High Downforce Wings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Downforce Wings

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

JConcepts.. my have had a fair few Proline ones.. all been warped when got.. so not happy.. but JConcepts one is alot stronger and imo looks better
Old 05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I dont like the high downforce wing just because they look so "ricey" I also cant tell the difference in performance between the two so I run the wings I think look better.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Out of all the wings mentioned, I like the Himoto V2 the best.
I have never had one warp, crack or break.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Go take a look at an airplane wing. See the curve on the top, SMOOTHLY transitioned to the leading edge? The UPPER surface of the wing produces the lift, not the lower. (ok, they both produce some, but the curve of the upper surface produces most of the lift.)

Now look at a "high downforce" wing. Flip it over. See the lip along the front? That disrupts the airflow. (Regular wings have that too.)

A regular wing without the lip would probably produce as much or more lift than a high downforce one.

Do they help? Perhaps... but they have more in common with a parachute than a wing.
You are correct. The wings that we use on R/C Cars do not use the bernoulli effect to create downforce like wings on full size cars do. The reason for this is because you can scale down the wing size, but you can't scale down the size of air molecules along with that wing. Air stays at the same density it does for full size wings, but now the size of the wing is so small and the speed is so low that there isn't enough pressure generated to create any usable downforce. This is why R/C wings are so huge in scale terms, they have to displace an enormous amount of air to create usable downforce. Think of it this way; for an R/C wing to work the same way a full size wing does the air your R/C car would have to traveling though would have to be as thick and heavy as water.

Bernoulli effect type wings have been tried before and they don't work. The drag type wings we use do work though, and since R/C cars are so overpowered the extra drag really isn't an issue.

Anyway, to the OP: The Pro-line HD wing is also very strong. I've heard that the Himoto wing was actually wind tunnel tested. There was a big controversy over it before the 06 worlds, in the end it was deemed to be legal.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Akhor
Hey,

Currently I'm running the OFNA highdown force wing. It works great however the durability is extremely low. (yes I'm not a pro driver). A few flips and it always has stress cracks after a single race. I also like it because it comes in a high visibility Orange color.

Are there any other (ie J Concepts) high down force wings that have better durability then this one? And maybe come in Orange as well!

I know the original 8ight wing is super durable and I've never encounted this issue with it.. Of course it's not a high downforce one.
Try the cobra wing it is very strong and not as big as others so hardly any weight at the chord being 76mm and super strong high down force but minimum drag so you will go fast especially through sweapers and jumps.

Give this gentlmen a call and if your willing to pay the postage he will send you out a wing free of charge .Black ,fluro yellow or white

mobile +18432414856 usa

His name is ed roberts

here is a photo of the wing

regards ANgelo
Attached Thumbnails High Downforce Wings-yellow-wing.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

No Thanks. Even for free.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rageworks
Unnecessary

I don't know Cobra's products from any other but they are offering a sample of their product for free and in todays economy that is a brave and bold move that shows confidence in what you are doing. To then shot them down with out explanation is pretty weak and cowardly.

I am not getting one but that is out of laziness.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
so im looking at two wings one jc hd one AE rc8 wing the jc wing has a
big lip on the front edge the AE wing don't have a lip and i do notice
i think that my car was slower with the jc wing but was thinking that
my tune was off on the fat side so what if i was to grind the lip off
my be any thoughts or just go back to the AE wing

Hmmmm... that lip is there to add strength... removing it would make the wing more aerodynamically correct, but weaken it significantly. Up to you.

Yes, the AE wing is much closer to a proper aerodynamic wing design. Too bad I can't get it without the factory holes, or I would run one... not that I really care about the aerodynamics of my '56 Ford "brick" body truck.

I use the JConcepts wing, just because of durability, and I think it looks good.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

I'm not sure what brought that on... maybe the whole situation with Charlie? Were you involved with that?

I was... and yes, Charlie got almost $200 of my money, and I never saw anything from it. However, you can't REALLY fault Angelo for that. He seems to me like a pretty stand-up guy.

