R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Picco ~ Hard Start (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/305282-picco-%7E-hard-start.html)

RCRat 06-17-2009 02:27 AM

Picco ~ Hard Start

I just purchased a Picco Buggy and I have successfully broken in the engine....but it is a hard start....takes a while to get started and going and it takes a while to get warmed up enough to drive.

Is this normal?

tkhoo 06-17-2009 07:14 AM

Hi, you mean hard start is because your box cant spin your flywheel or it spin but hard to fire up? If cant spin mean your engine still got lot of pinch as it still new and this is good and it cant fire up i feel might be your LSN set too rich..........Correct me if I am wrong. :sweat::sweat:

roadracer43 06-17-2009 07:20 AM

You should heat up your engine before you crank it up. If you cant keep the temps up then you have some tuning to do. With a pre-heated engine it is so much easier to crank and saves some wear on the engine. Its a must !!

ridein04 06-17-2009 07:42 AM

If you were running rich during break in, you may try a new glow plug. That always seems to help me when my engines dont want to fire right up.

RCRat 06-17-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tkhoo (Post 5948060)
Hi, you mean hard start is because your box cant spin your flywheel or it spin but hard to fire up? If cant spin mean your engine still got lot of pinch as it still new and this is good and it cant fire up i feel might be your LSN set too rich..........Correct me if I am wrong. :sweat::sweat:

Yeah...hard to fire up....the engine is still a little tight, but like you said that is good. I'll lean it out an hour or two and see if that does the trick.

RCRat 06-17-2009 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by roadracer43 (Post 5948080)
You should heat up your engine before you crank it up. If you cant keep the temps up then you have some tuning to do. With a pre-heated engine it is so much easier to crank and saves some wear on the engine. Its a must !!

???.....Are you saying to grab my heat gun and warm the engine with it...then fire it up?

howtowakeakar 06-17-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by RCRat (Post 5950468)
???.....Are you saying to grab my heat gun and warm the engine with it...then fire it up?

Heat it, then try and start it.
Loosens the piston and sleeve up.

slumlord 06-17-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by RCRat (Post 5950461)
Yeah...hard to fire up....the engine is still a little tight, but like you said that is good. I'll lean it out an hour or two and see if that does the trick.

Yeah I wouldn't do that on a fresh motor with a tight pinch, it's not going to help the starting issue at all.

Just do as the others said and heat the engine up with the heat gun to about 200 before you start it and it should fire right up NP.