Search

I'm Not Dreaux but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Red face I'm Not Dreaux but....

one can only inspire.

I am thinking about going Lipo and not having experience in the electrical side of the hobby I was wondering if there were any links that you guys could suggest that would let me know what is what with Lipo.

Also any guidelines for charging period as I am unsure about discharging and cycling.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I mean this with all due respect..did you try posting on the Electric Off road forum?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

No I was thinking of Nitro rec packs and starter boxes and just never thought about electric off road.

I will try there.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

My bad..I didn't know you meant Lipo RX packs..I'm sure you will get enough answers right here in Nitro..I run NiMH so I cant really help
Old 05-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Adept

So do I. I am just curious to the benefits and draw backs of Lipo. PLus 2S and 4S and all the other little s's are confusing when looking in from the outside.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Unless you get LiPo rated servos, you'll need a regulator for them, or they could burn out.

And you don't want to go any more than 2S for your RX pack.

The downsides, other than needing a LiPo specific charger, are only that you can't run the battery dead... So it's a good idea to bump charge between runs, or get something like the Loud Obnoxious Alarm, so you know when your RX is getting low.

Starter box... 3 - 4S will work great... That's 3 - 4 cells in series... 11.1 - 14.8 volts...

I don't have a starter box yet, so I haven't done much digging into what capacities and C ratings work best.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

I got tired of buying those humppacks right and left and a friend suggested that I try lipo. I was hesitant to try it because I needed help with the regulator and then I did not have room in my battery/ radio box for everythingand I did not have the right charger. Well I decided to mount my lipo outside the box and was lucky enough to find a size that would fit on the right side of my chassis , I think it might be called a splash guard, any way I already ran hitec 7955 servos on both steering and throttle. So I mounted my battery w/ shoo goo and have never once had it come loose I originally ran a regulator but decided to try it unregulated and it runs great. Get a BC6 charger and get someone at the track to show you how and when to charge and your life will change!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
So I mounted my battery w/ shoo goo
Can you remove the battery Joey? I'd hate to see it catch on fire glued to your box..

I had a battery start to smoke on me, and just as I was dumping it out on the ground, it burst into flames...if it was glued in there It would have melted my whole buggy!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

If it's shoe-goo'd on there... It's not coming off, without taking off the splash guard...

Hopefully it doesn't get hit there!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

I hope it never does catch fire. I have it mounted near the right side just behind the front wheel. I will wet myself laughing if it does catch fire, I do disconnect it when it is not being operated as I do not use an on/off switch. Dam, now I am worried a little bit because everything has been going too smooth.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

If it's on the splash guard, and something goes wrong... at least you can break the splash guard

Don't stress too much
Old 05-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Lord

Get the battery out and shoe goo the battery to a plastic stand. then bolt the stand to the Mud guard

You'll get 20-30 seconds of smoke before it blows, then you may be able to unscrew it first
Old 05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

I was thinking more of a stomp/yank/run method

But the box idea is definitely better
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

starter boxes use 4 cell's NOT 3 cell's....you are under powering the box with a 3 cell No doubt.....as per servo's Blowing up Not soo much.....there have been many user's who have used lower end Futaba's Hitec's and JR's unregulated without issues....you just have to hit up every one of these type thread's and you'll see the posts...As per C rating's you dont need much for the Rx as you aren't drawing massive amount's of juice unlike the Starter box which IMO needs to be a minimum of 20C....the more C the more punch it will have is the simplest way i can think of saying it.

you can also go lipo in your radio which does not require a regulator unless you running a 4PK or DX3R/S as they use a smaller 6v pack.

Benefit's of a lipo would be you can run Almost All day on a single charge and not even think about charging......a 2000mah lipo will Easily go for 1.5+hrs of solid driving...i normally take 6-800 mah throughout a day of practice, quali's and some screwing around before and after the races.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
starter boxes use 4 cell's NOT 3 cell's....you are under powering the box with a 3 cell No doubt.....as per servo's Blowing up Not soo much.....there have been many user's who have used lower end Futaba's Hitec's and JR's unregulated without issues....you just have to hit up every one of these type thread's and you'll see the posts...As per C rating's you dont need much for the Rx as you aren't drawing massive amount's of juice unlike the Starter box which IMO needs to be a minimum of 20C....the more C the more punch it will have is the simplest way i can think of saying it.

you can also go lipo in your radio which does not require a regulator unless you running a 4PK or DX3R/S as they use a smaller 6v pack.

Benefit's of a lipo would be you can run Almost All day on a single charge and not even think about charging......a 2000mah lipo will Easily go for 1.5+hrs of solid driving...i normally take 6-800 mah throughout a day of practice, quali's and some screwing around before and after the races.
Big +1. My 900mah lasts all race day including practice.

I've been thinking about going unregulated but I don't want to end up with paper weights. Integra, do you think a 5955tg and a futaba bls-451 can go unregulated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.