rebuilding an engine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rebuilding an engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Regular

Wowwwww I have snapped ears off the case, cracked the case along the bottom, Blown a hole in the side of the case and now you put force on the motor and the thing disinegrated. V specs definetly have a case problem. And there front bearing leak. My EB mods v spec came with ceramic special sealed bearings... still leaked. Motor has constant air leaks, runs hot, flames out.

My new novarossi is PERECT! Douglas why dont you just run plus 4 like your dad? Hasnt he been having WAY less problems than when he ran v spec? Also my sirio ran good.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

your Sirio ran good till you blew it up! When in doubt lean it out, till it grenades!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread Doug but I have a quick question about my V-Spec as well!

I just had a mild pinch done to the sleeve, I'm doing the break in on it and it seems like when I let off the gas when I'm buzzing around the parking lot it is almost jake braking. It makes this puttering noise like your car would if you had a standard trans and let off the gas while in a low gear.

I have never heard an engine do this before, it seems rather odd. Also forgot to metion it's installed in a Losi 2.0T with a fresh clutch.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Lord

What kind of temps are you at..maybe the piston is sticking in the sleeve?

Is the piston skirt hitting something?

these are obviously just guesses...the only other thing that comes to mind is one of the bearings has a bad ball, which is jerking the shaft around

did you take it apart and check it?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
What kind of temps are you at..maybe the piston is sticking in the sleeve?

Is the piston skirt hitting something?

these are obviously just guesses...the only other thing that comes to mind is one of the bearings has a bad ball, which is jerking the shaft around

did you take it apart and check it?
Temps are 220ish and it stops if I hit the brakes. It only does it if I give it a fair amount of gas and let it coast. But as I said the instant you brake it stops.

My initial guess is it's the front bearing, but it seems to run rather stable and at good temps and has insane power. So at this point it's hard to tell.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

GRP engine tooling kit will solve all of your problems. And get one while you still can. GRP will no longer be making engines so I would assume they won't make the tooling kit either. Really saves a LOT of headaches.

As for your issue, you will need a new case. As jpalessi reccomended the ninja case is the best one. Speed and v-spec cases are basically the same(the carb pinch bolt is different). But if you can find a deal on a good condition v-spec case you should be fine. Just DON'T slap the engine on the exhaust port. To remove the bearings with the oven method, you should only hit the engine on the backplate.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AutieBender
Wowwwww I have snapped ears off the case, cracked the case along the bottom, Blown a hole in the side of the case and now you put force on the motor and the thing disinegrated. V specs definetly have a case problem. And there front bearing leak. My EB mods v spec came with ceramic special sealed bearings... still leaked. Motor has constant air leaks, runs hot, flames out.

My new novarossi is PERECT! Douglas why dont you just run plus 4 like your dad? Hasnt he been having WAY less problems than when he ran v spec? Also my sirio ran good.
my dad had zero issues with his vspec. And im breakin the nova in saturday for the buggy cause bill from bce speed chassis chose me to do some testing at the pit with there new chassis. And i need a truggy motor cause when he gets the truggy chassis done im testing that as well
Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
GRP engine tooling kit will solve all of your problems. And get one while you still can. GRP will no longer be making engines so I would assume they won't make the tooling kit either. Really saves a LOT of headaches.

As for your issue, you will need a new case. As jpalessi reccomended the ninja case is the best one. Speed and v-spec cases are basically the same(the carb pinch bolt is different). But if you can find a deal on a good condition v-spec case you should be fine. Just DON'T slap the engine on the exhaust port. To remove the bearings with the oven method, you should only hit the engine on the backplate.
i didnt slap the exhaust port, it was the back plate area, and you said the speed case was the same except the pinch bolt, whats different
Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

My sirio had 6 gallons on it and still had machanical pinch. sometimes I'd have to use the heat gun just to start the thing. But in the main at nitro cross (the o-ring in my hsn was worn out) the highspeed needle screwed itself sll the way in and the motor just blew up. But it did not lean bog.

And after 6 gallons it did not flame out once!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Autie's Dad
My sirio had 6 gallons on it and still had machanical pinch. sometimes I'd have to use the heat gun just to start the thing. But in the main at nitro cross (the o-ring in my hsn was worn out) the highspeed needle screwed itself sll the way in and the motor just blew up. But it did not lean bog.

And after 6 gallons it did not flame out once!!!
didnt that happen to kenny as well? if the +4 preforms as good as people say ill be stickin with it
Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by losi_racer
i didnt slap the exhaust port, it was the back plate area, and you said the speed case was the same except the pinch bolt, whats different
The speed pinch bolt is larger for some reason. So if you went to the speed case you would need to get the speed pinch bolt too.

As for hitting it, I really doubt it would just fall off without being dropped/slapped. It is weak metal, but still metal. Unles you had already cracked it earlier, it wouldn't just chip like that without some kind of impact.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

The speed pinch bolt is larger for some reason. So if you went to the speed case you would need to get the speed pinch bolt too.

As for hitting it, I really doubt it would just fall off without being dropped/slapped. It is weak metal, but still metal. Unles you had already cracked it earlier, it wouldn't just chip like that without some kind of impact.
jammin, honestly, i had to put it in the oven for so long i think the case just got brital
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by losi_racer
jammin, honestly, i had to put it in the oven for so long i think the case just got brital
I see. Well again GRP bearing tool solves that problem. There are others too, that work very well. The GRP one is very nice and works with most sizes(above 13mm). no heating required!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Lord

no heating required!

Now you need to explain, how the GRP thingy gets the bearings out without expanding the case? The case is what holds the bearings in place

You have my interest. Please go on
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Now you need to explain, how the GRP thingy gets the bearings out without expanding the case? The case is what holds the bearings in place

You have my interest. Please go on
i would imagine it's like a gear puller, with a high torque pulling action similar to that of a come along.

Just a guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.