Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rebuilding an engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If i doesn't expand the case Dreaux, it will grind the case every time you pull out and/or put in a new bearing it be slightly looser, and eventually it will not hold tight..That's why I am so curious as to how it works
Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Now you need to explain, how the GRP thingy gets the bearings out without expanding the case? The case is what holds the bearings in place

You have my interest. Please go on
It is a puller. It clamps the bearing from the inside and pulls it out without heat. Just like the tools that engine builders/factories use. It really won't hurt the engine. How many times are you going to remove and install bearings? You can also heat the block up some when you do it if you feel it is nessicary.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Lord

ok so it works like a flywheel puller but its made for bearings. i would think its really hrrd to get them in and out without heat...looks and sounds like it worth the $$ though..thnx bud
Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

ok so it works like a flywheel puller but its made for bearings. i would think its really hrrd to get them in and out without heat...looks and sounds like it worth the $$ though..thnx bud
It's actually VERY easy to get them out without heat. I can change bearings in an engine from start to finish in about 10 minutes(assembly and disassembly of the engine included). The tool does all of the work. You just turn the wheels and the bearing will pop out.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSR0050
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

Me likey..I'll ask Billy Fischer to get it for me..I am sure it wont be $180..ouch
Old 06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Tech Champion

Me likey..I'll ask Billy Fischer to get it for me..I am sure it wont be $180..ouch
Yeah the price tag does hurt. It used to be available for cheaper at some of the online places, but noone seems to be carrying it anymore. Better hurry if you want one. GRP is no more(as far as engines go).
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you have everything to put it all back together with i wouldn't think that little chip would hurt anything. It did not go all the way down to the case and the exhuast gasket will seal that off. Just make sure to put a couple of pipe springs on to keep it nice and snug. But if i had all the stuff i would definately try it. If it goes to lean bogging like you don't have the pressure line on then you know it's not going to work. But from looking at the pics i don't see any problem with it not sealing off.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

oh yeah and the grp engine tooling kit is the best money i ever spent it rc. I am seriously thinking of trying to pick up another set just because they won't be out there much longer. Worth every penny!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

over the course of time, i've done bearings on plenty of engines(italian, japanese, etc.)........i use a heat gun(not a hair drier).......have never had a bearing(front or rear) that has given me a problem.........removing of installing