Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
I'm buying a new car. Budget: $375 Suggestions? >

I'm buying a new car. Budget: $375 Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm buying a new car. Budget: $375 Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default I'm buying a new car. Budget: $375 Suggestions?

I want something that can do off road well. My friend (who I regularly drive with) has a Jato 3.3, and I'd like to at least come close to his top speed off road. I was thinking either the OFNA Ravager, the OFNA Hyper 7, or an OFNA Comp XL. Which of these three is a faster, higher quality car? Or do you recommend another car?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Of those 3. The Ofna Hyper 7 TQ Black is what U want. Comes ready to run with a race legal .21 engine. U should be able to get it from any hobby shop for about $300.00
Old 06-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Hyper 7

I bought myself a Hyper 7 PBS last Christmas for $399 with Mac .28 motor and I've been extremely happy with it. I run the crap out of it; on gallon number 4 so far, and everything has been solid. Busted the front shock mount once, and that was it. The engine is very reliable and easy to tune on 20%. Power is very good. I would think the Hyper 7 TQ is just as good. I have heard the Hyper .21 mill is excellent as well (although I think you want the 8 -port?)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Ravager is crap, don't waste your money. Sorry, just being honest... I had one.

Of the 3 the Hyper 7 is the best, but it is a VERY "dated" design.

Do you plan to race, or just bash and play around?

There are a lot of good options out there, but honestly $375 won't get you much of a quality car.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Find a used 3.3 Revo. You sound like you just want to bash, and the Revo will be more fun off road than the Jato, and nearly as fast on the road.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

You'll probably like the extra ground clearance of a Revo compared to a buggy. The Revo wont be as fast in stock form but you can always fix that later.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Find a used 3.3 Revo. You sound like you just want to bash, and the Revo will be more fun off road than the Jato, and nearly as fast on the road.
no where near as fast as a Jato not even close - I run both all the time.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Adept

I just need a car to play around and bash with, I'm not looking to race or anything. I just sold my T maxx Pro .15, and I'm so done with monster trucks. They're slow, bulky, and unstable. My dream car would be a truggy, but I can't seem to find a quality one in my price range, so buggies are next in line.

So, scratch the ravager. The comp XL just ended on Ebay, so I guess that means a Hyper 7, or hyper 8 if I can get my hands on one. There also the option of the "OFNA Picco", but I don't really know much about that car. Remember, speed and durability are my top two concerns.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sokar
I just need a car to play around and bash with, I'm not looking to race or anything. I just sold my T maxx Pro .15, and I'm so done with monster trucks. They're slow, bulky, and unstable. My dream car would be a truggy, but I can't seem to find a quality one in my price range, so buggies are next in line.

So, scratch the ravager. The comp XL just ended on Ebay, so I guess that means a Hyper 7, or hyper 8 if I can get my hands on one. There also the option of the "OFNA Picco", but I don't really know much about that car. Remember, speed and durability are my top two concerns.
if your getting it used....ebay is a good place to get what you really want....TRUGGY!

i grabbed my ofna hoboa hyper st for $240 off ebay...and it came with 3 motors! but sold all the motors to pay for a burshless set up.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...&products_id=3

http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...&products_id=4
Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by oldschoolrc
if your getting it used....ebay is a good place to get what you really want....TRUGGY!

i grabbed my ofna hoboa hyper st for $240 off ebay...and it came with 3 motors! but sold all the motors to pay for a burshless set up.
Can't seem to find any good truggies except for the Hotbodies Lightning, which is nice but near impossible to get parts for.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

there is losi rtr and race roller truggies on ebay used fro 375 or less all hte time that is what you should go with
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ST-Truggy-RTR

just for a little bit more you can have what you want
Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by coviello
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ST-Truggy-RTR

just for a little bit more you can have what you want
Hmmm... and use the coupon (good until the end of June) for $25 off. The code is JJDCPP925

That gets you down to like $405 and they usually have free shipping.

Note that with a buggy, you're buddies Jato is in serious trouble... with a Truggy, the Jato is barely even a speed bump.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

You should keep your eyes open for a used Losi 8ight buggy or 8ight T (truggy). Lots of folks are selling them to upgrade to the new 2.0 versions. Good reliable car or truggy and parts are easy to come by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.