Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Changing engine bearings >

Changing engine bearings

Changing engine bearings

Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Changing engine bearings

Can I change my own engine bearings in my O.S. and Go motors? I've never disassembled a motor and am not sure what all is involved. Do I need special tools, I see some tools available. I'm not sure if I have an air leak and just figured the upgrade would help anyways and possibly resolve running problems.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes there are tool to change the engine bearing but are expensive. A lot of ppl will tell you to stick the engine in the over and heat it up but I would get the bearing removing tool. It all depends on the size of the bearing but I am woundering what other ppl will say as well..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Babygrand48
Can I change my own engine bearings in my O.S. and Go motors? I've never disassembled a motor and am not sure what all is involved. Do I need special tools, I see some tools available. I'm not sure if I have an air leak and just figured the upgrade would help anyways and possibly resolve running problems.
I use the GRP engine tooling system it makes life a lot easier. I have done it the hard way too - take out the cylinder and piston and remove the crank and then heat up the block and tap out the bearings, the front one comes out easier than the rear one. For $170 or so the tool makes life much easier and it has a tool for each part of the engine to completely disassemble it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I just done the bearings in my RB S7, I also went to a ceramic bearings from TKO. If you are some what mechanical inclined you can do it. All you need is new bearings some tools and a oven no special tools needed. Go to RB concepts web site and they have a great demonstration on how to remove bearings from a engine.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Use the heating method whether you have the tools or not. It's far easier on the case and the bearings since it's a press fit. I find the rear bearing falls right out with the case heated to ~300f. Use the crank as your insertion tool to put the bearings back in.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Take a look at the Ofna engine bearing puller p/n #10798,makes the job very fast and easy.I can change front and rear in about ten minutes,a little heat from a heat gun doesnt hurt. Amainhobbies has it for under $60.00.
TKO ceramic bearings are amazing....Good luck!