Community
Wiki Posts
Search

help with 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default help with 3.3

this is with 2 gallons of blue thunder through it. It ran great today for about 2 tanks then wouldnt start again. But wouldnt start again. As far as I know this engine has never been ran over 270 and was broke in right. let me know if everything looks ok by the top of the piston.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Can't tell to much by the pic but if you can get the piston in that position with out any resistance you may have lost the pinch in the engine.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

should I put a piston and sleeve in the engine and try again? ill check the bearings also b/c this engine should have lasted longer than this.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

How far up can you push the piston up into the sleeve?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Initiate

id say 2mm from the top. I think the problem may have been the sleeve was comin out of the case everything the piston went up. there was a knocking is this possible and if so what is the fix.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Was the head loose when you took it apart? But I would say that the pinch may be gone in the engine and if that is so then you would need to have the sleeve pinched or buy a new piston and sleeve.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks, think ill do the erp from traxxas or put an OS engine in it. and the head bolt were tight.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

That was going to me the next thing that I was going to suggest the erp program that Traxxas does is awsome!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And the blue stuff is from BT fuel. Not alot of people like it.....
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think the problem may have been the sleeve was comin out of the case everything the piston went up
Did this happen everytime you turned the engine over while the head was off?
If so, it means you've still got more than enough pinch left in the sleeve. From the photos it also doesn't look bad at all. There's no pitting of the piston or anything of the sort, and it's not burnt black (which would indicate lean running).

So IMHO, I don't think you need to erp the engine yet. Check the following first:

1. Does the engine keep spinning when you press the start button (i.e do hear the "pop, pop, pop" sound continually)? If not, the one way bearing may be slipping. If the bearing is slipping the "pop, pop" sound will stop and you'll hear the electric motor spinning.

2. When you press the start button with the wand in the car, does both led's light up? This will give you an indication of whether the glow plug is working. The blue wire on the glow plug may not be making good contact with the plug, or the yellow wire that connects to the engine crankase may not be making a good connection.

3. Have a look at what the glow plug itself looks like. Is the coil distorted at all? If the plug doesn't look 100%, then just replace it and see if that helps.

4. Set the carb back to factory settings (which is 4 turns open on the hsn and the lsn flush with the carb housing) and then try starting it again.

Try the above things first and let me know what you find.