Wiki Posts
Search

vspec front bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default vspec front bearing

i have a leaking front bearing on my vspec. would this cause the engine not to b able to idol? i'm goin to change the bearing. what i want to know what is the best method to change it and can it b done without special tool?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
i have a leaking front bearing on my vspec. would this cause the engine not to b able to idol? i'm goin to change the bearing. what i want to know what is the best method to change it and can it b done without special tool?
I leaky engine bearing will deffinately cause the engine to run eratically.

The best method of removing it without a special tool is to use a heat gun and heat the engine block to about 250° F then it should slide out.

I also heard of guys placing them in there kitchen oven and heating it to 250° F.

Just don't let the wife know! lol
Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JW91
I leaky engine bearing will deffinately cause the engine to run eratically.

The best method of removing it without a special tool is to use a heat gun and heat the engine block to about 250° F then it should slide out.

I also heard of guys placing them in there kitchen oven and heating it to 250° F.

Just don't let the wife know! lol
no wife but my sister (my roommate) may get mad. she was pissed that i was boilin tires to remove them from the rims
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If the engine is running smoothly at higher RPM and isn't making any weird noises then it's possible that your engine won't idle for the same reason that the bearing is leaking. Your LSN setting may be way too rich. Try leaning the LSN significantly (may need to reduce the carb's idle gap too) to see if you can get the idle better. If the idle improves with this then I bet the leaking goes away. Front bearing seals aren't air or water (oil) tight and if there's a bunch of extra oil in the crank case then it will come out the front bearing, even if it's new.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Using the engine tool is the easiest, but it can be done with a little heat, heat gun or oven.

Here is a youtube video. Hope this helps.

PART 1

PART 2
Old 06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
If the engine is running smoothly at higher RPM and isn't making any weird noises then it's possible that your engine won't idle for the same reason that the bearing is leaking. Your LSN setting may be way too rich. Try leaning the LSN significantly (may need to reduce the carb's idle gap too) to see if you can get the idle better. If the idle improves with this then I bet the leaking goes away. Front bearing seals aren't air or water (oil) tight and if there's a bunch of extra oil in the crank case then it will come out the front bearing, even if it's new.
it always leaked even from new. it leaking pretty bad now. i tried reseting all the needles. it will only stay runnin if i hold the throtle open.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Great videos - I used the oven method for my V-Spec - worked like a charm ..

Make sure to remove the car piston sleeve crank shaft also in the V-Spec remove the carb barrel retainer. Its the plastic tub that seals the carb in the block. If you can't get it out then make sure you get the gasket at the bottom out and leave it sleeve in. I left mine in. I left mine in at 275 for 10 minutes and then it slid right out with a wooden dowel. And ohh, be careful when you get it hot the first time if you can get the rear bearing out it will fall out when you get a little heat on it ... and make sure you note the direction of the rear bearing if you plan to re-use it. Personally, I would replace them both.

Also, the next time you remove tires, bake them in the oven for 15 minutes @ 300 get an old pair of mitts and break the beads fresh from the oven. You can have all 4 broke free in 30 minutes.

Take you time on the engine and you'll be fine.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by offr0aden
Great videos - I used the oven method for my V-Spec - worked like a charm ..

Make sure to remove the car piston sleeve crank shaft also in the V-Spec remove the carb barrel retainer. Its the plastic tub that seals the carb in the block. If you can't get it out then make sure you get the gasket at the bottom out and leave it sleeve in. I left mine in. I left mine in at 275 for 10 minutes and then it slid right out with a wooden dowel. And ohh, be careful when you get it hot the first time if you can get the rear bearing out it will fall out when you get a little heat on it ... and make sure you note the direction of the rear bearing if you plan to re-use it. Personally, I would replace them both.

Also, the next time you remove tires, bake them in the oven for 15 minutes @ 300 get an old pair of mitts and break the beads fresh from the oven. You can have all 4 broke free in 30 minutes.

Take you time on the engine and you'll be fine.
i plan on changing them both. i was just wondering if this would cause my idoling issue, if it didnt i wasnt goin to bother with changing them. oh and i tried the baking method and didnt work for me boilin them for 15 min and they broke rite off the rim.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
it always leaked even from new. it leaking pretty bad now. i tried reseting all the needles. it will only stay runnin if i hold the throtle open.
If the bearings are still smooth, get the tune in the ball park before you decide to rebuild. If you've been having leaking since the beginning then you've probably had it set very rich all this time. Set the HSN to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from closed and the LSN flush with the slide housing and go from there.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Davidka
If the bearings are still smooth, get the tune in the ball park before you decide to rebuild. If you've been having leaking since the beginning then you've probably had it set very rich all this time. Set the HSN to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 turns out from closed and the LSN flush with the slide housing and go from there.
yes it has always leaked from the beginning but just yesterday started to leak real bad. i mean i thought the fuel line had a hole leaking. replaced all the line thats when i found the bearing leak.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Eariler V-Spec motors had bearing seal issues. Its not uncommon to have a bad front bearing right out of the box.

They fixed the issue so there isn't anything to worry about with the newer motors.