Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THREE OPTIONS [PLEASE HELP]

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Where in SA are you ???
Popular cars with the best support is Losi and Caster in KZN.
Up in JHB the popular cars are Hong Nor, AE, Haboa which are supported ok.
There are other brands but support is questionable.

I can suggest the Caster 1.5R and its just as good as any cars running and is currently leading the KZN regional championship, so its capable.

email me and i can give you more info.
razzor@wbs dot co dot za
Old 06-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
The Losi is expensive as compared to what? Lets do the math.

Kyosho MP9 $769
Xray 808 $639
Losi 2.0B $529
Mugen MBX6 $529
AE RC8B $519
HB D8 $329

I guess I missed the expensive part of all the Race Worthy Buggies it's in the middle or the bottom depending how you look at it. If you take any Buggy out the box and expect it to be set for your driving style. Then this hobby is not for you!
X2

i actually thought the 8b 2.0 was very nice outta the box. i changed very little, i run the thunder alley set up(adam drake) and i like it a lot, im gettin traction roll right now but not huge just change camber and ill be set. now my 8t 2.0 on the other hand ive changed the rear oil from 30 to 32.5 and thats ALL i changed . losi has came out with great cars,very competitive outta the box.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I feel like with Losi you will also purchase the best customer service. Well, I see you are overseas but they still should have a great customer service program like here in the states.

The losi is a very stable buggy and is not a drift car or some sliding machine. OUt of the box it will take a few tanks to break in meaning the drivetrain will have to wear in creating some friction. During this time it will feel aggressive and somewhat loose, maybe in a sense like it is on top of the track. But after a few tank this all starts to calm down and settle in.

I have a small business I started recently called the Speed Shop. We do race preps on buggies and Truggies, or anything for that matter. We also build kits so I get to see a lot. Even though I run a losi I think it is a very solid car. It is very durable and the most often part that needs replaces is the front center drive shaft after maybe 2 gallons or so. Like anything, maintain it and it will last you a long time with minimal upkeep.

www.carolinasrc.com also has great deals on the losi 2.0. I'll see if I can find the code but I think you can get it around $490-$500. they ship a lot out of country and I have heard shipping has been good with that.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have about 2 gallons on my 2.0 and I cant imagine a buggy being more easy to drive. Maybe its the way I drive anyway. I tend to roll into the turns and not drive thru them. It will turn on a dime straight out of the box. The only thing I have changed is the shock oil. 50wt front / 35wt rear. Everything else is the same. I couldn't be happier, well, I guess I can when I get my 8t 2.0, its next on the short list for me. I have always ran electric offroad using all associated stuff but now it will be hard for me to go back. Im not !!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4THEb7FhE

The above link is my very first run ever with a losi "1.0", as you can see even on a loose track it's very stable and does not slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWDqTCe-YzY

THe above is one of my first runs before the worlds w ith the all new 2.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXNtaE7h3kg

2008 IFMAR Worlds, started 4th in this final...

and the last one is one of my favorites of Casey Peck on a high bite track indoors. But If you check out the vids the first two tracks are very loose tracks, the worlds layout is medium traction, and the last video is a high bite. To be fastest on high bite tracks the cars need to be a little free...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQ-p9YpKTg
Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

awesome vids alan.....PS way to kick butt at the farm.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
The Losi is expensive as compared to what? Lets do the math.

Kyosho MP9 $769
Xray 808 $639
Losi 2.0B $529
Mugen MBX6 $529
AE RC8B $519
HB D8 $329

I guess I missed the expensive part of all the Race Worthy Buggies it's in the middle or the bottom depending how you look at it. If you take any Buggy out the box and expect it to be set for your driving style. Then this hobby is not for you!
This comparison can't work, because it doesn't factor in user experience, how quickly they'll wear out parts, the cost of maintenance, etc. You can pay ten dollars for something now, but if it costs you hundreds to keep it running, the 50 dollar item that stays together is cheaper in the long run.

I am pretty inexperienced and had a Losi 8ight 1.0. It couldn't stay together and as a result I spent more time at the track with a wrench in my hand than a remote. Now I run Xray and it stays together, in fact, it hurts to wrench on it, because the plastic is so strong.

Losi cars can stay together, and they are obviously capable. Just look at the results from any major race. They have the best parts support by far. The quality is their only problem. Good thing it's easy to get parts!

*Cue the confused Losi guys who never have problems*
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

This is an arguement you will get nothing but opinions -

I say LOSi - Hyper 9 just dont look good to me and the D* is cheap but ....
Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Semple
This comparison can't work, because it doesn't factor in user experience, how quickly they'll wear out parts, the cost of maintenance, etc. You can pay ten dollars for something now, but if it costs you hundreds to keep it running, the 50 dollar item that stays together is cheaper in the long run.

I am pretty inexperienced and had a Losi 8ight 1.0. It couldn't stay together and as a result I spent more time at the track with a wrench in my hand than a remote. Now I run Xray and it stays together, in fact, it hurts to wrench on it, because the plastic is so strong.

Losi cars can stay together, and they are obviously capable. Just look at the results from any major race. They have the best parts support by far. The quality is their only problem. Good thing it's easy to get parts!

You also can not compare something that is not also a current kit. But not to say you did not have issues. I'm sure like any new car(1.0) losi had some small growing pains at the start. But this could go on for days. I just think you can't say something about quality when you have not owned the current crop. In my opinion is a very good buggy. We have a lot of sportsman drivers who do well with them and very rarely break. But if one day they do break does that mean the quality is poor? It simply means said sportsman driver gave it some rough treatment. I have a pretty simple routine and never have undeserving failures. Most people do very little preventive maintnance, or any at all for that matter.

Have you broken your xray>? Is this going to cue the "xray" guy who has never broken a part? In most cases "quality" is only as good as the person who turns the wrench.

I work on a lot of Losi cars for customers(see the speed shop thread), we also get in mugens, duratrax, kyosho, you name it....

In most cases "quality" is not an issue within the top 3-4 brands.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple

Seeing as how you cued me let me chime in on cue.

1st if you actually read the post he was asking cost of kits. Not opinions of people who owned kits and quality and so forth (the usual bandwagon stuff). I gave a break down of kit cost. I'm not sponsored and drive what I want when I want.

Has it ever occurred to you or anyone else. That the car you drive and have so much success with has more to do with. The fact it fits your driving style. Kinda like in golf when you finally find the right clubs that fit your game. There was nothing wrong with the clubs or car you drove prior. They or it just did not fit your driving style.

I mean really are you that naive that you believe. Losi has stayed in business (the racing business at that) putting out garbage. All the above mentioned cars in my previous post except HB have a proven track record of success. Oh and yes I know HB won the worlds I was there its my home track so I know. Track record means years of success.

Your rhetoric is worse than that of Kyosho drivers. It's not how much you pay. What it is though is did you pay for the kit that fits you. It's funny how every time a new kits comes out everyone runs screaming its the best thin since sliced bread. 4 months later the there's a ton of them used in the for sale section.

The guy asked a simple question stick with a simple answer. Talk about cuing the confused losi drivers. What does that make you. Your spouting the same non sense as I hear every manufacture fan boy spout. Try being a RC'er and just acknowledge this is a fun hobby and success can be had with practically any make or model if you can learn to drive.

Now that you got your beloved 808 and are so successful with. I guess your going to try and tell us. That you never get whooped by any other make other than X-ray NOT! Truth is every car gets beat by every other car. The only difference is the driver.

Keywords in your post "I am pretty inexperienced and had a Losi 8ight 1.0". Is it remotely possible it was your inexperience?