And this is also one of the few wings that is of a relatively proper aerodynamic shape.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by WheelNut
You are correct. The wings that we use on R/C Cars do not use the bernoulli effect to create downforce like wings on full size cars do. The reason for this is because you can scale down the wing size, but you can't scale down the size of air molecules along with that wing. Air stays at the same density it does for full size wings, but now the size of the wing is so small and the speed is so low that there isn't enough pressure generated to create any usable downforce. This is why R/C wings are so huge in scale terms, they have to displace an enormous amount of air to create usable downforce. Think of it this way; for an R/C wing to work the same way a full size wing does the air your R/C car would have to traveling though would have to be as thick and heavy as water.

Bernoulli effect type wings have been tried before and they don't work. The drag type wings we use do work though, and since R/C cars are so overpowered the extra drag really isn't an issue.

Anyway, to the OP: The Pro-line HD wing is also very strong. I've heard that the Himoto wing was actually wind tunnel tested. There was a big controversy over it before the 06 worlds, in the end it was deemed to be legal.

While it is true that the Reynolds Number of an RC car wing is very low... the effect is still there. A more pronounced camber on the lower surface would both increase the downforce AND make it stronger... of course the wing would have to be hollow or have a lightweight core to not be ludicrously heavy.

A place to start on airfoils are the ones used on smaller scale RC aircraft.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I'm not sure what brought that on... maybe the whole situation with Charlie? Were you involved with that?

I was... and yes, Charlie got almost $200 of my money, and I never saw anything from it. However, you can't REALLY fault Angelo for that. He seems to me like a pretty stand-up guy.

And this is also one of the few wings that is of a relatively proper aerodynamic shape.
Thanks brad for your support and im sorry for what has happened with charlie because of what had happened i sent out free wings to ed roberts to send out to the guys as a good gesture from me even though what charlie did had nothing to do with me but i felt sorry for the guys and im trying to do even more soon for them and again it was never my fault but thats just the guy i am i believe in my product and would do anything for anyone to help them in time of need maybe thats why im not rich but im happy and thats all that matters .

You will get some people putting me down but that doesnt matter as you cannot please everyone and those people only know one side of every story .

But yes you are correct as you said about the lip distrurbing the airflow on the leading edge and trailing edge but as you know we rectify that problem on the trailing edge with our aero fins which cut the air once again and the trailing edge channels that release the flow reducing the drag .

anyway thank you once again for your support brad and everyone else who believes in my products it really means alot sincerly.

regards Angelo
Old 05-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Im deeply sorry you feel that way but if i have done something wrong to you please write me an email so we can discuss things further on what i did to you and how we can fix it and move on whoever you are .

take care freind

regards Angelo
Old 05-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

The best High Downforce wings I have tried are VP Pro wings.

www.VP-Pro-USA.com

Try it out, you won't be dissappointed.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Machine's R/C H
The best High Downforce wings I have tried are VP Pro wings.

www.VP-Pro-USA.com

Try it out, you won't be dissappointed.

Looks exactly like the OFNA wing.. I doubt it would standup.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Saw this thread on Friday, but thought I would test out the Cobra Racing wings and proline HD ones before posting.
I first bought a TCR one as it looked interesting whilst ordering stuff from amain (I am in the UK). I really liked the way it calmed down the rear end and helped during flight, but the plastic was a too brittle with not enough flex in it to withstand any major tumbles. So I changed back to the Proline ones, and it was completely different, with the back end stepping out and everything. So we looked for some more TCR wings, but amain didn't stock them anymore, so we bought 6 from eBay. I have boiled these ones, and apart from the odd imperfection, I have only broken 1 in about 5months of running (the winter was exceptionally cold here).

Also, my Dad works in F1 so took both the Proline, and TCR wings into work, and asked the aerodynamicists which was better, and they immediately said the TCR one. Just a pointer, that to get superior down force, the two elements must overlap about 4mm, and there should be a gurney flap at 90degrees to the top or the wing, pointing towards the front of the car. This will increase drag slightly but will allow a LOT more down force. Plus the parts that stick up in along the length of the wing (not sure what they are called) should be full height, to give more cornering stability.

I am weary that if I get comfortable with the TCR wings that when I have to return to Proline, I will not be happy with it. My only qualm is that the plastic needs to be more flexible.

Is TCR distributed to the UK? Or is it solely America. If just America, then I think you should consider exporting to the UK, as many people look at mine, and ask where I got it from, and are interested in it due to it's radical looks.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.