Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Setup Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Setup Tools?

This is a subject which I've not seen a great deal of information about over the years despite all the setup information made available by drivers and manufacturers it's not much use if you don't know how to apply that information, so...

What Setup Tools do you use for your 1/8th buggy?

Care to recommend a list of essentials for newbies or VFM products?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hudy 1/8 setup station on my buggy, truggy and monster truck. Makes setup so much easier and keeping it even side to side. Before that I was using camber gauge and board to check toe very hard to get it right.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

camber gauge, ride height gauge, and tn setup station..
Old 10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I actually bought an Integy setup station... but it didnt have instructions, so I have NO clue how to make it work...like I get it all together and I put the gauge deal [the plastic plate with etched markings on it] on top...but nothing really lines up correctly, I dont know if you have toi slide it all the way to one side and check that corner, then slide it down to the opposite corner, idk

If anyone has any tips for using a setup station please post up! lol
Old 10-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Get the HUDY setup station and you won't need anything else...maybe a ride height gauge, but the station will be worth the cost after your first race set-up.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Allumina
I actually bought an Integy setup station... but it didnt have instructions, so I have NO clue how to make it work...like I get it all together and I put the gauge deal [the plastic plate with etched markings on it] on top...but nothing really lines up correctly, I dont know if you have toi slide it all the way to one side and check that corner, then slide it down to the opposite corner, idk

If anyone has any tips for using a setup station please post up! lol
The Hudy set-up station is the best I have used. Allumina, yes, you slide the gauge to one side, set the toe, and then slide the gauge to the other side and set that side.
Set the ride height first, then droop, camber (camber rise if needed), caster, then toe last. With the Losi, I set ride height, droop, camber and toe. You can't believe the difference it makes when everything is perfect. My car tracks as staright as an arrow down the straight. At our last race of the season, a few guys wanted to drive my buggy after racing was finished. Some had never driven the Losi. I sold it that night to a friend that had the TQ SX8. He drove it and bought it on the spot. Said he never had a car he could drive so hard, so easily. He even had a Losi before the TQ car. I bought his original car and sold it though. I got a new one. Another Losi driver said if his car was set up like mine, he would be way more consistant. They were asking what clutch set-up I was using, who did my motor, which suspension set-up it was. I was laughing to myself. It's the stock clutch with Dynamite shoes, stock P5XS Novarossi with the 086 pipe and the Mike Truhe set-up. It came off the Hudy board the night before with all the proper adjustments made. The only part that isn't funny is I can't drive it. I do much better with the truggy, although it is my first full year racing. Two classes is tough, I try and drive the buggy like the truggy and crash like a mad man until I settle down. My new 8ight 2.0 arrives Tuesday, I hope it is a little more forgiving for beginners.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just use a RPM camber gauge to set camber and toe and a ride height gauge. Keeps everything fairly in check. Make sure to balance your tires also.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by looneytune
The Hudy set-up station is the best I have used. Allumina, yes, you slide the gauge to one side, set the toe, and then slide the gauge to the other side and set that side.
Set the ride height first, then droop, camber (camber rise if needed), caster, then toe last. With the Losi, I set ride height, droop, camber and toe. You can't believe the difference it makes when everything is perfect. My car tracks as staright as an arrow down the straight. At our last race of the season, a few guys wanted to drive my buggy after racing was finished. Some had never driven the Losi. I sold it that night to a friend that had the TQ SX8. He drove it and bought it on the spot. Said he never had a car he could drive so hard, so easily. He even had a Losi before the TQ car. I bought his original car and sold it though. I got a new one. Another Losi driver said if his car was set up like mine, he would be way more consistant. They were asking what clutch set-up I was using, who did my motor, which suspension set-up it was. I was laughing to myself. It's the stock clutch with Dynamite shoes, stock P5XS Novarossi with the 086 pipe and the Mike Truhe set-up. It came off the Hudy board the night before with all the proper adjustments made. The only part that isn't funny is I can't drive it. I do much better with the truggy, although it is my first full year racing. Two classes is tough, I try and drive the buggy like the truggy and crash like a mad man until I settle down. My new 8ight 2.0 arrives Tuesday, I hope it is a little more forgiving for beginners.
Thanks for the post man that really helps. Looks like you jsut sold me on a Hudy setup too I feel you on the driving too haha, I buy lots of trick shit but I cant drive it to save my life
Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

A pop can, flat table, eyeball, and track time.
: )
How often do you guys with setup stations change your wheels and rod ends?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hudy 1/8 setup station is the best. i only wish it had a nice carrying case.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Is that a trick question? When I ran losi I changed rod ends about every third race til I gave up & washer capped them all & left the setup board in the drawer.Newest car 808 havent replaced them yet,may not have to for a long time. Set-up board on friday night is the only way to go when you have a quality car major time saver to make the car feel the same every time. Eye balling at the track is a waste of time except in emergency most rims dont stay straight long enough for a soda can on a unflat table to get you anything closer than generaly up & down-ish,& by the time$60 worth of tire wear tells you too much camber its kinda too late. But some people do have the knack for it & if it works for them more power to them.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twotan
Hudy 1/8 setup station is the best. i only wish it had a nice carrying case.
Yeah seriously, the 1/10 scale one comes with a padded aluminum case, WHATS THE DEAL HUDY, NO LOVE...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

With the hudy setup station drives straight rarely have to trim the steering. It's a night and day differents when you use the setup station.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
A pop can, flat table, eyeball, and track time.
: )
How often do you guys with setup stations change your wheels and rod ends?
I change the rod ends when they start to get really loose. The same guy that said he doesn't need a set-up station and he can do it by eye is the exact same guy that bought my Losi. Hmmmm, I think that's proof enough right there what a well set-up car will do. After all, he did say he never owned a car that drove like mine. Now somebody needs to teach me how to wheel it. I get tired of watching other people run my car on the track like Adam Drake's driving it and I can't keep 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hello

Hello from the uk... I need some help i have put my losi 8 on my hudy setup station put my 30mm droop blocks under the chassie and set the car up with 3 degrees of negitive camber on the rear and 1 degree of negitive camber on the front when i take it off the setup station and put the wheels on it just dose not look right i then put my camber on the wheel and only have 1 degree rear and about 0.5 on the front i have no slop as i changed all tie rods and new lower arms can anyone tell me where i have or am going wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.