Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch bell tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Clutch bell tricks?

Anyone have any tricks to remove a clutch bell that wont come off? mine will move freely but wont come off, im almost sure that my inner bearin went out. Witch could explain all of the built up metal around the fly wheel. Thanks Guys!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

pry if off with a screw driver, or clamp it down on a vise and just give it a good yank. It shouldnt be that hard.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Beenbreto
Anyone have any tricks to remove a clutch bell that wont come off? mine will move freely but wont come off, im almost sure that my inner bearin went out. Witch could explain all of the built up metal around the fly wheel. Thanks Guys!
Use a screwdriver to pry it off where you can see the space between the bell and flywheel. Same thing happen to me a few months ago.

How have you been lately in Germany?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

yeah i tried all of those things but no luck. Well i havnt put it in a vise yet becasue i dont have one of those in my room lol. But ill take it to work tomorrow.

Chris,

Germany is cool so far. just working and somewhat training. Hows the track doing? cant wait to get back. Should be back in mid AUG So ill be there to put some laps down with you and hopefully i can get my second roller up so we can go head to head on the truggys. lol My old man tells me that there is a good show up on wensday nights good stuff. Are you still doing the JBRL?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Spray

Spray some wd40 on it and let it sit, then try. Sometimes it gets a bit rusty. I usually put a dab of grease on the crank so it won't get stuck on there.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Beenbreto
yeah i tried all of those things but no luck. Well i havnt put it in a vise yet becasue i dont have one of those in my room lol. But ill take it to work tomorrow.

Chris,

Germany is cool so far. just working and somewhat training. Hows the track doing? cant wait to get back. Should be back in mid AUG So ill be there to put some laps down with you and hopefully i can get my second roller up so we can go head to head on the truggys. lol My old man tells me that there is a good show up on wensday nights good stuff. Are you still doing the JBRL?
Good to hear. There is consistently about 10 people each day since we went to new hours, its Wed and Saturday 5-8p, and Friday 5-9pm. No, I haven't raced in a while but I will soon.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by merdith6
Spray some wd40 on it and let it sit, then try. Sometimes it gets a bit rusty. I usually put a dab of grease on the crank so it won't get stuck on there.
wow. you must let yours sit a long time. I am taking mine off every time i run my car it seems.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

+1 on too long! i check mine after each race day. inspect shoes, springs, bearings, etc.

just have to get after it with a screwdriver and pry it off. if you can get a screwdrivwer under each side that may help.

good luck
Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Default clutch bell rubbing

So i have a custom integy 49t spur gear which is rubbing against my 15t high performance clutch bell on my HPI Savage. I tried moving the engine mount back a bit so that doesn't happen. I have moved it back as far as i can. It's not a stock engine, Axial 0.28. Anyone know any other solutions ? I tried adding an extra washer to the spur gear / cb to make sure it's tighter. This doesn't work as the cb will always move when it's at idle. Any other solutions ?
Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (88%+)

Originally Posted by dmakrc
So i have a custom integy 49t spur gear which is rubbing against my 15t high performance clutch bell on my HPI Savage. I tried moving the engine mount back a bit so that doesn't happen. I have moved it back as far as i can. It's not a stock engine, Axial 0.28. Anyone know any other solutions ? I tried adding an extra washer to the spur gear / cb to make sure it's tighter. This doesn't work as the cb will always move when it's at idle. Any other solutions ?
-1 for hijacking lol

on another note a buddy of mine had a clutch bell get stuck on him a couple of weeks ago, hit it with a head gun get it good and hot, i mean hot and it should come right off.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by carlam
-1 for hijacking lol

on another note a buddy of mine had a clutch bell get stuck on him a couple of weeks ago, hit it with a head gun get it good and hot, i mean hot and it should come right off.
whats a head gun? i think he means heat gun
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Tricks for Clutch bell

When in doubt-replace the bearings
When in doubt-replace the clutchbell

Their are you tricks

No seriously-that is how i was taught
Old 06-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Default No

Originally Posted by dreaux
wow. you must let yours sit a long time. I am taking mine off every time i run my car it seems.
I just live 10 minutes from the Texas coast, and everything rusts really fast here. I bring my buggy inside, but it's worse when we race at night. Like 500 percent humidity at sea level. Makes tuning tough sometimes. I work on other peoples cars too so i run into all types of stuff.

Last edited by merdith6; 06-16-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Loctite tends to work its way in between the inner race of the bearing and the crank itself and basically LOCKING the bearing in place.

2 Flat head screw driver's on either side of the bell will Easily remove a stuck bell or at least get it up off the flywheel enough to get a good grip on it.

Grease on the crank shaft is IMO not a wise idea.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Integra
Loctite tends to work its way in between the inner race of the bearing and the crank itself and basically LOCKING the bearing in place.

2 Flat head screw driver's on either side of the bell will Easily remove a stuck bell or at least get it up off the flywheel enough to get a good grip on it.

Grease on the crank shaft is IMO not a wise idea.
Your probably right on the grease.

I don't use locktight. I just grab the flywheel with some pliers, gently, and turn the 2.5mm head on the 3mm screw tighter than just holding the flywheel by hand, works every time. You can also use those cap head washers for a precise fit and longer bearing life.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Washer-Blue-6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.