R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Share your biggest duh or what was I thinking (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/296413-share-your-biggest-duh-what-i-thinking.html)

bgbelden 05-12-2009 08:01 AM

Just two weeks ago i forgot my body and my buddy, track is 40 min away so there was some lost time. And i almost forget my radio every time.

omarwashington 05-12-2009 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BIG RE (Post 5802144)
The first time I ever rebuilt any shocks(10 years ago), I emptied out the oil into a coke can, I get that all done and put my battery on the charger so I can try them out, anyway, I come back when it finishes, and I spot the coke can forgetting I had emptied into it, grab it and take a nice big mouthful of dirty shock oil.

lol

something similar happened to me but not rc related. My mom collects old cooking oil into a mug and places it next to the stove. Not knowing any better I thought it was soda, I take a quiet a large sip only to find out that this shit is cooking oil.

Brandon Melton 05-12-2009 08:28 AM

A friend of mine's car wasn't couting before a race, so I had the idea of grabbing my extra PT out of my radio box.

I then run over to the track with his car is one hand and my PT in the other and "swiped" the PT over the loop to see if it would count. Well DUH, a PT has to be plugged into the receiver for power for it to work. Too many years of the the old track transponders I guess.:lol:

My other "duh" moment was when I ran a modified class at the Reedy Race of Champions, and I was using the just released TC Spec ESC, so I didn't take the time to read the manual because I had set up many LRP's before, well it took me 3 practice rounds of cutting off at 3:30 secs into the run to realize that they were set up default in LIPO mode and I was running nimh!! I thought I was just getting crappy runtime until an LRP rep told me I was in lipo mode, felt like a dummy for sure.

PTP Racing 05-12-2009 08:54 AM

Ive had so many different moments like this but the one that comes to mind first is on my very first 1/8th buggy (GS Storm RTR) I rebuilt all the diffs when I got it. Then I fired it up threw it down and pulled the trigger and it shot backwards.....apparently you can install the diffs either way and I installed both front and back ones backwards. :blush:

Jaz240 05-12-2009 09:37 AM

The link below is a thread from a few months ago. It has some of the funniest shit I have ever read. It is still the thread I enjoyed the most even though it died. Read it if you get time, there are actually stories that will have you cracking up laughing..One guy filled his bulkheads with diff oil, instead of putting it inside the diffs:weird: He was curious why the oil was leaking out everywhere..that was my favorite:lol:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...oments-rc.html

DOMIT 05-12-2009 09:38 AM

The first time I ever rebuilt any shocks(10 years ago), I emptied out the oil into a coke can, I get that all done and put my battery on the charger so I can try them out, anyway, I come back when it finishes, and I spot the coke can forgetting I had emptied into it, grab it and take a nice big mouthful of dirty shock oil.

Trust me, it doesn't taste any more like beer than it does like coke. :lol:

megasaxon 05-12-2009 09:44 AM

OMG thats priceless!!! :ha::ha::ha::ha::ha::ha:

Brandon Melton 05-12-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by PTP Racing (Post 5802604)
Ive had so many different moments like this but the one that comes to mind first is on my very first 1/8th buggy (GS Storm RTR) I rebuilt all the diffs when I got it. Then I fired it up threw it down and pulled the trigger and it shot backwards.....apparently you can install the diffs either way and I installed both front and back ones backwards. :blush:

good thing you didn't have one going one way and the other opposite, pulling against each other. That could have been some damage, lol.

Filling the bulkheads with diff fluid, that's a classic, made me laugh out loud, but then again I've been laughed at so it's all good.

DOMIT 05-12-2009 09:51 AM

Ohhhhhh... reading back on the other thread reminded me of something...

At the RC Pro Series race in Austin recently, my buddy Ron was replacing the pivot balls and uprights on his MBX6. He tends to make sure things are TIGHT.

Well... he had everything together, and we put it on the Hudy... started to adjust it... TINK! the front CVA snapped where the pin goes through the hub. Hmmmm... strange. So he takes the HUDY parts off, locates another CVA and installs it... puts the car on the bench and leaves it sitting there while looking for something (a wrench he had put aside or something.) We hear something hit the "ez-up" canopy, then bounce off the table.

He asks me "did you throw something at me?" I told him no... I was just sitting there drinking a beer.

WHILE the car was sitting on the table, the other CVA snapped and it launched hard enough to hit the canopy and fall back to the table!

Overtightened? Defective parts? A haunted car? We haven't figured it out for sure yet.

Jaz240 05-12-2009 10:40 AM

My two biggest stupid moments to date have been:

My first ever Nitro RC before I learned anything about engine temps, return springs or failsafes..I was doing full speed passes in a parking lot and during on pass at WOT my car just kept going. I ran after it only to see it hit a curb and actually explode! I guess the engine was so hot the cracked tank splashed fuel on it and Poof! I had no choice but to watch and scream as my buggy melted to the ground. Nothing left but the two front tires and wheels. It still hangs in one of my LHS as a chard twisted ash with a sign stating "Don't let this happen to you" learn before you burn!

My second stupidest thing ever was doing high speed 360's around myself and taking my eye off the buggy for a second only to crash into my own ankle, and proceed to the hospital for 6 stitches!

I have definitely learned some painful and expensive lessons

markr04 05-12-2009 11:45 AM

I spent a month adjusting everything to keep my buggy from pushing. I bought a Smart Diff, changed diff fluids frequently, etc.

Last Saturday, a guy spent 5 seconds telling me that my servo saver was loose.

Boy is my face red.

Now I have to learn to drive it all over again.

ehames005 05-12-2009 06:35 PM

One of my many WTF moments I was rebuilding a V-spec for the first time. Got it all toether and installed in my buggy and for the life of me I could not get it to start I twisted all directions on the tuning needles and new glow plugs all to no use....... So I take it apart and look at the manual and realise that I have the piston in backwards!!!!! I was so mad at myself

xlt69er 05-12-2009 06:59 PM

I just had a wtf moment actually. I just painted my first body and here is the mistakes I made.

First of all I placed the masking on the outside of the body. Took me a few minutes to relaize what I had done.

Secondly I placed the decals over the protective film. So now I have no decals to put on the body at the moment.

wb-racer-ace 05-12-2009 08:28 PM

same here, but instead of shock oil in a coke can, mine was 30% od fuel in a mt. dew can!!! yummy!!!

dethklok151 05-12-2009 08:28 PM

yeah,i just spent the better part of a practice day using the chassis to tune the push out of a loose servo saver.

this weekend,i was upset over some really slow marshalls.and then the marshall proceeds to carry a dead car off the track,while taking the time to step over my upside down truggy.i thought id get his attention by going into full death rev mode.it must have worked,because after he handed the other dead truck off he came back for mine.blown up v spec and all....