R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   os problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/304941-os-problem.html)

liteumup387 06-15-2009 06:33 PM

os problem

i have a fairly new os engine after brake in it has not even a half gal through it
my problem is this thing is eating glow plugs like it gets paid to do it :(
it ate 3 glow plugs during brake in but i figured its just really rich so i didnt think too much of it now its all tuned its running right around 200 deg F has decent power idles fine starts up hot or cold in about 3 pulls so i know im not cooking the glow plug
ill be running the buggy and ill realize power is starting to fall off a little (less punch off the line) itll either eventually die out at a idle or ill shut it off and it wont start ill pull the glow plug and shure enough its either dead or its bearily glowing ive ran about a half gal since brake in and its just eatn its 4th or 5th glow plug :flaming:
ive tried os plugs dynomite and some traxxas pulg that my buddy had (it had the same reach as the ones im using)
i dont think its running too rich it has little trail of smoke from the exhaust but nothing excessive
the engine is the os 21 RG the pull start version of the VG
the fuel im running is 30% odonnell
any ideas? :confused:

ezveedub 06-15-2009 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by liteumup387 (Post 5941467)
i have a fairly new os engine after brake in it has not even a half gal through it
it ate 3 glow plugs during brake in but i figured its just really rich so i didnt think too much of it now its all tuned its running right around 200 deg F has decent power idles fine starts up hot or cold in about 3 pulls so i know im not cooking the glow plug
ill be running the buggy and ill realize power is starting to fall off a little (less punch off the line) itll either eventually die out at a idle or ill shut it off and it wont start ill pull the glow plug and shure enough its either dead or its bearily glowing ive ran about a half gal since brake in and its just eatn its 4th or 5th glow plug :flaming:
ive tried os plugs dynomite and some traxxas pulg that my buddy had (it had the same reach as the ones im using)
i dont think its running too rich it has little trail of smoke from the exhaust but nothing excessive

I've seen the VG eat plugs. I have never seen a VG really take a good race tune and stay running fine with out overheating or taking a dump by eating the glowplug. From what your describing though, the mixture sounds lean, or is going lean. This motor uses a nickel sleeve which does not last long at all under these conditions. IMO, your better off going with a VSpec or JX21 in the OS engines series. Or unless you really want it, the Speed is their best motor.

JAMMINKRAZY 06-15-2009 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by liteumup387 (Post 5941467)

If it's the RG, it has NOTHING to do with the VG. Sounds like an overly lean tune, or incorrect head shimming.:nod:

liteumup387 06-15-2009 07:48 PM

yea i know the vg isnt a really good motor i needed a motor to go racin and just got really impatient.... got riped off..... regret it.... lol but the motor really isnt too bad its no vspec by any means but the power isnt too bad so im just gonna run this one for a little while longer itll it dies or till i get fed up wit buying glow plugs lol