Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What should I upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default What should I upgrade?

I just bought an OFNA Hyper 8 with Hyper 8.5 upgrade kit. I'm looking for something that will give it better performance, but that's not too expensive. Preferably something (or things) under $75. New servos? A arms? Resonator? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the OFNA Hyper 8.5 so I don't know what its strong and weak points are.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What kind of running equipment are you using? I good steering servo will help, along with tires for the price you are going with. Also, what motor and pipe are you using cause you may be already using a good motor/pipe combo.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The best thing you can do is build yourself a nice collection of tires, they are the most important part of any setup, and many people focus on hopping up their chassis and forget the most obvious performance item, it's all about tires bro.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sokar
I just bought an OFNA Hyper 8 with Hyper 8.5 upgrade kit. I'm looking for something that will give it better performance, but that's not too expensive. Preferably something (or things) under $75. New servos? A arms? Resonator? I'm pretty unfamiliar with the OFNA Hyper 8.5 so I don't know what its strong and weak points are.
Sell it and get a losi. JK. I would say high torque servos are a must. Check the diffs for fluid not grease the fluid should be replaced anyway. Change the shock oil and get a good set of either aka cityblocks or proline caliber tires. Main thing is to go through it and make sure th bearings and all parts function well. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000
What kind of running equipment are you using? I good steering servo will help, along with tires for the price you are going with. Also, what motor and pipe are you using cause you may be already using a good motor/pipe combo.
It comes with HoBao 1/8th Scale Dish Wheels, and the engine is a Macstar .28. I don't know what kind of tune pipe it comes with. What will new wheels do for me? What kind of wheels should I get?

I also don't know anything about the Macstar .28 as an engine. Is it any good?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

I've heard the Macstar .28 can only perform at dangerously high temperatures. Should I buy a new cooling head?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I've heard the Macstar .28 can only perform at dangerously high temperatures. Should I buy a new cooling head?
If you are goi g to race it you need a .21. And I don't think a different cooling head will help much. If you are going to run the macstar then just deal with it till it blows and then replace it with a .21 the nova bf2100 is a decent engine that will only set you back 150 or so.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

I agree that you shouldn't buy another head for the macstar motor. Another thing is that you wont in most cases be allowed to race with that motor. I'd save your money at this point cause any tire will do at this time. Just learn to drive for now. And tires wont make you any faster either. I'd save your money for now and put that toward a race legal motor. The novarossi bf motor is a good deal for the amount of money you will spend. A digital servo would also be good. I saw Tower Hobbies had a Futaba BLS servo on sale for $75. That's also be a good deal for the amount you wanted to spend. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Adept

There are no race tracks even remotely close to me, so this is for fun at the local field and bashing only, with the occasional race with my friend's jato 3.3. I'm not concerned with race legal, but I'll probably get a .21 engine if my .28 decides to blow.

Could I get a decent servo set for $75? Will that Futaba be better than the RTR servo it comes with?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Okay, it this is a rtr, then a rechargeable receiver battery would be good along with a charger. That should run around 75 bucks or so. The MRC super brain charger that is ac/dc powered is a great starter charger and for the price you can't go wrong. A rechargeable receiver pack is another great thing to get. It will make your servos a little faster, but save you some money by not having to buy batteries as often for your vehicle. The battery and charger should run you around 75 or a little more. After that, a better radio and servo would be something you'd want to look at. But for now, the battery and charger would be your best bet. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Okay, it this is a rtr, then a rechargeable receiver battery would be good along with a charger. That should run around 75 bucks or so. The MRC super brain charger that is ac/dc powered is a great starter charger and for the price you can't go wrong. A rechargeable receiver pack is another great thing to get. It will make your servos a little faster, but save you some money by not having to buy batteries as often for your vehicle. The battery and charger should run you around 75 or a little more. After that, a better radio and servo would be something you'd want to look at. But for now, the battery and charger would be your best bet. Good luck.
I'm good. I already have rechargeable AAs.

What will a better radio give me? Range?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

There are no race tracks even remotely close to me, so this is for fun at the local field and bashing only, with the occasional race with my friend's jato 3.3. I'm not concerned with race legal, but I'll probably get a .21 engine if my .28 decides to blow.

Could I get a decent servo set for $75? Will that Futaba be better than the RTR servo it comes with?

Dont skimp on servo's....you'll pay for it later......75$ would not be enough for a Bomb proof servo that will last you Year's to come.....100-120$ will tho.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

What kind of receiver pack are you running? Is it 4 or 5 cells? Also, towerhobbies no longer has that sale going on for servos. Most good servos will run you a little over a hundred each. Since it sounds like you don't have a race track nearby or hobby shop either, then I would package a few things and get them from amain hobbies. They have discount coupons and free shipping for over 100 spent per order. This will help lower the costs of things you buy.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
Dont skimp on servo's....you'll pay for it later......75$ would not be enough for a Bomb proof servo that will last you Year's to come.....100-120$ will tho.
Well, I dunno. I went 6 years with stock servos on my T Maxx with not one problem. Sure, the steering wasn't extremely snappy, but I got by fine.

Why do I need "bomb proof" servos other than more torque?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

What kind of receiver pack are you running? Is it 4 or 5 cells? Also, towerhobbies no longer has that sale going on for servos. Most good servos will run you a little over a hundred each. Since it sounds like you don't have a race track nearby or hobby shop either, then I would package a few things and get them from amain hobbies. They have discount coupons and free shipping for over 100 spent per order. This will help lower the costs of things you buy.
I have plenty of hobby shops. Just no tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.