R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Stuck screw (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/296576-stuck-screw.html)

beginner4life 05-12-2009 01:27 PM

Stuck screw

Hey guys, the engine mount screws(the ones from the mount to chasis) on my RC8T are really tight. I got two of them loose but the other two i can not get. It is not my strength because the allen driver( screw driver type) starts to twist.

Jaz240 05-12-2009 01:36 PM

are you sure the set screw in your allen driver is tight?

If it is, notch out the screw with a dremel. make a flat head notch and use the biggest flat head screwdriver you have. Tap the screw with the end of a solder iron if you have one, if not heat it with a hair dryer. Screw should come right out

mechanic77 05-12-2009 01:42 PM

Worst case, you could take a drill with a drill bit slightly bigger than the screw shank itself and drill the head off of the screws. I've had to do that before and it works good if you're careful. I can usually just unscrew what is left of the screw, but I don't use loctite. It might not leave you enough to grab with pliers to unscrew if it has been loctited in real good. Heat does help. Good luck.

beginner4life 05-12-2009 01:56 PM

Alright, looks like i am going to use the dremel method, thanks, i'll let u know how i do

pinky2252s 05-12-2009 02:39 PM

sometimes ill get the cheap L shaped allen wrenches and cut the short part off and put the long part in a drill. works perfect..

beginner4life 05-12-2009 02:43 PM

damn, i can't find the little bit that you use with the cut-off wheels.

cary 05-12-2009 03:08 PM

heat up the screw (heat gun) or something like that
this may help or just drill the head off that workes the
best

gotspeed_2000 05-12-2009 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cary (Post 5803883)
heat up the screw (heat gun) or something like that
this may help or just drill the head off that workes the
best

I agree, it you used thread lock it might help to heat up the screw to break it loose. If you remove the fuel tank and clean up the residue, I recommend using a lighter with the flame hitting the screw. Then try to loosen it up. This might be a better chance in atleast loosening up one of the screws. Loosen one up then you can twist the other a bit to loosen it up a bit. Good luck.

beginner4life 05-12-2009 07:23 PM

Alright i put the car on it's side, put the allen driver in, then used pliers to rurn it, i got one of the 2 that were stuck out. But the other one just stripped, damn.

mfrosty 05-12-2009 07:44 PM

Just dremel it, I have to do it all the time. Just be careful not to cut into the chassis too much, use a used cutoff wheel that's smaller and you should be good to go.

gotspeed_2000 05-12-2009 07:57 PM

Actually, if you can "spin" the mount it will help you get the mount off. When I was running kyosho, you could spin the mount to loosen up the screw. When doing this, apply pressure to the screw head and it will loosen up a bit.

beginner4life 05-13-2009 12:12 PM

Mike, i was talking about the thing u put the cutoff wheel on, that goes into the dremel. i can't find it. Maybe when u dropped off the fuel, u could help me out?

Integra 05-13-2009 12:49 PM

A mini Butane torch will 99.9% of the time work perfectly when trying to get out a stubborn screw....especially the motor mount screw's that tent to get alot of loc tite build up over time....hit the head of the screw for 15-20seconds and it should turn out like there was never any loc tite in the first place.

I realize you stripped them now but this would be for future reference...the easiest way to get them out now would be with the dremel and THIN cut off wheel...the torch would also help with the loctite.

mfrosty 05-13-2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by beginner4life (Post 5808031)
Mike, i was talking about the thing u put the cutoff wheel on, that goes into the dremel. i can't find it. Maybe when u dropped off the fuel, u could help me out?

I've got a bunch of them, I can hook you up

beginner4life 05-13-2009 01:24 PM

alright thanks, i found it, but i still need a smaller cutoff wheel.