Wiki Posts
Search

Wooden ramps for jumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Wooden ramps for jumps?

Looking to see if anyone has built and used wooden ramps for the take off jumps on an off-road track.
Our track is hosting a large 3 day event at the end of the month and we are thinking of puting in a wooden ramp instead of the typical dirt for the take off of the big tripple. The thinking is no maintainence and consistency through out the event.
If anyone has designed, built, used, or driven on these types of jumps let me know what you think. I believe the Physco Nitro Blast uses them although we are not looking to go that extreme.
Thanks,
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slidejob26
Looking to see if anyone has built and used wooden ramps for the take off jumps on an off-road track.
Our track is hosting a large 3 day event at the end of the month and we are thinking of puting in a wooden ramp instead of the typical dirt for the take off of the big tripple. The thinking is no maintainence and consistency through out the event.
If anyone has designed, built, used, or driven on these types of jumps let me know what you think. I believe the Physco Nitro Blast uses them although we are not looking to go that extreme.
Thanks,

I think one thing in Off road is to be able to drive and part of driving is adjusting to the track as it wears. Take a look a worlds at the Farm or Silver state.

Use dirt. Its not suppose to be that consistant. its going to wear as the days go on.

Last edited by token; 06-10-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use Astro-turf on the faces of the big jumps for sure and possibly for the landings. Roll the track like usual and with the astro-turf roll the dirt over the front face so it doesn't get rolled back up when cars go up it. Get small tent pegs or something similar that you can hammer down the rest of the astro-turf so it hugs the dirt and doesn't lift. Works extremely well over here in the UK and keeps maintenance costs down as the astro softens the initial blow that the car makes on the face of the jump
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

You are right, the psycho nitro blast does use the wooden jumps. Even though what they do is 'extreme' on some of the jumps it is not necessary for you to do that. I feel that they work pretty well and they do stay consistent, But sometimes the area right before the jump will deteriorate and you will need to fix that. But all in all I feel that the wooden jumps work pretty well.
Vid of Psycho Nitro Blast track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqapqGMJLA
Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ive ran on a couple of wooden jumps and they seem to work fine. Just like was mentioned earlier a little maintenance at the edge of the jump and it will stay consistant for you. They add a little something extra for a track. The video above is proof. That track looks awesome. You can even put some indoor outdoor carpet on the face of it and it works good also. Just dont try to turn while on the carpet, it has great traction and will send you somewhere you may not want to be.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRCRacer24
You are right, the psycho nitro blast does use the wooden jumps. Even though what they do is 'extreme' on some of the jumps it is not necessary for you to do that. I feel that they work pretty well and they do stay consistent, But sometimes the area right before the jump will deteriorate and you will need to fix that. But all in all I feel that the wooden jumps work pretty well.
Vid of Psycho Nitro Blast track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuqapqGMJLA
Holy Sh@t. That track kicks a$$. If you dont time your jumps right there, your vehicle is getting phucked up. lol
Old 06-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Wood definitely has some advantages.

For me it comes down to personal preference, I prefer the deterioration aspects of dirt. Of course I don't like overly enormous jumps and think truggies are rtarded looking.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

we have some heavy duty carpet on the landing of one of our jumps,and i like it.when i have some of that "extra" time,i plan on building some for our track.i like the consistency.especially because actual shovel maintenance at our track doesnt exist.i have been wanting to build some carpet covered pvc pipe whoops sections as well.i am sure i'll stir up a pot by saying this,but i have ran on dirt for a while...why not try new things,wooden jumps,some carpet like on the jump faces or landings.my opinion is to not be scared of change,or get stuck in some closed minded rut.this is all about having fun,and if some wood or carpet mixed in with your dirt is what it takes ,then so be it.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

where was that track at ???

Psycho Nitro Blast track?? location
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The biggest suggestion I'd have is to build the take off ramp with a radius in it like a skateboard ramp. I don't know the details of how to construct one like that, but it'll be easier on the cars and easier on the dirt/wood interface. You won't have to build as large a ramp to get really good air time, either.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dadsvtechonda
where was that track at ???

Psycho Nitro Blast track?? location
Outskirts of Atlanta Georgia..They build the track every year for 3 days only in a warehouse or such, and they they tear it down and start over again the next year..People come from all over the country and you race for 3 days straight, sometimes with no sleep..I think almost 400 people raced it this year
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the input everyone, if anyone has built a ramp I'd be interested in any sort of construction plans I have thought about carpet or astro turf on the faces of the dirt jumps, sounds like it would help keep the faces in decent shape over a long race event.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

One of our local tracks use's wooden jumps. They work good, however they use roll roofing instead of carpet for the face of the jumps. The roofing works well for traction, but some have complained saying the bottom of their chasis's are getting scratched up. You can definetly get some awesome air if you add a little radius to the jumps ala skateboard 1/4 pipes!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Astroturf on the faces of the jumps is what you want, my local track started doing this last year and its made a big diff. They build the layout in the begining of the season and the jumps stay almost exatly the same for a few months and this on a track that has people practicing and bashing on it almost every day.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I like the wooden ramp idea as you can move them around and reposition them without having to do a ton of dirt work. It seems simple enough to make other technical areas without the need of dirt. look at some of the European tracks and stuff from the UK they use rock, tile, brick and grass. Adds to the technicality and makes people really work on set-up of the vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.