Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Orion ABI Anyone running this motor? >

Orion ABI Anyone running this motor?

Orion ABI Anyone running this motor?

Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Orion ABI Anyone running this motor?

I was wanting some info as far as pipe and plug selection? How is your experience with the motor so far? The one with the ceramics. Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default motor

WE have been using the orion number 5 plug or os p3 , also the 2013 sirio pipe or os 2050 pipe, i think the 2066 would be good also .
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My pops has been running the .21 ABI version in his 8ight-t 2.0. For some reason the motor lacks a bit of bottom end, but He has only tried 2 pipes so far. I think the motor will benefit from a HT pipe.

Originally Posted by ON A MISSION
WE have been using the orion number 5 plug or os p3 , also the 2013 sirio pipe or os 2050 pipe, i think the 2066 would be good also .
How do you like the motor with the 2060? I'm thinking of ordering the losi RE-11 for him.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jwcobra03
I was wanting some info as far as pipe and plug selection? How is your experience with the motor so far? The one with the ceramics. Thanks
AE 2035 worked the best for me!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've seen this engine in action in a number of cars and trucks so I can pass along what I know. It doesn't have the bottom end of the 5-port or the US spec, but it's not because of the number of ports and it's by design that it has a little less bottom end. Most good drivers dial out the bottom end as much as possible because most engines have too much to begin with. The port and induction timing of the ABI engine is designed to deliver smooth bottom end, great top end, and above all, excellent fuel economy. The ABI includes ceramic bearings for the crank, a turbo head button, lightweight head and the high-end carburetor. It's as high spec as you could want, and the smooth power delivery means less wheel spin for more control, and depending on the track and the driver, it can get up to 11-12 minutes of run time. It can also go as low as 9 minutes, but you have to be driving pretty poorly.

It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons of fuel to get the engine to run really well. Until then, the heat is a little higher, the economy is slightly down, as is the power. The engine that is the closest to the ABI would be the O.S. V-Spec, which has nearly identical port timing with the exception of the crank induction port - the ABI and the V-spec open at the same point, but the ABI closes about 5-degrees earlier. This was at least the spec when I measured both engines. These things tend to change over time, but that's how they compare for now.

The ABI engine, at least in a Kyosho car or truck, tends to like 1.0 springs, but according to Gil Jr., it's a little better with one or two 1.1 springs in the truck to give it a little more bottom end.

It's a good engine with really good power delivery. If you want to do wheelies and throw dirt all over the place, then an engine with bigger bottom and and less fuel economy is the way to go. But if you want faster, more consistent lap times, better fuel economy and a more drivable car or truck, this engine is a good choice.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Try a 2056 sirio pipe with the extender
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

im running the .21 alpha in my 8ight 2.0 buggy and the alpha .24 in my truggy both with RE10 pipes.. im going to run the truggy clutch slightly more aggresive to get a little more bottom out of it...ill let you know how the set up works
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Whats the normal operating temps for this engine race tune?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

The running temperature will vary widely depending on conditions. The brand, oil and nitro content of the fuel, altitude, humidity, ambient temperature and clutch settings are just a few things that affect engine running temps. The best answer to a question like this is "whatever temp results from the ideal mixture setting." It's not as convenient as just saying that it should run at "X" temp, but it's the most honest answer. I've seen them run anywhere from 180°F to 280°F depending on the conditions.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SteveP
I've seen this engine in action in a number of cars and trucks so I can pass along what I know. It doesn't have the bottom end of the 5-port or the US spec, but it's not because of the number of ports and it's by design that it has a little less bottom end. Most good drivers dial out the bottom end as much as possible because most engines have too much to begin with. The port and induction timing of the ABI engine is designed to deliver smooth bottom end, great top end, and above all, excellent fuel economy. The ABI includes ceramic bearings for the crank, a turbo head button, lightweight head and the high-end carburetor. It's as high spec as you could want, and the smooth power delivery means less wheel spin for more control, and depending on the track and the driver, it can get up to 11-12 minutes of run time. It can also go as low as 9 minutes, but you have to be driving pretty poorly.

It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons of fuel to get the engine to run really well. Until then, the heat is a little higher, the economy is slightly down, as is the power. The engine that is the closest to the ABI would be the O.S. V-Spec, which has nearly identical port timing with the exception of the crank induction port - the ABI and the V-spec open at the same point, but the ABI closes about 5-degrees earlier. This was at least the spec when I measured both engines. These things tend to change over time, but that's how they compare for now.

The ABI engine, at least in a Kyosho car or truck, tends to like 1.0 springs, but according to Gil Jr., it's a little better with one or two 1.1 springs in the truck to give it a little more bottom end.

It's a good engine with really good power delivery. If you want to do wheelies and throw dirt all over the place, then an engine with bigger bottom and and less fuel economy is the way to go. But if you want faster, more consistent lap times, better fuel economy and a more drivable car or truck, this engine is a good choice.
I was under the impression that the V-Spec has more bottom than the Orion ABI? I´m looking to making a change to Orion next season and would like something with less bottom than my V-Spec.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CocoChanels
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!
????
Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CocoChanels
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by harleyrules
I was under the impression that the V-Spec has more bottom than the Orion ABI? I´m looking to making a change to Orion next season and would like something with less bottom than my V-Spec.

Thanks
As I previous mentioned, the ABI has a 5-degrees difference in induction timing, so there's a very subtle difference in the amount of air and fuel that's getting into the engine, so the bottom end is going to be slightly smoother than the V-Spec, but it's subtle. I also believe that the difference in induction timing gives the ABI slightly better mileage potential.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SteveP
As I previous mentioned, the ABI has a 5-degrees difference in induction timing, so there's a very subtle difference in the amount of air and fuel that's getting into the engine, so the bottom end is going to be slightly smoother than the V-Spec, but it's subtle. I also believe that the difference in induction timing gives the ABI slightly better mileage potential.
I better try someones Orion ABI around here before the switch then cause I´ve been very happy with the V-Spec.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.