Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ofna Hyper 7 TQ B questions. looking for my first 1/8 nitro.. >

Ofna Hyper 7 TQ B questions. looking for my first 1/8 nitro..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Hyper 7 TQ B questions. looking for my first 1/8 nitro..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Ofna Hyper 7 TQ B questions. looking for my first 1/8 nitro..

So I am new to the 1/8 nitro cars. I am running a AE SC10 now. I am looking at the Hyper 7 TQ B and have done some reading on the buggy. I read that the buggy is a good Club lvl racer. But if I wanted to take my racing to the next lvl could this be done with the Hyper 7 TQ with some hop-ups and other parts? Also how is the part avalibility with these kits? If anyone has some input on this Kit that would be great.

Thanks, Nick
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that buggy will work just fine for a club lvl race. and ofna has great parts support im pretty sure that quite a few parts on ofna buggys are the same as the other 10 or so buggys that ofna makes.
The best driver could win with the cheapest buggy, but the worst driver wont win with the most expensive. Just about and buggy will work well with a decent driver.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The hyper 7 was my first 1/8 nitro buggy. It was a good car for me then. This was maybe 9 years ago though. I race the hyper 9 now. A lot has changed in the design, but on a club level, the 7 is great.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would agree and disagree at the same time..i ran the Hyper 7 for 3 years..Only on tracks for practice/bashing, never raced..When I did finally decide to race it, I was really disappointed, its heavy as hell and jumps and turns like a Turtle. It was fun running it around the street, sand, dirt, and just driving it on a track, but when it came time to race it..the newer buggies are really allot better..save some more dough and shoot for the Losi 2.0 RTR..you'll thank me later that you have a rechargeable battery pack, and good radio, and a bumpbox
Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

If you can justify for me why its so much better to get the losi I would consider it. Its about 400$ more for the losi buggy. I can afford it so money is not the issue. Just want to make sure that I am making the right choice on it.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Prophet

i had a ofna 7 and yes it is very stable dued to the weight but it doesnt jump and steer to bad though ,i have a losi eight 1.0 and its just much better and it jumps awsome and its fast and nimble but even with a good driver on a hyper 7 racing wise will just get killed it just the newer techlogy
now 6 years ago or so everybody ethier had a kyosho infreno or hyper 7 etc .yea i know its expensive i got my eight 1.0 when its was on sale for 300 so i got lucky ,the hot bodies d8 is pretty good through if u plan to race and the price of it is good and u have money to get a better engine
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

For starters, the Losi comes with a pro version radio that has 2.4GHZ, which means you wont ever have to worry if someone is on your chanel..The hyper has a crappy radio with crystals that you will get interference with. You will experience servo glitching quite often and you cannot run it anywhere near power lines. There is also a very likely chance that a friend or fellow racer have the same channel as you meaning one of you either cant run, or have to change your crystals..

The Hyper 7 weighs as much as 1.5 times the Losi 2.0 meaning it not jump, turn, or handle as well.

The Hyper 7 sits about 5-10MM higher than the Losi, which also contributes to the Losi being that much better on a track, and for racing in general.

The Losi comes with a very capable race ready engine that will last longer, be easier to tune and make more power.

The Losi comes with a rechargeable receiver pack, which will make your servos stronger, and faster

because of all the race characteristics and the lower weight, the losi will be faster than the Hyper 7, meaning it will clear jumps easier and pull away from heavier buggies on straight aways

You can walk into just about ANY hobby shop and get parts for the Losi. (good luck finding parts for the Hyper 7)

The Losi comes with a very good starter box, so you will not get blisters, cuts, and burns pulling on a damn rope to start your engine, witch also leads to the Hyper engine being bogged down with the extra weight and rotating mass of the pull starter, plus I promise you you will break at least 4 pull starts before you realize how much you wish you had a starter box.

Losi has one of the best Tech support, and group of racers, so you can always find someone to help you, lend you parts, teach you set-ups and make the car faster, more fun, and quicker to learn with

I can go on and on, but I am telling you from experience, once I started racing my Hyper 7..It was time for a new buggy..I chose Xray because they are indestructible and right now thats what I needed because I still crash allot

Last edited by Jaz240; 06-30-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

hey thanks for all the input, I am going to read up on the Losi buggy and pick one up, (i always read up on something before I buy).

Thanks, Nick
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

but do look at the hb d8 also
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tc5 man
but do look at the hb d8 also
I cant seam to find a price on the RTR kit for the HB D8.. Got any links?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Prophet

they dont have rtr yet they only have the kit, checkout www.carolinasrc.com
they usally have the best prices. now it is heavyer than a eight but they do make a lighter chassis for it if u want to do that later in the road but it isnt nearly as heavy as a hyper 7
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

spend the money and buy the losi 8 2.0 rtr. You will be happier in the end. It also comes with bump box, good radio and receiver, and a .21 engine for racing. Dont even look at anything else.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Or Buy this and have all the best stuff right off the bat!!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post6006675