Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
is my gearbox/clutch making funny sounds??? >

is my gearbox/clutch making funny sounds???

is my gearbox/clutch making funny sounds???

Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default is my gearbox/clutch making funny sounds???

my car is making a whining sound (like i can hear the gears or clutch??). It only happens when i let off the throtle. It does not make the sound when i accelerate or idle. I have a busted manifold gasket and i have new clutch springs. (i found the proper gasket after some looking and will pick it up tomorrow) I thought my gear mesh was to tight but i loosened up a bit and it still makes the sound. It is hard to describe the sound almost like the flywheel on the starter box when it's winding up. My guess is it's the sound of the engine (bad muffler gasket) when it's winding down from high rpm without the sound of increased combustion to mask the sound of the leaking manifold gasket. Or i might have a leaking diff??? but the gears move fine. any ideas?? how can i tell if it's one of my differentials???? could it be the new clutch springs?? But i can't remember if it did it with the old springs.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe it's supposed to sound this way????? Is it maybe a bad bearing????
Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's really hard to say over the net. Don't you have a track you can go to? I'm sure the guys will help you with a bunch of this stuff.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It can be new clutch shoes or springs, they will retract very fast and it might be your clutch bell against the spur gear
Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

that makes perfect sense. I also took my back and front end apart the diffs are fine. although the back moves more freely by far (turning the rear drive shaft anyway while it was attached to the car) but when i actually had the rear diff in my hand the normal tension of 2000 diff fluid was still there. but your right i would not hear that sound because when i take of the clutch engages so i would not hear it until i let off the gas. I am using 1.0 springs.

so lighter or wore out springs will give me more punch of the line???? i remember when my clutch springs were bad before i changed them and it would rocket from stand still. Are 1.0 springs to heavy??
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dreaux
that makes perfect sense. I also took my back and front end apart the diffs are fine. although the back moves more freely far (turning the rear drive shaft anyway while it was attached to the car) but when i actually had the rear diff in my hand the normal tension of 2000 diff fluid was still there. but your right i would not hear that sound because when i take of the clutch engages so i would not hear it until i let off the gas. I am using 1.0 springs.
yea they just have to be a bit broken in by just running a bit.

Do you have a steel spur gear?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pinky2252s
yea they just have to be a bit broken in by just running a bit.

Do you have a steel spur gear?
its a mugen mbx6. The gears are pretty heavy and solid.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

its a mugen mbx6. The gears are pretty heavy and solid.

I was just asking because a metal spur and a metal bell make a hum sometimes
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

I was just asking because a metal spur and a metal bell make a hum sometimes
yes it is humming. The gears are all defintley steel. But when i ran it the first time with my other motor when my other springs were new it did not make that sound. I also edited one of my previous post so you problably did not read it. But i was asking if lighter springs give you more punch of the line. Before my old ones went out the car would rocket from a stand still like crazy!! I am using 1.0 springs. Would .9 be better for a tight track??
Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

yes it is humming. The gears are all defintley steel. But when i ran it the first time with my other motor when my other springs were new it did not make that sound. I also edited one of my previous post so you problably did not read it. But i was asking if lighter springs give you more punch of the line. Before my old ones went out the car would rocket from a stand still like crazy!! I am using 1.0 springs. Would .9 be better for a tight track??
Yea it would be but 1.0 are like in between medium performance springs
Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Man I think we need a thread around here called dreaux problems! LOL Seriously the best advise I can give is what I have already given you several times. Get to your local track and ask someone to help you out, preferably someone with the same brand car as you. It is really hard to diagnose and solve problems over the internet!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Man I think we need a thread around here called dreaux problems! LOL Seriously the best advise I can give is what I have already given you several times. Get to your local track and ask someone to help you out, preferably someone with the same brand car as you. It is really hard to diagnose and solve problems over the internet!
Lol if its so hard to slove problems then why are there tons of problems solved here every day?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Lol if its so hard to slove problems then why are there tons of problems solved here every day?
Most problems of this nature are much easier solved in person. That is a fact! There are problems that can be solved easily on the internet, but problems such as this one can be difficult. There are things that are still done better/easier in person.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

the track i go to is very far away and i only go once a week. Just thought i would ask you guys some questions thats all. I will ask guys at the track but it either 1. rains 2. i have no money for parts or gas 3. ole laddy has my day planned out.

tomorrow i will be there all day. and i can't wait but just thought i could get some opinions. Thats all. Didn't mean to annoy anybody. sorry.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm in almost the same boat, can only go once a week, sometimes twice.
HAVE to go tomorrow, because I ripped the inner part of my spur gear out of the rest, and melted it all to hell. Need fuel line, fuel, hopefully nothing else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.