Wiki Posts
Search

os vspec engine owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default os vspec engine owners

so any of you all mind sharing your needle settings??? I know no 2 engines are alike even if it's the same model. But it will help me know if i am in the right ballpark. I read the tunnings article that is stickied and it was VERY informative. However it will be raining for a couple days here and won't be able to troubleshoot. My engine totally cuts out at mid to full throtle. I am pretty sure my top end it too lean and the bottom is to rich. My bottom is three quaters in from flush and my top is one and three quaters out. It was running great at the track now the tune is off. I have been making small adjustments and i am pretty close just don't want to get to far off in any one direction. I think my idle gap is 1 mil but i can't figure out a good way to measure it. Might be a bit more or a bit less. Even though all engines are different, letting me here what your settings are would let me know if i am in the right ball park.

tunning is not easy. but i am learning and getting a knack for it.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

anybody???? this will be my only thread today. I promise!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You have to give guys more than 7mins to respond!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wasnt it just tuned by an OS employee?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My top end is within an hour or two from 2 1/4 out.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

V spec's tune differently than Italian engines..they prefer a richer bottom and a leaner top, so Ron's tuning tips dont work as well. I am not in front of my engine so I cant tell you my settings right now. I dont keep track I just tune till its good (or someone tunes it for me) Dont tune in the rain. The moisture in the air will give you totally different settings than on a clear day
Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
You have to give guys more than 7mins to respond!
I know. I am sorry. My biggest shortcomming is patience. Or lack of. But 4 am comes very soon. Just want people to see my tune (vs hear it) and maybe that will help. i really want to learn it myself. I cannot go to the track everytime i need it tuned. It's like 50 miles away.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You need to tune it where you plan on running. Racing on the track is much different than 1/4 mile balls-out runs down the street or doing donuts in a parking lot. There are no "magical" needle settings. I had it setup well for you at the track with it just a little rich on top. You should never have to go far from that.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imaxx21
wasnt it just tuned by an OS employee?
he is not a employee. he is on the race team. He is on this board and he corrected me. I misunderstood. He made a couple turns (one 30 degree lean on the mid range) and a good 3 quater turn on the high end. It helped alot that day on the track. But back home it stalls at mid to top. I am scared of the mid range needle. And when he leaned it out, it helped alot then but i think my high end is too lean now to compensate for it. Just wondering what you guys have your engines set at is all.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ephidelt490
You need to tune it where you plan on running. Racing on the track is much different than 1/4 mile balls-out runs down the street or doing donuts in a parking lot. There are no "magical" needle settings. I had it setup well for you at the track with it just a little rich on top. You should never have to go far from that.
I am not doing donuts or wot in the street. I have some good farm land with hills and gravel/dirt roads my own ramps and everything. I am learning how to tune so i don't have to have people do it for me. You guys make it sound so easy and it is for you. but there are certain things i need to know that i am doing wrong so i don't make it worse. Just curious. I want to know if my top has the symtoms of being to lean and it apears it does so now i know when it acts the way i know to lean out the top whereever it may be. same thing with the low end and idle. My idle is high. But when i lean it in more it cuts out again. so i am thinking my throtle stop is too high and it might be to rich.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Dont tune in the rain. The moisture in the air will give you totally different settings than on a clear day
you'll go richer..
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Addict

Is the air filter clean?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

yes.

tell me if my symtoms sound like loss of compression. You heard how my engine was strugling at times. Well its a bit worse now. I still have compression when i turn the engine with the plug in. But can't really feel anything at all with the plug out. I know that could be normal. I also took the P/S out and pushed it up into the sleeve it seems ok. Stop less then a quater inch from the top. It still has some pinch but that does not mean air isn't flowing by the piston correct???. My break in was ok. but it got sumerged in water then i cleaned it. Then it had a air leak found that after i put it back together. I just hope i don';t need a new P/S. It seems no matter how i tune it this is what happens. Wouldn't that be a sign of a shot P/S??
Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

No, it will idle for days...

Did you put the piston in backwards and break the skirt off?
Old 05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ephidelt490
Is the air filter clean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.