Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Failsafe faux pas... or, Oops...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face Failsafe faux pas... or, Oops...

Make sure your failsafe is turning the servo in the correct direction!

I had (still do) an injured knee when I fell on it again during practice on Thursday. At this point, I was doubled over and seeing black spots... and couldn't hear or see anything else. Endorphins kicked in, reality faded back in, and I heard a car going crazy on the track. It was mine.

I somehow turned off my radio in my confused state. My buggy had taken off from one side of the track, somehow going over several tubes of lane separators, up the wall, back down the wall, and back over even more tubes (one of which tore my pipe off the engine). I didn't see it happen. The guys said it was spectacular, especially since the buggy stayed on its wheels. I'll take their word for it.

Long story short, my failsafe was set to full throttle instead of brakes or neutral. My V-Spec's rod snapped. The bushing on the rod got so hot that it fused copper onto the crank. The piston has a chunk missing from the side of it. It's a total loss.

I can replace the engine, no problem. I humbly thank God, though, that there were no people in its path.

I learned my lesson: Don't assume that your failsafe is set correctly. Check it periodically.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

wow that sux man! glad that it wasn't any worse

i dunno what failsafe you run but my cheezy duratrax one's always show the failsafe setting on intial power up, this make's it easy to distinguish if it is set correctly....
Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Bummer dude. I'll bet Woodchuck has a V-spec he'll let ya use
Old 05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Bummer dude. I'll bet Woodchuck has a V-spec he'll let ya use
just had to twist the knife......

that sucks mark, sold your GO and this happins. well you have the new v-spec in the truggy, pull that for now. i would like to have seen this though.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck

that sucks mark, sold your GO and this happins. well you have the new v-spec in the truggy, pull that for now. i would like to have seen this though.
I was being serious..seeing as though Mark lent you his truggy, I figured you would return the favor
Old 05-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oh, I was there along with Thomas. It WAS rather spectacular, pretty unbelievable how that thing took tumble after tumble, climbed a wall and flew through the air several times always landing on its wheels. The noise it made hitting the wood board on the left rear corner/wall was increadible. Hell the noise that a V-Spec with no pipe on it running at full throttle upside down once it did stay on its back was just crazy.........right up until the point at which the noise abruptly stopped.

I helped Mark pull the engine apart and there is copper fuzed unto the bottom of the crankpin and the top is black/blue/purple it got so hot. It was the big end that let loose, the bearing was in one piece and just stretched out like Christy Canyon's.....nevermind. The case is good, the bearings felt all right (even though I would probably replace them do to metal particles getting it the rear at least) and the carb of corse good.

It sucks that this happened, but it is a lessoned learned. I know that i checked my failsafe right after it happened.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck

I did that for the races on Saturday... and moved the RE11 pipe over with it. I hadn't run a V-Spec + RE11 until now, really. I'm loving that combo on my buggy.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by USP45
stretched out like Christy Canyon's.....nevermind.
This may go over (or under) the heads of people younger than us. But I did LOL.