposite of each other.

Integra 07-01-2009 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6008181)

the new VTR's are Night and day over the old POS proline's.....they took around 2-3g at max...granted they were not mine...but they were balanced using the tape and from what i could tell he didn't have more then 2-3g on.....Ill be getting a set within the next week or so.....so ill be able to report back with actual #'s...but i can tell ya they are 10000x better then anything previous from Proline...buddy's truck looked dialed on the track with them and he claimed the traction gained over a set of Citi's was extreme...but then again i did TQ tuggy with 1/2 bald citi/beam combo. :lol:

WYLDTHING 07-01-2009 08:17 AM

For me....typically I use lead tape on my 1/10th scale stuff (since I only race it indoor electric in the winter), and I use the putty on my 1/8th scale wheels. The putty is cheaper, and I use more on the 1/8th stuff. It may not be quite as precise, but when you consider that you usually get some dirt or mud in your wheels anyway, then the putty works fine to get it close. And, the 1/8th tires and wheels don't usually last too long before they are shot, so the cheaper putty makes more sense (cents) to me for those.

Brad