Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric? >

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are people getting out of nitro and going to electric?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Long term they will kill you
Old 05-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
To me racing or even just driving a Nitro is NOT an option.

Honestly, how many off you nitro guys can start your engine, leave it running idle 3 minutes and then gun it over the strait?

Blipping your throttle true every corner to keep it running looks and sounds amaturistic.

NO torque is avaible were it is most needed, this is at 0 RPM to get the car off the line.

And the stupid noise, truelly awfull till you get the Nitro-headache from the fumes then it's BYBY. cant stand it.

Either that or completely butcher my grammar and spelling skills. :|
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gkn0315
both electric and nitro are cool my opinion
+2!
I have both....diff situration, diff truck, I have fun on them.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Dude, long term everything we do kills us. What do you think aging is? It's our body slowly being worn out over decades long exposure to everything from cellular phone signals to too much KFC and pootang.

You're gonna go anyway, go out doing what you like.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

thats standard myth that electric is more expensive than nitro. intitial purchase maybe, but over couple years nitro gets way more expensive.

just a quick math - $160 pack that will last 20minutes per charge and 100cycles = 33h runtime

lets say 1 25$ gallon of fuel will last 4 hours = 8.25 gallons for 33hourse = $206 for same amount of runtime

I use $90packs that give me 15minute runtime and will last abiout 80 cycles = $130 in fuel

and nitro cars have more parts that wear fast like clutches (unless u run clutch in E of course )nitro engine does not last as long as electric, glow plugs, pipe gaskets, air filters and list goes on.

I spend way more money on nitro racing than on electric. enjoy both
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I love nitro's, I can always count on a few flaming out or running out of fuel during the combined electric/nitro main's I race in.

On a more serious note, I think both are great for the sport and shouldn't be classified really in the same class. Electrics have an almost unfair advantage when it comes to jumping and acceleration, example,I have a section at my house, double then a tabletop, only when a nitro gets a good run out of the corner at it can they land on top of the table, with the electric I could stop coming out of the corner, get back on it and still land on the table with room to spare. A nitro just doesn't have it out of the hole. On the other hand, the nitro's smell and noise is something that really gets your blood pumping! Also in a 20+ minute race, no electric is going to go the distance with out a battery change which is a chore. All in all, at the end of the day you either hate one or love one........
Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For me at the moment electric is what I am finding funner. I have just sold my nitro's, but that was just because I wanted to try something different. Not because I didn't like wrenching or tuning. I personally love the sound and smell of nitro and miss that with my electric.

The torque of the electric is just jaw dropping and nitro's can't beat the electric in that department. Speed they are about the same at our track because they are all geared for around 38mph. The electric run time only becomes a problem when running the 20+ min Mains. But of course you could always come in for a battery swap but that can take alot of time. If you are running an all electric field, it's not that big of a deal. But running with the nitro's, thats where they get a big advantage. For our club races the electrics have a big advantage, they only have to come in for mandatory pit stop that only lasts a second. The mains are 15min, so the electrics finish without a problem. In the end, both have there positives and negatives. As of now, I am enjoying my electrics without a doubt, but nitro will always hold a place in my heart.

The last race at our club. The electric vehicles took 2 out of the 3 classes (Truggy and Monster Truck). Not to mention there are far fewer electrics then nitro's.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

During the summer months nothing beats racing nitro outdoors. Just way more events to attend for nitro.....with allot more competition than electric.

During the winter months racing electric at indoor tracks is where it's at...Less headaches running in the cold and the competition picks up for electric.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly, how many off you nitro guys can start your engine, leave it running idle 3 minutes and then gun it over the strait?

Blipping your throttle true every corner to keep it running looks and sounds amaturistic.

NO torque is avaible were it is most needed, this is at 0 RPM to get the car off the line.

And the stupid noise, truelly awfull till you get the Nitro-headache from the fumes then it's BYBY. cant stand it.
amaturistic? are you kidding me. it attracts people to watch and wonder, they look awesome, and sound awesome. and as for the engine comment, why would that be needed anyways?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

E cars do have more torque and well I think that its a nominal number on which is more cost effective to run. I just cant see how E cars are cheaper - anyway, what gets me about nitro cars is when it just works right, the tune is perfect, the car does not DNF or flame out because you took the time to do things right. The pleasure for me in nitro is just this when it all comes together the skill and knowledge of how to make that happen takes time, patience and practice, but when you get it right the feeling is exceptional. I just dont think I would get the same experience out of an E car. So I will stay nitro I cant imagine that they will ever go away. May be in the future it will be reversed more E cars and just a couple nitro cars who knows, this hobby comes and goes in waves - time will tell. Either way whatever it is that brings you pleasure is the way to go. Both E and nitro cars have advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion the bottom line was put best by a race director at a local club race - "These are toy cars and we are grown men playing with toy cars so if you are not having fun go back to your pit pack it up and go home."
Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

In my area all(lot's/most) the electric guys went nitro
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think that they both have their place; one isn't necessarily better than the other, and I don't see why they can't coexist.

I used to be into 1/10 electric buggies back in the 80s. It was alright and I don't bemoan the experience; it's quiet and clean, which can be a plus if you're running in a mostly residential area, or indoors, which I would NEVER do with nitro, I don't care how "state-of-the-art" their ventilation system is.

That having been said, once I was exposed to the sound and smell of nitro, it was like I was seeing colors I could never see before. It's messier and a lot more technical and challenging than electric... And that's why I adore it; it requires more skill and patience, plus, you've got that awesome shreiking banshee sound that electrics don't.

Heck, to me, that's the one big detriment with electric: you can have the most sophisticated, stat-of-the-art car on earth... And it sounds exactly like the cheapest Radio Shack toy
Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

funny, my buddy and I where just running an electric race and suddenly a lipo car on track catches fire, flames smoke everywhere, man THE STINK

We were joking about wishing for the nitro smell

Old 05-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if i needed more family time = electric
if i got alot of free time = nitro

generally nitro needs more 'tender loving care'... thus taking up precious family time to me...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

. .... i love the smell,the sound and before i start racing for the day ill burn a electric car as a offering to the nitro gods!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.